• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Bought a box of Charleston Chews Minis (click) this weekend.

I am now experiencing a huge sugar rush.

Not a good move on my part. xD

• Haha 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 5/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, Toliver said:

Bought a box of Charleston Chews Minis (click) this weekend.

I am now experiencing a huge sugar rush.

Not a good move on my part. xD

I've done this, too.  These are the "Theatre Box Candies".  I can sit watching a show on TV and suddenly a whole box of Milk Duds or Dots is gone!

Mr. Kim ordered these from a local company.  They came yesterday:

IMG_6048.thumb.jpg.f409d78da3818633b0c01867fadc9cee.jpg

The peanut brittle is very good.  The coconut is incredible.  I'm already inspired to try to make coconut and toasted sliced almond brittle.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've done this, too.  These are the "Theatre Box Candies".  I can sit watching a show on TV and suddenly a whole box of Milk Duds or Dots is gone!

One bad thing was that the Chews aren't even real marshmallow. What a waste of a sugar rush.

The maker, the same company that makes Tootsie Rolls (and their fake chocolate ¬¬), describes the filling as "marshmallow-like taffy". Puh-leeze.

And I love Milk Duds...but am too scared of of eating them and loosing my dental work in the process. :o xD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tim Oliver

20 hours ago, Toliver said:

And I love Milk Duds...but am too scared of of eating them and loosing my dental work in the process. :o xD

Definition of adulting, picking your candy based on what won’t cause damage. As a lover of gummy candies, it kills me, but having replaced a crown repeatedly, I think I learned my lesson.

• Haha 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Made a roasted strawberry cheesecake last week and one of Mr. Kim's co-workers offered to trade a slice for a couple of Mennonite food truck doughnuts she'd picked up that morning:

IMG_6105.thumb.jpg.95740fde7221207c408bfc0f78759a3d.jpg

They are as big as my head and the best in town.  

Picked up a quart of strawberries from the produce stand on Sunday and we've been snacking on them all week:

IMG_6158.jpg.98fa29408887022f8292f4787437bdb9.jpg

I used the vinegar/water dunk method when I got them home and so far they are just fine.  They were VERY ripe.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

51 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Made a roasted strawberry cheesecake last week and one of Mr. Kim's co-workers offered to trade a slice for a couple of Mennonite food truck doughnuts she'd picked up that morning:

IMG_6105.thumb.jpg.95740fde7221207c408bfc0f78759a3d.jpg

They are as big as my head and the best in town.  

Picked up a quart of strawberries from the produce stand on Sunday and we've been snacking on them all week:

IMG_6158.jpg.98fa29408887022f8292f4787437bdb9.jpg

I used the vinegar/water dunk method when I got them home and so far they are just fine.  They were VERY ripe.  

Vinegar dunk method?

Just now, ElsieD said:

Vinegar dunk method?

Sorry!  1 part white vinegar, 3 parts water.  Swish the strawberries around for a minute.  Drain and dry well.  Place on paper towel lined container and loosely cover.  It's the best method I've tried.  Found the method on thekitchn.com last summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  The current purchase is spread out, unwashed, on a sheet tray in the fridge.  I'll try this on my next batch.

My go to is unwashed in a glass jar, tight lid. They have always been happy.

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

They tested a whole bunch of methods and this was the favorite.  They even say that the washing seems counterintuitive.  Can't argue with the method so far.  I've used it a few times since last year.

And then there is Harold McGee‘s method:

Here.

I hope it is not behind a paywall. I was able to access it and I have nothing to do NYT. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I got a paywall.  

Sorry. It’s nothing I can do about that as far as I know. Not sure why I didn’t  get one. 

try this instead:

https://www.thekitchn.com/what-to-do-right-after-bringing-fresh-berries-home-23015556

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sorry. It’s nothing I can do about that as far as I know. Not sure why I didn’t  get one. 

try this instead:

https://www.thekitchn.com/what-to-do-right-after-bringing-fresh-berries-home-23015556

Thanks.  That worked.  I'll give it a try next batch!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I got a paywall.  

The important stuff from the NYT article:

I bought pints of various berries, divided each batch into two samples, and heated one by immersing and swishing its plastic basket in a pot of hot water. I emptied the heated sample onto towels to cool down and dry. Then I repacked it, and encouraged both baskets to spoil by wrapping them airtight and letting them sweat on the kitchen counter. After 24 hours I counted the moldy berries in each basket.

The strawberries fared best when I heated them at 125 degrees for 30 seconds. In two samples from different sources, this treatment gave a total of 1 moldy berry out of 30, where the untreated baskets had 14. I also treated some bruised berries, including one with a moldy tip. After 24 hours none were moldy. The tip mold not only hadn’t spread, it had disappeared.

I tried the same treatment, 125 degrees for 30 seconds, on raspberries and blackberries, and got the same good results. There were many fewer moldy berries in the heated samples.

For thicker-skinned blueberries, a Canadian study recommended a 140-degree treatment for 30 seconds. I tested it twice, with samples of around 150 berries each time. That heat took the bloom off. It melted the natural wax that gives the berries their whitish cast, and left them midnight blue. It also cut the number of moldy berries from around 20 per sample to 2.

• Thanks 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

These are goose livers stewed in soy sauce. 卤鹅肝 (lǔ é gān). Sold pre-cooked on the deli counter of the local supermarket. I bought them to use in a fried rice, but have been munching on them all afternoon. I'll have to go back for more.

1077425813_2.thumb.jpg.0b5fe262c837cbe944e1fdace6992cb1.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.16729ac9b4c6f335e6c480f2c28dcd50.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just finished a small snack bag of Boulder Canyon Kettle Potato Chips, Malt Vinegar & Sea Salt flavor (click).

At first I was disappointed in the vinegar because the chips didn't have that "In-Your-Face" acidic tart tang.

But the more I ate them, I was impressed with the Malt Vinegar flavor. It seemed to have more depth to it than just acid in the regular Vinegar and Salt chips. 

Very nice, crunchy yet with subtle flavor.

• Like 4

Tim Oliver

@Toliver - I've never seen that brand, though we do get Utz, but I'd love to try them.  I'd be interested in seeing what malt vinegar does to a chip.  

In case anyone is interested, I finished those vinegar treated strawberries yesterday morning which means that they lasted just over a week.  I'm good with those results.  They were a little surface dry, which showed the age, I think.  But inside they were sweet and juicy:

IMG_6219.jpg.bec249c3f5daa1c9947ec5195daabd5d.jpg

I made a batch of brownies from an Aldi mix and topped the batter with some PB chips and white chocolate chips:

IMG_6213.jpg.c4001df8c0d68d25434f3e04bca055fb.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg.72a4b6bc60e8ccde3ecfe751e3d454eb.jpg

I wouldn't dare put these on one of the baking topics, but they were a tasty snack, so here they are!  I am a brownie mix devotee and Ghirardelli is my favorite.  These weren't quite up to that level, but they were very good.  I underbaked them a bit, for my taste.  I like really chewy brownies, but wanted to see how moist these would be if I cooked them until "done".  They were very, very moist.  

• Like 5