• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Odd sort of day. I hate to wait all day for a workman to come up to do some essential maintenance. I only knew he would arrive sometime today. Yes, they work Sundays - we are atheists here, don't you know? But I knew he wouldn't come before 8:30 - 9:00, so I nipped out for breakfast.

Back before 8:30 (People get up early here. Breakfast starts around 6 am.) and then waited all morning. Then I knew he wouldn't come between 12:00 noon and 2:30 pm. Siesta culture. So I nipped for for some noodles for lunch.

I then thought about dinner, as you do, but he was due to be doing the work in the kitchen, so I didn't wanted to start preparing, then have him turn up and I would have to put everything away again.

3:30 pm he turned up, saw what I wanted doing (I had already told him on the phone) and he said he would be back soon with some tools. I don't get it. Chinese workmen, electricians, plumbers etc never bring tools with them, arrive and say I'll go get my tools.

So he did, then he had to go again to buy parts. The result was it was nearly 6 pm when he finished and I'd done no shopping or preparation for dinner. So, the freezer bailed me out again.

Took some wild prawns which I had frozen and curried them. Served with a side of okra which I forgot to photograph but remembered to eat. The blue patch in the images is light coming from my computer monitor. It isn't poisonous.

p1.thumb.jpg.601ffba18a87b8bf52ceb12e6c2b12ad.jpg

p2.thumb.jpg.b532b9d7f02211bf7fe43590269f4959.jpg

Famous last words

liuzhou

liuzhou

Odd sort of day. I hate to wait all day for a workman to come up to do some essential maintenance. I only knew he would arrive sometime today. I knew he wouldn't come before 8:30 - 9:00, so I nipped out for breakfast.

Back before 8:30 (People get up early here. Breakfast starts around 6 am.) and then waited all morning. Then I knew he wouldn't come between 12:00 noon and 2:30 pm. Siesta culture. So I nipped for for some noodles for lunch.

I then thought about dinner, as you do, but he was due to be doing the work in the kitchen, so I didn't wanted to start preparing, then have him turn up and I would have to put everything away again.

3:30 pm he turned up, saw what I wanted doing (I had already told him on the phone) and he said he would be back soon with some tools. I don't get it. Chinese workmen, electricians, plumbers etc never bring tools with them, arrive and say I'll go get my tools.

So he did, then he had to go again to buy parts. The result was it was nearly 6 pm when he finished and I'd done no shopping or preparation for dinner. So, the freezer bailed me out again.

Took some wild prawns which I had frozen and curried them. Served with a side of okra which I forgot to photograph but remembered to eat. The blue patch in the images is light coming from my computer monitor. It isn't poisonous.

p1.thumb.jpg.601ffba18a87b8bf52ceb12e6c2b12ad.jpg

p2.thumb.jpg.b532b9d7f02211bf7fe43590269f4959.jpg

Famous last words