• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelato Base help required

austin_adams

Currently, I am using a recipe, which gives me the below mentioned texture.

My current recipe:

Milk (4.5% FAT) - 1003 gms
Fresh Cream (25% FAT) - 160 gms
Sugar - 115 gms
Dextrose Monohydrate - 80 gms
Maltodextrin - 50 gms
SMP - 50 gms
Corn Powder - 1.5 gms
Pregel Neutro Base - 5 gms
CarboxyMethylChloride - 1 gm
Emulsifier - 3 gms

The problem with this recipe is that the creaminess of my Gelato is less and it is a bit heavier and granier in nature.

I would be grateful if you may suggest ways to pump in more air in my Gelato and let me know if my recipe need any more tinkering. I pasteurize the mix to 80 degrees and age for 4 hours before using it in my batch freezer. My serving temperature is -15 degrees.

Current Texture using my receipe
   Current Texture of Gelato

However, my target texture of Gelato is shown below.

1.jpg

Thank you for your help in advance and awaiting your reply.

On 6/27/2017 at 7:35 AM, austin_adams said:
Milk (4.5% FAT) - 1003 gms
Fresh Cream (25% FAT) - 160 gms
Sugar - 115 gms
Dextrose Monohydrate - 80 gms
Maltodextrin - 50 gms
SMP - 50 gms
Corn Powder - 1.5 gms
Pregel Neutro Base - 5 gms
CarboxyMethylChloride - 1 gm
Emulsifier - 3 gms
1 hour ago, weinoo said:

It's funny, but when I make gelato, I use milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and maybe fruit - and it comes out great.

The above reads like a chemistry experiment.

Yeah, that is quite the long list.  Does each of the bottom six ingredients have a specific, purposeful role?  Do they copy a commercial stabilizer mix?  I've used Cremodan but never tried to put together my own stabilizer mix. 

Is the maltodextrin the same stuff you use to make powders out of oils?  If so, what does that do for ice cream?   If not, what is it?

This recipe is very low fat, I'd try changing the proportions of milk:cream, maybe add a touch more sugar.  Are you trying to avoid using eggs?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, pastrygirl said:

Yeah, that is quite the long list.  Does each of the bottom six ingredients have a specific, purposeful role?  Do they copy a commercial stabilizer mix?  I've used Cremodan but never tried to put together my own stabilizer mix. 

That's my question too. It makes it hard to understand what's going on. 

I'd suggest starting with a commercial stabilizer that includes an emulsifier. Then you can skip the corn starch, the pregel-whatever-it-is, the carboxymethylchloride, and the maltodextrin. I'd suggest increasing the nonfat milk solids by quite a bit, considering you're making a relatively low fat gelato. Lots of milk solids is usually the key to great texture in any ice cream. 

It's certainly possible to concoct your own stabilizer blend, and it gives you the most control, but you want to know what you're doing. All the ingredients are interactive. Your current recipe includes what looks like a mashup of commercial stabilizers and individual stabilizing ingredients. Best to simplify before adding complications.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly