• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Watermelon and a buttered crumpet:

1-IMG_0193.jpg.d59805754169193def5470d5cfb4d309.jpg

I've been buying crumpets at Wegman's that are ok.  The brand is "Farm Country" and I can't find out much about them.  But I found a British brand (Lakeland Bake) at the "gourmet" grocery we were at on July 9th.  SO much better.  The Wegman's ones don't crisp up like these do.  And lots more flavor.  Yet another reason to put points WEST on my regular shopping routes!  

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Watermelon and a buttered crumpet:

1-IMG_0193.jpg.d59805754169193def5470d5cfb4d309.jpg

I've been buying crumpets at Wegman's that are ok.  The brand is "Farm Country" and I can't find out much about them.  But I found a British brand (Lakeland Bake) at the "gourmet" grocery we were at on July 9th.  SO much better.  The Wegman's ones don't crisp up like these do.  And lots more flavor.  Yet another reason to put points WEST on my regular shopping routes!  

I love crumpets. They aren't difficult to make, but as with so many "easy" things they still take time. That one makes me hungry, and I just finished breakfast!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

In extreme warm weather one should take electrolytes.  McConnell's Salted Caramel Chip.  A full 300mg sodium per serving.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My snack from last night, after falling victim to TJ's endcap placement of graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate

045F83C6-F755-4B8A-B18F-9ADEAFAA5766_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.030097f50d0f82594d04766822074f57.jpeg

Chocolate was a sea salt caramel dark chocolate from Aldi.  Accompanied by sips from a small glass of bourbon with chocolate bitters. 

No keyboards were harmed. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 2

Local blueberries and Okanagan cherries. Enjoyed in what is currently the coolest room in the house, the master bedroom. It is the only room that has AC and Charlie (our dog) and I have been pretty much parked here for the last few days. 

Cherries.pdf

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Local blueberries and Okanagan cherries. Enjoyed in what is currently the coolest room in the house, the master bedroom. It is the only room that has AC and Charlie (our dog) and I have been pretty much parked here for the last few days. 

Cherries.pdfUnavailable

I can't open the attachment.

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I can't open the attachment.

Sorry - my phone and laptop are not cooperating today. I'm getting a weird file extension and when I try to save as a pdf, that's what happens. I will try again after some sustenance.

cherries.jpg

Edited by MaryIsobel
to add photo (log)
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Branston Pickle

Quite some time ago I was gifted some offbrand Branston pickle. For anyone who doubted it it is worth finding the real McCoy this one did not cut the mustard!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Quite some time ago I was gifted some offbrand Branston pickle. For anyone who doubted it it is worth finding the real McCoy this one did not cut the mustard!

Are Branston pickles a sweet pickle?  I just found that I can buy them here.  The store has several varieties including a caramelized onion one.

The original Branston pickle does not come in a variety of flavours. 

Edited by Anna N
Edited to remove a link that I do not believe I intended (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The store carries "original" and "small chunk".  Under the Branston label they have a few other items, such as the caramelized onions (and canned Mac and cheese!).  I meant to ask if the original Branston was a sweet pickle?

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Anna, will you share your brand name?   

and question?    How odd would Branston pickle seem as part of a (dinner party) cheese course?     In addition to usual fruit accompaniments.

eGullet member #80.

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Anna, will you share your brand name?   

and question?    How odd would Branston pickle seem as part of a (dinner party) cheese course?     In addition to usual fruit accompaniments.

As shown by @liuzhouthe brand name is Branston. Being the peasant that I am, where there’s hard cheese there ought to be Branston. But I defer to more sophisticated people to comment on dinner parties. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

As shown by @liuzhouthe brand name is Branston. Being the peasant that I am, where there’s hard cheese there ought to be Branston. But I defer to more sophisticated people to comment on dinner parties. 

Works for me.    Dinners are about being delicious.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

It's been raining since before dawn.  Very much needed.  Feeling cozy and lazy today.  

A bunch of cantaloupes were ready to be picked yesterday.  Delivered some to friends and family.  Kept two for us.  Snacking as we speak.  Very sweet and juicy.  Some of our best ever.

thumbnail_IMG_2792.jpg.1d7bb9203a40ae52d940164c0724e37d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2800.jpg.84acd1884a27598a4a7cee1808685596.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2801.jpg.5566a22422e132f348c541e0ede6f645.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

The store carries "original" and "small chunk".  Under the Branston label they have a few other items, such as the caramelized onions (and canned Mac and cheese!).  I meant to ask if the original Branston was a sweet pickle?

I know you didn't ask me, but as far as I know, they offer the original, small chunk and a smooth version of Branston pickle.  I've seen reports that say the small chunk tastes sweeter than the original but I've only had the original so I can't say.  The smooth might be good for smearing on a sandwich, but doesn't really interest me.

As to sweetness, yes, it's sweet but  I wouldn't define it as a sweet pickle without other modifiers. I'm not sure what you would call a sweet pickle.  Sweetness is surely there, like in many chutneys but the level of savory and spice is above what you'd find in the average sweet pickle relish in the US, which tends to be mostly sweet with a little sour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Sorry I thought you were suggesting different flavours for the  Branston pickle. As @blue_dolphinnotes it has a sweetness for sure but I never think of it as a sweet pickle.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog