• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Found this recipe in a Caribbean Food cookbook, now it's a house go-to.

Grated plantain with corn meal, jalapeno, scallion and beer. CAUTION: Very addicting. Good hot or cold. Serve with creme fraiche for dipping.

404594646_IMG_20220807_1524065872.thumb.jpg.31d78eed18484e75fd4db6b96f75c4f3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

20 hours ago, TdeV said:

@johnnyd, looks scrumptious! Got a recipe?

Sure do:

PLANTAIN, CORN & CHILLI CAKES - The Book of Caribbean Cooking - £8.99

8oz peeled, ripe plantain, grated

1/2 cup cornmeal

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup Caribbean beer

1 tsp lime juice

about a cup of diced scallion

1 jalapeno, finely diced

2 Tbsp chopped cilantro

salt

• Put all of the above in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Leave for 15 minutes
  • Heat 1/4 inch oil in a skillet. Add mixture in spoonfuls without crowding and fry a couple minutes a side, until golden brown.
  • Drain on paper bag/towell. Serve with creme fraiche.

BONUS POINTS:

• If you wait too long, the plantain doesn't grate, it just mooshes, but those are sweeter.
  • Mine are barely 2 inches across
  • They are easy to burn so keep the heat reasonable
  • If you can find it, we put a pinch of black lava salt in the creme fraiche. Kind of melts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

SIster came home with Trader Joe's Key lime Kettle Corn a bit ago. I ate most of bag. Would not buy again - too tart and sweet but I ate it - interesting. Linking as my images randomly are twisted.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/key-lime-kettle-popcorn-072095

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

When my daughter was little there was a great place in Berkeley called Le Cafe Crayon (pronounced the French way for extra credit, please.) They had a room full of wooden trains and toys for your kids. Moms or dads could order a latte or cap or macchiato and you could buy, for pennies, a bowl of goldfish for your kid. A brilliant idea! Play dates for everyone.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, Kim Shook said:

Spotted these in the store this weekend:

Didn't even know they were still made.  Still taste just as good.  

Famously one of Julia Child's favorite appetizers to put out for her guests.

• Like 1

Is this a snack or a starter with a long break until the main course arrived? Could be either.

1817454448_SturgeonandSardfines.thumb.jpg.e5ddcfc9bd7c9241638b2a0dd8f691da.jpg

Hot smoked sturgeon (served cold) with canned Portuguese sardines and pickled lime. Served with bread and butter.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I bought me some smoked duck breasts.

I frequently buy smoked duck breast although I don’t think mine are quite as substantial or as well smoked as yours. But still one of my favourite proteins. I do not usually freeze mine because they have a fairly long shelf life in the refrigerator. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I do not usually freeze mine because they have a fairly long shelf life in the refrigerator. 

I did consider that. But it is about 38℃ here and the fridges are full! I'm sleeping in one of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

Tortilla chips and a bean dip.   Chips are Kirkland brand.   Bean dip is Isadora Mayocoba refried beans in a pouch with some salsa stirred in.  I've never seen or tried Mayocoba (peruano) beans before.   The refrito is lighter in color and very light creamy smooth texture.   A little bland right out of the pouch.   Made in Mexico.   I saw them on sale and grabbed some to try.  I think $1.89 for a 15oz pouch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.58.20 PM.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)Aplenty Sour Cream & Onion Cashews.   These are excellent.

Currently unavailable.  I've read that amazon is discontinuing many of its house brands.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not available for me, either. 

Crazy, must be regional stocking.   I just added 4 more to my Fresh cart.

55 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've read that amazon is discontinuing many of its house brands.

They discontinued the Solimo brand, which I think was paper product/cleaning supply focused.   I've bought the Amazon house brands Happy Belly, Wickedly Prime, AmazonBrand and Aplenty so far.  Most things are quite good and the prices are less than supermarket comparisons.   I have no idea why they have so many house brands though.  

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I use Amazon Fresh and they show in stock.   

Sadly amazon discontinued Amazon Fresh in my area several years ago.  If a product or service doesn't work out for amazon they drop it pretty quickly.  (And probably the managers who promoted it.)

However the smokehouse almonds I'm munching with my mai tai at the moment I have on monthly Subscribe and Save.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@blue_dolphinwill recognize the inspiration for this snack. D146278A-871B-4914-983E-7A48C516AECE.thumb.jpeg.234a02e49843ce9c66d881c87e426503.jpeg

Pan-toasted sourdough rubbed with tomato  and sprinkled with some coarse salt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6B503398-0874-4F75-B741-1303E882A798.thumb.jpeg.7853e294357a593009e4956657394bb9.jpegMy take on patatas bravas — roasted baby potatoes tossed in an upscale salsa. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog