• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

spelling

If anyone wonders what happened to the tomatoes and fish sauce from last night's pesce alla marinara...

PastaWithFishSauceSailorsStyle.png

Pasta with fish sauce, sailors style, p 170.  I would not make this again.  As good as last night's branzino was, I found the sauce far too sweet.  In general I do not enjoy cooked tomatoes, or anything really sweet, without a balancing bitterness or acidity.  And, yes, apparently I have a gene for this.

Bugialli may be turning in his grave* but when no one was looking I poured red wine vinegar over it.  Better, but there are still leftovers.  Lemon juice might have been a further improvement but I would have had to get up off my chair.  Lots of red pepper was another possibility.

*As far as I know Bugialli is not actually dead, though he does not answer his email.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

If anyone wonders what happened to the tomatoes and fish sauce from last night's pesce alla marinara...

PastaWithFishSauceSailorsStyle.png

Pasta with fish sauce, sailors style, p 170.  I would not make this again.  As good as last night's branzino was, I found the sauce far too sweet.  In general I do not enjoy cooked tomatoes, or anything really sweet, without a balancing bitterness or acidity.  And, yes, apparently I have a gene for this.

Bugialli may be turning in his grave* but when no one was looking I poured red wine vinegar over it.  Better, but there are still leftovers.  Lemon juice might have been a further improvement but I would have had to get up off my chair.  Lots of red pepper was another possibility.

*As far as I know Bugially is not actually dead, though he does not answer his email.