• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yesterday afternoon, I bought  a bunch of large, live shrimp.

Last night, I stir fried them with garlic, ginger, white chilli, Shaoxing wine and Dragon Well Tea (龙井茶  lóng jǐng chá) and served as the main component of dinner.

20170819_125442.thumb.jpg.e203f0697772cf119da73858ce3136e3.jpg

Fuchsia Dunlop has a more refined recipe for Dragon Well tea with shrimp in Land of Fish and Rice, but she uses shelled shrimp and little flavouring - certainly no chilli. Fine though her dish is, I was trying to recreate a dish from Hunan which I have eaten in restaurants many times. The Hunan dish uses freshwater shrimp (Hunan is landlocked) but I used sea shrimp from the Gulf of Tonkiin near the China-Vietnam border.

Messy finger food. Fun!

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yesterday afternoon, I bought  a bunch of large, live shrimp.

Last night, I stir fried them with garlic, ginger, white chilli, Shaoxing wine and Dragon Well Tea (龙井茶  lóng jǐng chá) and served as the main component of dinner.

20170819_125442.thumb.jpg.e203f0697772cf119da73858ce3136e3.jpg

Fuchsia Dunlop has a more refined recipe for Dragon Well tea with shrimp in Land of Fish and Rice, but she uses shelled shrimp and little flavouring - certainly no chilli. Fine dish though her dish is, I was trying to recreate a dish from Hunan which I have eaten in restaurants many times. The Hunan dish uses freshwater shrimp (Hunan is landlocked) but I used sea shrimp from the Gulf of Tonkiin near the China-Vietnam border.

Messy finger food. Fun!