• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robirdstx

robirdstx

Added mushrooms.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Do you cook the vegetables and the meat separately?  I have seen recipes for beef stew that looked good but everything was cooked at the same time which made me think of mushy veggies.  Yours looks delicious.

Thank you! I cook the meat first, then add the vegetables. Here is what I did this time:

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, then browned it in the pot. Then I added beef broth, sweet vermouth, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, a bay leaf and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 15 minutes with Natural Release. Added the potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms and more broth and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 6 minutes and Quick Release. Thickened the gravy with xanthum gum, added frozen peas, covered and left on Keep Warm for about 20 minutes.

robirdstx

robirdstx

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Do you cook the vegetables and the meat separately?  I have seen recipes for beef stew that looked good but everything was cooked at the same time which made me think of mushy veggies.  Yours looks delicious.

Thank you! I cook the meat first, then add the vegetables. Here is what I did this time:

I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper, then browned it in the pot. Then I added beef broth, sweet vermouth, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, a bay leaf and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 15 minutes with Natural Release. Added the potatoes, carrots, onion and more broth and cooked on Manual at High Pressure for 6 minutes and Quick Release. Thickened the gravy with xanthum gum, added frozen peas, covered and left on Keep Warm for about 20 minutes.