• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps not Guinness by name but I do know that stout was recommended for nursing mothers in England. 

... and Scotland and it was Guinness. In fact, the only time I saw my mother drinking alcohol was when she was  propped up in bed in 1959 having just given birth to my youngest brother.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Everything you wanted to know about Guinness but were afraid to ask. 

Hmmm. The one about the ₤45 rent a year is untrue. That lease was only for 4 acres of the 50 acre site and became invalid a long time ago when Guinness bought the land outright. They aren't paying  themselves rent!

I do know the head of quality control in Guinness's Park Royal Brewery in London. She does a lot more than just taste the brew every morning as implied. She has a PhD in food science. Very clever lady (and a great cook).

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

... and Scotland and it was Guinness. In fact, the only time I saw my mother drinking alcohol was when she was  propped up in bed in 1959 having just given birth to my youngest brother.

Hmmm. The one about the ₤45 rent a year is untrue. That lease was only for 4 acres of the 50 acre site and became invalid a long time ago when Guinness bought the land outright. They aren't paying  themselves rent!

I do know the head of quality control in Guinness's Park Royal Brewery in London. She does a lot more than just taste the brew every morning as implied. She has a PhD in food science. Very clever lady (and a great cook).

Thanks. I meant it only as a lighthearted look at your favourite brew.
 My father was a publican and an alcoholic and used to bring up a case of Guinness in the early morning and stick it in front of the fire in the bar and work his way through it. Enough said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When nursing my daughter 33 years ago I didn't need to be told twice that beer, and specifically Guinness, were good for milk production. I'm sure that's why my daughter likes beer so much. However she was very skeptical when nursing her newborn twins last summer, so despite her envy when anyone within hearing cracked open a beer she wouldn't take her mother's advice and indulge just a little. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

When nursing my daughter 33 years ago I didn't need to be told twice that beer, and specifically Guinness, were good for milk production. I'm sure that's why my daughter likes beer so much. However she was very skeptical when nursing her newborn twins last summer, so despite her envy when anyone within hearing cracked open a beer she wouldn't take her mother's advice and indulge just a little. 

My mother-in-law gave me the same advise when I was nursing twins 27 years ago. She was Irish. I don't know if it helped with the production or not but both of my daughters are craft beer aficianados now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

My mother-in-law gave me the same advise when I was nursing twins 27 years ago. She was Irish. I don't know if it helped with the production or not but both of my daughters are craft beer aficianados now.

So....in other words Guinness Inc has figured out the link between "Guinness milk" for babies and making loyal customers for life. Clever!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd love an "after" picture of your keyboard.

😁 That could have been a messy afair.

We don't have a snacking between eGulleting thread, though.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

• 2 weeks later...

What I learnt today. It involves snacking, but not, for just this once, by me.

I was moving stuff around and found a box of mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews etc) that someone had given me a while back for my snacking requirements. They were somewhat stale, so I offered them to the local bird population to help them through this unusually cold winter. Within an hour they had all disappeared from my window sill.

Except the almonds. Fussy birds! Maybe they are waiting for me to peel them! Ungrateful little blighters!

almonds.thumb.jpg.10160fd733d1d298c0f8b183b4b0af75.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 8

Spotted this in the supermarket this morning and was curious. It lived down to expectations and then went lower.

The packaging is reasonably attractive, I suppose. Best not to open it.

1381567266_instantpho1.thumb.jpg.8ecf0843fafecc7fa15d20173895bab0.jpg

164788081_instantpho2.thumb.jpg.be3653779483c37a973e8b6a586fe08a.jpg

1742820974_instantpho3.thumb.jpg.2025d0818d46641fbeb34eaff1b234f2.jpg

First alarm went off when I read that it isn't even Vietnamese. It's Australian.

661276703_instantpho4.thumb.jpg.461d40e08758c7955e122e93a620268a.jpg

Removing the lid reveals yet another foil lid and the "cooking" instructions. Pouring some boiling water on some ingredients isn't what I call cooking.

2020773760_instantpho5.thumb.jpg.fa385b770596ecc4ee23ac29786e08e5.jpg

Under the foil lid, I find the ingredients.

A bunch of dried rice noodles, a small pink bag of dried vegetable, a slightly larger orange bag containing what they call 'seasoning sauce" and a litttle red bag of chilli sauce. Oh, and a folding plastic fork - which was broken and unusable, not that I intended to use it. Who eats phở with a fork?

1657833951_instantpho6.thumb.jpg.9305feeae8d4062b6fbe2e8e28c28aea.jpg

114859249_instantpho7.thumb.jpg.2ba75eb35a928d2725954bd66881b4ab.jpg

Applied water and waited precisely the instructed 3 minutes. On re-opening the container I found this horror.

862172471_instantpho8.thumb.jpg.19715d0f8df8e0e4fa9f1db490dcee49.jpg

It doesn't look like phở; it doesn't smell like phở; it certainly doesn't taste like phở. It isn't phở!

The rice noodles are mushy; the seasoning is unpleasantly aggressive and not sour (bur bitter) and the chilli sauce just tastes plain off. And there is zero actual prawn in it. Just a miniscule and undetectable amount of 'prawn powder', whatever that is.

Absolutely disgusting.

Ingredients as listed.

ingredients.thumb.jpg.b2db20f87981e688bf680064d2b0c687.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

More Cadbury hot chocolate w/ my niece's marshmallows and some Girl Scout cookies that are growing on me.  They go by the terrible name of "Toast-yay" and remind me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal:

IMG_8422.thumb.jpg.628c138ea33249210a7417e55de0b985.jpg

I love the Samoa cookies.  Too bad we can't get them in Canada.

Edited by ElsieD
Added second sentence (log)

On 3/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, ElsieD said:

I love the Samoa cookies.  Too bad we can't get them in Canada.

They are our favorites.  Some of the national cookie companies are starting to make copycats.  If you Google "cookies like Samoas" a bunch come up.  Maybe someone in Canada is making them.  

22 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

They are our favorites.  Some of the national cookie companies are starting to make copycats.  If you Google "cookies like Samoas" a bunch come up.  Maybe someone in Canada is making them.  

Thanks!  Looks like Walmart has them.  I don't go there often but when I do, I'll check it out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@kayb 

what's the copycat's name ?

there is an Aldi very near me .

thanks

Ummm. I think it’s something like fudgy coconut cookies. Hang on, lemme look. 

well, I don’t see it on the website.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Picked up some hot cross buns from the local ShopRite supermarket near my office (seasonal guilty pleasure, good with tea) and it amused me that the container has a Kosher hechsher on it. That would be the definition of irony.

I'm guessing it is because this particular location has a Kosher section with a Rabbi in residence and the baked goods are all displayed in one common area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde