• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Am i missing something?

are you hoping for a unique texture?

inquiring, Sous viding, minds want to know!

I don't think you're really missing anything. These were shoulder chops and I have often cooked them in the past on the grill or on the stove top and found them to be adequately tender. My last two times doing them sous vide, I've had less success. I've gone anywhere now from 1 1/2 to about six hours at a temperature of anywhere from 54.5° to, I think,  58°C.  I suspect they need closer to 24 hours.  But I also think it must have a great deal to do with the age of the lamb!

Anna N

Anna N

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Am i missing something?

are you hoping for a unique texture?

inquiring, Sous viding, minds want to know!

I don't think you're really missing anything. These were shoulder chops and I have often cooked them in the past on the grill or on the stove top and found them to be adequately tender. My last two times doing them sous vide, I've had less success. I've gone anywhere now from 1 1/2 to about six hours at a temperature of anywhere from 54.5° to,  I think 58°C.  I suspect they need closer to 24 hours.  But I also think it must have a great deal to do with the age of the lamb!