Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)


Recommended Posts

Today's afternoon snack:

IMG_3035.jpg.f9890bbe78c1ee94c400e9c493e4187d.jpg

Typical southern treat of cream cheese, pepper jelly, and crackers.  I don’t have any Ritz, so Keebler Wheat crackers are subbing.  It’s funny that I like pepper jelly since I have an aversion to all things bell pepper.  I like pimento cheese, too.  But the only other pepper thing that I’ve liked in my entire life is an amuse brought to the table at Mon Oncle in Paris – baguette slices, mascarpone, and chopped candied/pickled red bell pepper (sounds like the French version of my snack, huh?). 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Today's afternoon snack:

 

Typical southern treat of cream cheese, pepper jelly, and crackers.  I don’t have any Ritz, so Keebler Wheat crackers are subbing.  It’s funny that I like pepper jelly since I have an aversion to all things bell pepper.  I like pimento cheese, too.  But the only other pepper thing that I’ve liked in my entire life is an amuse brought to the table at Mon Oncle in Paris – baguette slices, mascarpone, and chopped candied/pickled red bell pepper (sounds like the French version of my snack, huh?). 

 

didn't you like the duck or chicken liver with pepper jelly at Cochon in NOLA ? Maybe someone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kim Shook 

 

see what it the pepper jelly 

 

if its hot dish , I doubt there are any bell's in it

 

but cant say

 

TJ's pepper jelly has red and green chili's in it.

 

you can smell them when you open the jar.

 

Im going to have to go back soon and get a large stock of the stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Today's afternoon snack:

IMG_3035.jpg.f9890bbe78c1ee94c400e9c493e4187d.jpg

Typical southern treat of cream cheese, pepper jelly, and crackers.  I don’t have any Ritz, so Keebler Wheat crackers are subbing.  It’s funny that I like pepper jelly since I have an aversion to all things bell pepper.  I like pimento cheese, too.  But the only other pepper thing that I’ve liked in my entire life is an amuse brought to the table at Mon Oncle in Paris – baguette slices, mascarpone, and chopped candied/pickled red bell pepper (sounds like the French version of my snack, huh?). 

 

This makes me long for my preferred variation of this dish -- cream cheese, crackers and Jezebel sauce (apricot jam and lots of horseradish). Sadly, I can't eat the soft wheat crackers any more, and I don't think I have any horseradish in the fridge. I DO think there's a jar of apricot preserves, though.

 

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

 

see what it the pepper jelly 

 

if its hot dish , I doubt there are any bell's in it

 

but cant say

 

TJ's pepper jelly has red and green chili's in it.

 

you can smell them when you open the jar.

 

Im going to have to go back soon and get a large stock of the stuff.

As far as I know, all southern pepper jelly has bell peppers in it.  Sometimes hot peppers are also added, but this kind (Braswell) and the one that I make has bell peppers.  

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TicTac said:

If you like mushrooms - you will love these...

 

DJ & A Shiitake Mushroom Crisps Lightly Cooked & Seasoned 5.29 OZ

https://www.amazon.ca/Shiitake-Mushroom-Crisps-Lightly-Seasoned/dp/B07CY9GPN3

 

Addictive stuff.

 

I get them at Costco in big bags!

 

I love those. I get a different (Chinese) brand, but the same thing really. I always have a bag or two to hand.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of those sweet meaty figs that are in season now, cut in half. Two toasted walnuts halves, each placed in a fig slice. Perfect :P 

  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Chipotle chips, guac, salsa that are left over from the monthly office meeting.  The glass reads “the real housewives of Chesapeake Beach”.  It was given to me by a neighbor.  Housewife I am not.  

EB28869C-C096-4905-98C4-E77FD5B6DB42.jpeg.d01bbf0b28d9b1f1edd0571405a6ba39.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in a Hawaiian Japanese area these are always on offer. I just find the nuts too one note buttery. But they ARE popular. Glad you enjoy them. I prefer the in tact nuts in a bowl as visual art and the cockie loved the challenge of cracking as they do not really have a "seam".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently snacking on Lays Ruffle Double Crunch Zesty Cheddar (click) potato chips.

They're insanely crunchy.

Plus, they seem to have the littlest of spiciness to them. Guess that's the "Zesty" part, go figure. ¬¬ xD

  • Like 1

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago, a co-worker of Mr. Kim's made a quick loaf and left it in the freezer for the people still working on his floor.  No one else would touch it, so he brought it home.  When she heard how much I loved it, she sent us the recipe and made us another loaf – Crumb-Topped Cocoa Banana Bread:

  IMG_3488.jpg.2bfd1307ae52616c9ec6cee82d214de1.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, don't misunderstand me; I like a nice classic Magnum from time to time. But. today when I looked in the supermarket freezer they only had these.

 

20200918_181949.thumb.jpg.8fb4f3b8a3034537a438b567f984f429.jpg

 

Matcha Magnums?! There ought to be a law! Hanging is too good for them!

 

When I want a cup of tea, I'll make tea! When I want a Magnum, I want a Magnum!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...