• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Candy corn and now kid cereal! Trending/sweet nostalgia/comfort ?  Stepmom handed me  a container of nut mix. Oddly has a couple bits of dried pineapple, lots of pepitas and almonds. I think she picked out the elements she liked and this was left. Re-roasting at 350 to get them bit darker. Size differential leads to a bit of bitter but I edo bitterweet

• Like 2

Japanese Sardinella coated in seasoned potato starch and deep-fried. Served with shichimi togarashi, sea salt and mini lemons.

js2.thumb.jpg.c4e6f915c11e54125abd6931b272cb78.jpg

js3.thumb.jpg.949a57ee8b4b9c5658e3681d4031146e.jpg

Also, accompanied by the best condiment for the job.

Liquan.thumb.jpg.c3266aa50f178b90a99fd8ed8fc68f1a.jpg

Liquan Beer

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I bought some Almond Roca® Buttercrunch Popcorn this past weekend.

The Werther's Caramel Popcorn I snacked on a while ago tasted much better than this.

This Almond Roca Buttercrunch popcorn doesn't taste like Almond Roca to me. Just sweetness.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

As mentioned on the fun stuff topic, I bought these online and they arrived yesterday. I vaguely planned to have some for breakast, but that didn't work out so I decided to just have a small taste before comitting to a full meal. They are sold as goose liver (foie gras) sausages, although the main component is goose breast meat, with liver coming second. They come from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province bordering Siberia, Russia.

I had 500 grams / 17.64 ounces total or four fat sausages each about 18 cm / 7 inches long, took one and sliced it on a bias. Fried them up and tasted just with some blck pepper. No salt required (see ingredient list below for a formidable list of sodiums).

gls.thumb.jpg.d30635d234702518731f31bc2641ae87.jpg

279342599_GooseLiverSasuages.thumb.jpg.f1bcb996a6606431a6e1806a4271d227.jpg

goose1.thumb.jpg.fc900c57fbb895caf88dae35c76a5fce.jpg

392510424_GooseLIverSausage2.thumb.jpg.61e7f37dd6ff2e0df48dd6fdbf4fe417.jpg

73344858_GooseLIverSausage3.thumb.jpg.85864e7a506f2bbc3a5699ef7bf50eb1.jpg

Before I knew it, I had eaten a whole sausage (just to taste, you understand). They are rather good.

Ingredients as listed - my translation:

Goose breast meat, foie gras, water, starch salt, soft white sugar, spices, food additives (sodium glutamate, sodium tripolyphosphate, sodium pyrophosphate, sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium nitrite), pig casing.

All good stuff!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

A co-worker brought in to work a package of the new Pop Tart Bites (click).

I tried a few and have to say they aren't very good. The crust-to-fruit filling ratio is off...too much crust. They are frosted, too, but that didn't help much.

Pass them by...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Trying out the Chinese goat milk cheese I received as a gift yesterday. With Scottish oatcakes.

It is a pure white hard cheese but very bland to the point of tastelessness. Not a drop of goaty funkiness. Needs salt and some pickles or the like to lift it up.

2086313722_goatcheese.thumb.jpg.df5be69967a405ae9adea75354175407.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

So...dairy tofu, basically?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jelly doughnut and oatmeal raisin cooky - both from Lidl:

IMG_7451.jpg.450526329b83c8027b0f676368cd0464.jpg

The doughnut is good, but that cooky is fantastic.  I make good oatmeal raisin cookies, but theirs is just better.  

Don't tell anyone I occasionally eGullet at work, but this afternoon we had a small farewell celebration for a coworker and I had three cookies.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My latest end of eve thing are the Kedem tea biscuits. Either chocolate, vanilla, or original. Crispy, barely sweet and perfect with a cup of tea. Uuallyno more than $1 and maybe change per packet.   https://thetakeout.com/kedem-tea-biscuits-cookie-kosher-budget-grocery-shoppin-1840765801

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

My latest end of eve thing are the Kedem tea biscuits. Either chocolate, vanilla, or original. Crispy, barely sweet and perfect with a cup of tea. Uuallyno more than $1 and maybe change per packet.   https://thetakeout.com/kedem-tea-biscuits-cookie-kosher-budget-grocery-shoppin-1840765801

I grew up loving Nabisco's Social Tea cookies (weird kid) and I think they are very similar to the Kedem ones.  They are still a favorite.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I grew up loving Nabisco's Social Tea cookies (weird kid) and I think they are very similar to the Kedem ones.  They are still a favorite.  

Dipped in tea - nothing better!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Does a beverage qualify as snacking?

Guinness is no mere beverage! It is a fully complete balanced meal packed with nutrition, flavour and sublime happiness. 

Not so long ago it was available on prescription to new mothers in British maternity hospitals for its health benefits.

Hic!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Guinness is no mere beverage! It is a fully complete balanced meal packed with nutrition, flavour and sublime happiness. 

Not so long ago it was available on prescription to new mothers in British maternity hospitals for its health benefits.

Hic!

Perhaps not Guinness by name but I do know that stout was recommended for nursing mothers in England. 

Everything you wanted to know about Guinness but were afraid to ask. 

Here.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the summer after high school

I traveled w my family tp GB and Ireland.

visited the Guiness brewery , of course

impressive it is !  it has several railway spurs 

that go directly into its buildings .

and its ' downtown ' , cobble stone streets , etc

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1