• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I forgot to take a picture but tonight's dinner was a variation on  "Speedy Lasagna" from Patricia Wells Trattoria. The original has lots of sautéed onions, (home) canned tomatoes put through a food mill, some red pepper flakes and an herb bundle (rosemary, parsley, thyme, bay leaves). Then quite a lot of ricotta added when you combine the sauce with the pasta (fettucine in this case). It just happened that I had some sweet Italian sausage sitting in the fridge approaching its "use or die" date so I cooked that up and stirred it in. I actually think I like the vegetarian version better but my husband really liked this variation. Served with a big salad - it is lettuce and other greens from the garden season!

I chose this menu because I had 2/3 of a container of ricotta left over from an earlier meal. No recipe (for 2 people) seems to need an entire container of ricotta and way too often the partial container simply goes to waste. I am making an effort to plan meals that use up the entire container. Is this a problem for other people? With what other foods does this happen?

ElainaA

ElainaA

I forgot to take a picture but tonight's dinner was a variation on  "Speedy Lasagna" from Patricia Wells Trattoria. The original has lots of sautéed onions, (home) canned tomatoes put through a food mill, some red pepper flakes and an herb bundle (rosemary, parsley, thyme, bay leaves). Then quite a lot of ricotta added when you combine the sauce with the pasta (fettucine in this case). It just happened that I had some sweet Italian sausage sitting in the fridge approaching its "use or die" date so I cooked that up and stirred it in. I actually think I like the vegetarian version better but my husband really liked this variation. Served with a big salad - it is lettuce and other greens from the garden season!