• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

My new guilty secret is Troyer Pimento Cheese Spread that I buy at the nearby Amish market.  I knew nothing about pimiento* cheese until eG.  Now I can't live without the stuff.  Especially good on Ritz Everything crackers.

The best thing about this brand is that it's easily spreadable right out of the fridge.

• Like 3

This arrived this morning. I ordered ten packs of smoked sturgeon online. Eleven turned up! Bonus. Ten are in freezer; one is in me. Perfect straight from the pack. Better with a little of its own caviar.

Sturgeon Packs.jpg

smoked sturgeon.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 weeks later...

@liuzhou - how fantastic!  I love smoked fish!

I could not think where was an appropriate place to put this post, so I chose here.  After all, much of this will provide eG-friendly snacks in the near future!  On Friday, Jessica and I traveled to Northern VA for a couple of days to visit family and do a little sightseeing.   On Saturday we visited my sister, her husband and my new (4/28) niece.  Friday had been my sister’s birthday and she’s been a bit housebound since the baby was born, so I wanted to bring something indulgent to the house.  I did some research and very close to them was an HMart (Asian market) with a really good sounding French bakery and patisserie inside the store – Paris Baguette.  We’d never been to an HMart and were overwhelmed and impressed and incredibly jealous.  Jessica picked out a bunch of snacky things to try out on a FB video:

1-IMG_9468.jpg.0dcfab8eeb8b15ad7ccbed616dcb5dc2.jpg 

I got a delicious peach and the best apricot I can remember having in many, many years.  They have a really cool food court, too.  We were there so early that only the bakery was open, but the signs and examples we saw made us wish we had more time.  These next two are various types of corn-dogs:

IMG_9407.jpg.98a9d360d3279e4c3a8f267e06551c6a.jpg

1-IMG_3846.thumb.jpg.3b529068fc04ef88d1d6602696590c9c.jpg 

1-IMG_3845.thumb.jpg.a1204299c5c2b3bf1b7987f53048748b.jpg 

1-IMG_3847.jpg.35f602aa19601041f0ab6d60783a53ff.jpg 

Unfortunately, I neglected to get a picture of the box of goodies we took to Ashley’s, but this is something that Jessica got and took home:

IMG_9436.jpg.eaec9ffe9368028c2a3c6883e9a46761.jpg 

It is called a crabmeat croquette and it is crisp and flaky and filled with crabmeat:

IMG_9437.jpg.3d38263beca892f61ab693e37fef2a49.jpg

The bakery selection was truly remarkable and I cannot wait to go back. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Found these at Food Lion yesterday:

1-IMG_9485.thumb.jpg.974d50663640c35a6a47514f2ecb9205.jpg

Nice for snacking, but I'm already thinking of buying a few more packages to use as crumb coating for fish and crab cakes.

I had a half a bag of oyster crackers getting ready to go stale, so I made a batch of those Ranch crackers:

1-IMG_9491.jpg.910cc7237617a7fb452379fdd4e79f74.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last night's dinner included coleslaw.  There was a quantity left over.  Just now I had a sudden craving.  A normal portion might have sufficed, however since I am eating out of the serving bowl, I might as well finish it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by @liuzhou's comment about French onion soup:

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Maybe I've just never had a good French Onion Soup. I like everything involved, but not together. I'd rather have the bread and cheese on the side as a sandwich, thanks.

Toasted baguette slices, rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil, topped with caramelized onions and broiled to melt the grated Parm

4A750A60-C3F5-4B0E-8642-8427D3A259B0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f377ea5fefba3653d9cd2529c380d08f.jpeg

Glass of red wine on the side.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

@JoNorvelleWalker - is that mousse of some sort?  

@blue_dolphin - Jessica was sitting behind me when I pulled this page up and noticed your Parmesan bread right away.  We decided that was the perfect go-with for lasagna!

Mr. Kim ordered some goodies on the road while we were out of town and they arrived yesterday.  They will be providing snacks for days to come:

1-IMG_9807.jpg.07c3522efd800aec28b77410ad10ba07.jpg

Jordan almonds, paper shell pecans, and corn nuts.  

We saw NO signs for pecans at all in GA and were reminiscing about the great paper shells we used to get at the roadside sheds years ago, so he ordered some.  They weren't terribly "papery" - it took squeezing two together in your hands (I couldn't do it) to break them open and even that was difficult.  But they were moist and tasty and came out in perfect halves.  The Jordan almonds from nuts.com are the freshest I've ever had.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker - is that mousse of some sort?  

@blue_dolphin - Jessica was sitting behind me when I pulled this page up and noticed your Parmesan bread right away.  We decided that was the perfect go-with for lasagna!

Mr. Kim ordered some goodies on the road while we were out of town and they arrived yesterday.  They will be providing snacks for days to come:

1-IMG_9807.jpg.07c3522efd800aec28b77410ad10ba07.jpg

Jordan almonds, paper shell pecans, and corn nuts.  

We saw NO signs for pecans at all in GA and were reminiscing about the great paper shells we used to get at the roadside sheds years ago, so he ordered some.  They weren't terribly "papery" - it took squeezing two together in your hands (I couldn't do it) to break them open and even that was difficult.  But they were moist and tasty and came out in perfect halves.  The Jordan almonds from nuts.com are the freshest I've ever had.  

Jordan almonds will forever be for me the quintessential movie theater candy.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Jordan almonds will forever be for me the quintessential movie theater candy.

Not to mention weddings!  I went to one where they'd gone all out and gotten silver coated ones (like dragées) in little mesh bags.  Everyone was afraid of them, so I scored about 20 bags for myself.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Not to mention weddings!  I went to one where they'd gone all out and gotten silver coated ones (like dragées) in little mesh bags.  Everyone was afraid of them, so I scored about 20 bags for myself.  LOL

In my culture kids were always dragged to weddings. The Jordan Almonds in the mesh bags the only highlight which we'd pilfer from tables if it looked like they'd been left behind. Don't think we liked the taste really (stale) but eating coating off was something to do. confusing when we studied Jordan in elementary school.  No mention of them in the texts.

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, heidih said:

In my culture kids were always dragged to weddings. The Jordan Almonds in the mesh bags the only highlight which we'd pilfer from tables if it looked like they'd been left behind. Don't think we liked the taste really (stale) but eating coating off was something to do. confusing when we studied Jordan in elementary school.  No mention of them in the texts.

Yes!  Stale!  Always.  But these were fresh - maybe the first fresh ones I've ever tasted in my life.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, curls said:

Best Jordan almonds that I have had are the ones from France that Williams Sonoma carries. The candy shell is thin and the almonds have always been fresh. A bit of a splurge but they have spoiled me and I no longer like the US standard Jordan almonds. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/medicis-candied-almonds/

They are very lovely.  And I'm sure they are great.  Not sure they are over 4 times as good.  ($40/lb. as opposed to nuts.com for $9/lb.).  😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curls said:

Best Jordan almonds that I have had are the ones from France that Williams Sonoma carries. The candy shell is thin and the almonds have always been fresh. A bit of a splurge but they have spoiled me and I no longer like the US standard Jordan almonds. https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/medicis-candied-almonds/

that sounds promising. I don't think I've ever had a Jordan almond and exclaimed, "Wow, delicious fresh nuts!" Perhaps I need to get out more. The next time I pass a WS on a shopping trip to a mall (which may very well be never, given there's a snowball's chance in hell that I will ever wander about in a mall ever again) I will check it out. 

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

They are very lovely.  And I'm sure they are great.  Not sure they are over 4 times as good.  ($40/lb. as opposed to nuts.com for $9/lb.).  😄

Yes indeed. And  I assumed that the traditional staleness of the almonds was part of the overall perfection. After all, by the time we get them they've been aging on a container ship from Jordan, right? Probably the ones on that ship that got beached on both sides of the Suez Canal were better as a result of the delay.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yes indeed. And  I assumed that the traditional staleness of the almonds was part of the overall perfection. After all, by the time we get them they've been aging on a container ship from Jordan, right? Probably the ones on that ship that got beached on both sides of the Suez Canal were better as a result of the delay.

I am going to guess that you are joking all around. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yes over four times as good! Back in the before times I would pick them up when they were on sale. Williams Sonoma would do certain color combos for various holidays and those that didn’t sell by the holiday usually went for 25 to 50% off.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am going to guess that you are joking all around. 

Ya mean Jordan Almonds don't come from Jordan? Okay, yes, joking. I'm sure we can do stale here in the US as well as anyone. A very quick wiki check and it appears more likely that candy coated almonds were Italian in origin. And two sources say that their first mention is in The Decameron. They must have stocked up during the plague. Greeks and Italians have them on the table at weddings. That seems nice!

• Like 2

While on a freezer safari, Mr. Kim dug some of his mom's Hot Cross Buns from Easter.  Still so good:

1-IMG_9872.jpg.05bdc5464527fb2a1f164fc8a760082f.jpg

Those look amazing.  What fruit does she put in them?

Jessica and I went and got our first haircuts in over 2 years.  While I was waiting for her, I went to the specialty candy shop a few shops down.  My afternoon snack came from here:

1-IMG_9902.jpg.d4e08db29b7aa9e9c7ef8ca21cc24f7e.jpg

1-IMG_9903.jpg.98bc53317cb7dfa9c489a6434e7b3544.jpg

For the Americans in the group it is just like a Sugar Daddy, but much richer tasting.  No stick - you just slap it on a hard surface and eat the pieces.  

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Jessica and I went and got our first haircuts in over 2 years.  While I was waiting for her, I went to the specialty candy shop a few shops down.  My afternoon snack came from here:

1-IMG_9902.jpg.d4e08db29b7aa9e9c7ef8ca21cc24f7e.jpg

1-IMG_9903.jpg.98bc53317cb7dfa9c489a6434e7b3544.jpg

For the Americans in the group it is just like a Sugar Daddy, but much richer tasting.  No stick - you just slap it on a hard surface and eat the pieces.  

I always loved those as a kid. I still try to keep one or two on hand at all times, because if I want a quick caramel sauce to go with a dessert I can just melt one in a saucepan (or the microwave) with some heavy cream and I'm done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning