• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

A little freezer gift:

1-IMG_1006.jpg.da93b6600dd5b0fedebd391fb14ebe15.jpg

A Hot Cross Bun that my MIL made for us.  Mr. Kim found a whole bag of them on a recent freezer dive and we've been eating them all week!

I love those things.  I usually butter them on the cut side and "toast" them in a frying pan on medium-high heat.  The cut side is nice and crispy and the bun is heated through.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

45 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Because I can; because I want to; because I can afford to (occasionally).

Good for you. My grandma always said, “A bit of what  you fancy does you good.” Probably more efficacious than TCM.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

edamame

I have never understood the appeal. That’s just a statement of my personal taste not any sort of judgement on anyone else’s. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have never understood the appeal. That’s just a statement of my personal taste not any sort of judgement on anyone else’s. 

It's a bean thing!

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's a bean thing!

I thought so, but I have been avoiding whining about my bean aversion, because I know it has become pretty boring. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Chef's treat: Rabbit liver, heart and kidneys. Lovely! Just fried in olive oil with salt and pepper.

1398882798__20221130135640.thumb.jpg.37c1a6a8848b62971c230db44ed2d3b9.jpg

A few of ours have will have their date with destiny in another week or so, and that'll be my reward for doing the skinning and cleaning.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/30/2022 at 10:21 AM, lindag said:

This probably could have gone into the 'Ill never again' thread.

I made the mistake of buying a 1# bag of luscious cashew from Nuts.com.

Took me no time to  finish them off.

So I bought some stuff from Zingermans which included a ZZang Candy Bar. I don't usually like dark chocolate but I ate it anyway.

The whole bar (it was small). Yum, yum, yum. And I would eat one everyday like an Advent Calendar, if only I had been smart enough to buy more than one bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, lindag said:

This probably could have gone into the 'Ill never again' thread.

I made the mistake of buying a 1# bag of luscious cashew from Nuts.com.

Took me no time to  finish them off.

Nuts.com is Mr. Kim's kryptonite.  We always seem to have a grocery bag full of assorted bags of goodies.  Right now it's chocolate covered cashews, corn nuts, sesame sticks, figs, apricots, and Jordan almonds!  

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Nuts.com is Mr. Kim's kryptonite.  We always seem to have a grocery bag full of assorted bags of goodies.  Right now it's chocolate covered cashews, corn nuts, sesame sticks, figs, apricots, and Jordan almonds!  

Wow your boy does not skimp!

• Like 2

That time of the year, cookies and sweets being delivered to the office for the Holidays. I've eaten a couple of cookies already, and one soft caramel (very carefully, since I have a habit of pulling my crowns out) and it's only 10:30 a.m....😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Fried me some chicken hearts with chilli and ground cumin. I do love chicken hearts, but prep is a pain, so don't make as often as I should.

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Fried me some chicken hearts with chilli and ground cumin. I do love chicken hearts, but prep is a pain, so don't make as often as I should.

I have never actually eaten chicken hearts, but I suspect I would enjoy them. They are certainly not readily available, but I’m sure they would be in one of the Asian stores. I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea. I take it that you are of the latter persuasion.

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have never actually eaten chicken hearts, but I suspect I would enjoy them. They are certainly not readily available, but I’m sure they would be in one of the Asian stores. I see there are those who claim they do not require any preparation prior to cooking, and those who are horrified by this idea. I take it that you are of the latter persuasion.

Next time, I'll take a picture of how the hearts arrive. Cased in  fat and blood and membranes and often, laced with ventricles and veins. They definitely, in my book, need removing. Apart from the aesthetics and health implications, they can make the hearts bitter.

I'm guessing that those who think no prep is necessary are buying hearts that have been at least partially prepped by the vendors. Mine come simply torn from the chest.

These below from a while ago are a lot more prepped than mine were this time, but I still trimmed a lot of that fat off.

881809791_chickenhearts.thumb.jpg.a666bd5289fe87a07905282116bfc0b9.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto