• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

I notice that recipes for the hearts are bizarre when it comes to cooking times. One online recipe suggests frying them for up to 25 mintutes! Mine had about three! Those in the recipe would be inedible. They toughen up once they get beyond medium rare, something the recipe acknowledges far too late.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have never actually eaten chicken hearts, but I suspect I would enjoy them. They are certainly not readily available, but I’m sure they would be in one of the Asian stores. I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea. I take it that you are of the latter persuasion.

They're pretty much always to be found at Sobeys and Superstore, but often they're in the frozen section. I buy them occasionally when I think of it.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

37 minutes ago, chromedome said:

They're pretty much always to be found at Sobeys and Superstore, but often they're in the frozen section. I buy them occasionally when I think of it.

Well, well, well. I thought it was worth plugging “chicken hearts” into my online store, Fortino’s. And lo and behold there they are. Fresh chicken hearts! Not sure I’m up to actually cleaning and cooking them but it’s nice to know I could. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, Anna N said:

Well, well, well. I thought it was worth plugging “chicken hearts” into my online store, Fortino’s. And lo and behold there they are. Fresh chicken hearts! Not sure I’m up to actually cleaning and cooking them but it’s nice to know I could. 

Might be a cultural thing, but chances are minimal to no prep will be required for our Canadian chicken hearts...must be all the fresh air and snow up north here, our birds hearts are just not bitter!

Chuck a pack into your next batch of stock and enjoy.  I like mine with horseradish!

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

pickles

What sort of pickles, please? Eyes do not interpret photographs well anymore. (Only for some is a picture worth 1000 words.)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The crispy bits left from rendering chicken skin. Sprinkled with salt and shichimi togarashi after draining the fat. This is the only picture I could take (as this part was reserved for decorating a dish later this week) - the slightly larger main part was practically inhaled 🙄

EBFF5D33-13DB-41E5-A513-8D7176705DC7.thumb.jpeg.804d0bf52112ecef0665b17e02fc329d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The crispy bits left from rendering chicken skin. Sprinkled

Gribenes!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What sort of pickles, please? Eyes do not interpret photographs well anymore. (Only for some is a picture worth 1000 words.)

They are 酸乔头 (suān qiáo tóu), Chinese Onions or Allium chinense G.Don. A bit like scallion heads but more bulbous.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just now, liuzhou said:

They are 酸乔头 (suān qiáo tóu), Chinese Onions or Allium chinense G.Don. A bit like scallion heads but more bulbous.

I kind of thought that something like that might be the answer. I was torn between garlic and onions but neither one seem to fit exactly.  Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

969259C6-0AF1-4D7C-8C60-F0CF67C1E8B2.thumb.jpeg.54da1aeaf113633ba0c2dfa7c18c199c.jpeg

Roasted marinated artichokes and mixed mushrooms.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/9/2023 at 3:41 PM, liuzhou said:

油浸烟熏牡蛎罐头 (yóu jìn yān xūn mǔ lì guàn tou), smoked oysters in oil with kelp slivers 海带丝 (hǎi dài sī).

403616186_smokedoysters4.thumb.jpg.88d7b7cc3d1f377ddf82ef782670bbb2.jpg

495278168_smokedoysters3.thumb.jpg.b0e5a389f963e3054a77fc959e494675.jpg

750422143_smokedoysters2.thumb.jpg.2d50162b1526a17c6f79d6c363780b0a.jpg

A new addiction.

Those were a lunch staple when I was doing geology in northern Canada. But I would just eat them out of the tin by stabbing them with my sheath-knife. Here they often come in plastic vacuum packs. I think I have one in my fridge.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

This seems like as good a thread as any. I took one for the team and ordered some duck wings and duck tongue at the Korean takeaway:

image.thumb.jpeg.d9762aa6c1565574e36eb92e1e30ce59.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01756e369282940109d0113931455294.jpeg

Not a lot of meat, lots of bones so I understand why the owner said they like to sit around eating these and drinking beer. They were ok but I probably won't be ordering them again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

6C9A0B0B-6EF3-46D2-882B-F3B449428D27.thumb.jpeg.d9b6cb797bb71077db2cf603ec1ff6e7.jpeg

I had two of these that were fast approaching compostage! Braised in butter and chicken stock. 

1D6C8968-1895-4103-BE33-B06BE092A22D.thumb.jpeg.18c5262b5cadb63444f92e1b60a3aa20.jpeg

Later in the day some frozen cherries and some delicious and very expensive sour cream. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ginger ale (two cans!) and 65% reduced fat potato chips.  Sounds gross but actually not half bad.  Hospital trying its best to pump salt and liquids into me.  Plus the low fat chips don’t get the iPad greasy.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Nori flavoured crackers, cheddar cheese and nori.

Well it will have to be plain crackers but I will certainly give this a try. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ginger ale (two cans!) and 65% reduced fat potato chips.  Sounds gross but actually not half bad.  Hospital trying its best to pump salt and liquids into me.  Plus the low fat chips don’t get the iPad greasy.

A few gin and tonics and Pringles (also not greasy or messy) is my standard airplane munch.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Imported from Bombay (Mumbai).

I used to see a selection of these snack mixes in the Indian stores when I was visiting them. I never got around to trying them.

My 2004 eG Blog