• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MelissaH

MelissaH

Relationship clarity

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

@Norm Matthews thanks for posting the link & recipe. Stuffing shells has always seemed like such a pain to me. I wonder if you could turn this into a lasagna and just use lasagna noodles instead of the shells? Do you think there would be enough "stuff" in this recipe for the layering required of lasagnas?

We actually wondered the same thing, when my MIL talked about making this recipe. But she opted to go with Mexican-ish instead of making her life a whole lot easier and buying a couple of lasagnas from the local Italian shop, which makes terrific lasagna from quality ingredients, because our niece (her granddaughter)s husband "doesn't like lasagna." I'd certainly go for an easier option, either layering it into lasagna (and in my case, probably using the Cook's Illustrated trick of soaking no-boil noodles in hot tap water for 5 minutes, then laying them in a single layer on kitchen towels until they're needed, so you don't need to worry about getting the pasta hydrated in the lasagna), rolling it inside of crepes a la cannelloni, or even taking it a step closer to Mexican and using corn tortillas instead of traditional pasta.

MelissaH

MelissaH

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

@Norm Matthews thanks for posting the link & recipe. Stuffing shells has always seemed like such a pain to me. I wonder if you could turn this into a lasagna and just use lasagna noodles instead of the shells? Do you think there would be enough "stuff" in this recipe for the layering required of lasagnas?

We actually wondered the same thing, when my MIL talked about making this recipe. But she opted to go with Mexican-ish instead of making her life a whole lot easier and buying a couple of lasagnas from the local Italian shop, which makes terrific lasagna from quality ingredients, because our niece (her granddaughter's husband) "doesn't like lasagna." I'd certainly go for an easier option, either layering it into lasagna (and in my case, probably using the Cook's Illustrated trick of soaking no-boil noodles in hot tap water for 5 minutes, then laying them in a single layer on kitchen towels until they're needed, so you don't need to worry about getting the pasta hydrated in the lasagna), rolling it inside of crepes a la cannelloni, or even taking it a step closer to Mexican and using corn tortillas instead of traditional pasta.