• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

You are seriously making me miss my grape vines. I processed a lot of leaves An image from my former cottage garden

Ours died last year, but it was never very impressive to be honest. And while it's quite easy to get some at spring, or buy them pickled, it's quite a bit of work to prepare, so we usually buy them stuffed.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

39 minutes ago, shain said:

Ours died last year, but it was never very impressive to be honest. And while it's quite easy to get some at spring, or buy them pickled, it's quite a bit of work to prepare, so we usually buy them stuffed.

I enjoyed the process https://forums.egullet.org/topic/132868-young-grape-leaves/?tab=comments#comment-1739300

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 7:30 PM, liuzhou said:

Hot smoked sturgeon with sea grapes / green caviar and oatcakes.

Now I need to investigate the availability of sea grapes.  How do you buy them? Fresh? Pouch? Jar?

A snack that may obviate the need for anything further this evening:  Crunchy Tomato, Pepper and Anchovy Toasts

704670425_IMG_4306(1).thumb.jpeg.2b4498b4a4ae851c86e201ea9d12d753.jpeg
No piquillo peppers in the house so I subbed pickled Fresno chiles I'd made from a recipe in Bestia.  Finishing these up as I type with a nice dry rosé

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Now I need to investigate the availability of sea grapes.  How do you buy them? Fresh? Pouch? Jar?

They come in a plastic pouch in which the seagrapes are held in a heavy brine (seawater strength). I open this and transfer them and their water to an old Nescafé jar and keep it in the fridge. They keep well in the fridge for weeks.

1940229937_SeaGrapesBag.thumb.jpg.58451d8ae2375e4b108f6d3786f1b7b8.jpg

To use, I take out what I need, rinse them, then sit them in cold fresh water for about 10 - 15 minutes. This makes them swell a bit. Then serve.

fa0104fb-54ca-427f-986c-124816a7b22b.thumb.jpg.fcc68ba7227fc892c6fee1c8c2033cdf.jpg

660ed558-a06f-45f4-9afa-5c01bcdc9593.thumb.jpg.6c49241153459dcbeb0a6253bec8e7de.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is their effect somewhat like capers?

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Nothing like capers. See here.

Maybe use words   The immediate antecedent was seagrapes.   Your link takes me to references, pther than seagrapes.    Help?  i.e., what is their flavor profile?

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Maybe use words   The immediate antecedent was seagrapes.   Your link takes me to references, pther than seagrapes.    Help?  i.e., what is their flavor profile?

The link goes directly to seagrapes. I just tested it again. What are you seeing?

21 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My friends tell me a nice textural pop with some sea fresh flavor inside, Def not caperish 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sea grapes are a type of seaweed! As explained in the link. 

I quite got that, having read that portion of your post.   My question regarded their flavor, other than sea, seaweed, etc.   I am familiar with seabeans and how they can be cured and therefore distinctively flavored.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I quite git that, having read that portion of your post.   My question regarded their flavor, other than sea, seaweed, etc.   I am familiar with seabeans and how they can be cured and therefore distinctively flavored.

I give up.

There is little taste to describe. It is all about texture. As I explained. Heidih added nothing I hadn't already said.

Perhaps you should have read the whole of my post.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

French Chavroux goat's milk cheese with Scottish oatcakes.

...thereby honoring both sides of your parentage. Well played. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Currently snacking on Ruffles Sour Cream & Onion flavored potato chips and thinking of @Anna N(who I believe likes the sour cream & onion flavor on snacks). 
But stay away from Snyder of Hanover's Sour Cream & Onion flavored Pretzel sticks. Why? Snyder is known for their buttery flavored pretzels and, unfortunately, the very assertive fake-tasting butter flavored pretzels with the sour cream & onion flavoring added on top just don't taste very good. It's not a good combo.:(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver