• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

These leapt into my shopping cart at the grocery store this past weekend.

It's not my fault.

@Kim Shook I'm looking at you. :wink: xD

FlamingHotFunyuns.jpg.064effa00374622c0b43a21826076809.jpg

I do have to say the Flaming Hot powder definitely masked most of the "onion" flavor.

Still, a nice snack while perusing eGullet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I know that wafer cookies are old people cookies, but we are old people now😁.  Seriously, we found some surprisingly good wafer cookies at our neighborhood Asian market:

IMG_5519.jpg.841ce84fbe5aeb5249f86aff5a579554.jpg

The wafers are cocoa and the cream is coconut flavored.

And these I found at Publix.  They are from Northern Ireland:

IMG_5520.thumb.jpg.c66a94a6055cb3bd88c2a740213d43c0.jpg

They’re like mini cupcakes, dipped in raspberry jam and coconut:

IMG_5521.jpg.22ca33cccafbe38a96dfe201a2c1b86f.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg.a2b662ad0eeb4b591d6639f7a45a7fb0.jpg

They are really good.  The cake texture is excellent. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

A classic in the Philadelphia area...

chew.jpg

Love them.  The perfect combination of peanuts and caramel.  Even the fact that it's "mockolate" doesn't really bother me.  Though, how wonderful would they be with real chocolate.  Now that we have Wawa, I can have them whenever I like.  They even have mini-packs by the check out.  

• Like 1

Fresh tamarind. Not bitter like the immature stuff used as a souring agent in southern Asia. The pulp of the mature pods is sweet and sticky. Breaking it out from the thin pod and removing the seeds and strings is part of the fun. Delicious!

tamarind.thumb.JPG.176ac5bcc15306c7b4aa4a0308e15ca6.JPG

tamarind4.thumb.jpg.70a6d95db2426d04f3f25ff39fb55427.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

33 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Fresh tamarind. Not bitter like the immature stuff used as a souring agent in southern Asia. The pulp of the mature pods is sweet and sticky. Breaking it out from the thin pod and removing the seeds and strings is part of the fun. Delicious!

tamarind.thumb.JPG.176ac5bcc15306c7b4aa4a0308e15ca6.JPG

tamarind4.thumb.jpg.70a6d95db2426d04f3f25ff39fb55427.jpg

I love tamarind, but have always avoided the pods that you show because the blocks of paste are trouble enough for me. I also have no idea whether the "fresh" tamarind pods I see in the New Mexico grocery stores are really fresh. Next time you're snacking on these, would you please post photos of the interior part that you actually eat? Is it a soft pulp, or fairly dry, or...? If I thought I had a clue about these things I might try some from a USA grocery store.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

would you please post photos of the interior part that you actually eat? Is it a soft pulp, or fairly dry, or...?

Here you go. The brown pulp is soft and sticky. Remove the inedible strings first!

pulp.thumb.jpg.d73f3644b0de308e06e477f2683b3998.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As shown above this is what I get in Mexican market or dedicated area in supermarket. Easy to pull strings and slide seeds out. I put the pulp in a bit of warm water to make tamarind liquid for cooking and save the seeds as they delight me. Had quite a collection in a bowl. Always makes me think of  julia Andrews and Omar Sharif in The Tamarind Seed.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 10:04 PM, heidih said:

I put the pulp in a bit of warm water to make tamarind liquid for cooking

The seeds are edible, if roasted.

You really need to make the tamarind paste or liquid from the green immature pulp if you want the sour taste it is usually used for. The mature pulp is very different.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The seeds are edible, if roasted.

You really need to make the tamarind past or liquid from the green immature pulp if you want the sour taste it is usually used for. The mature pulp is very different.

Right this is more sweet/sourish but the blocks I thought are this. Anywho - what we get  here. Good on seed roast - did not know

Peanut butter pretzel nuggets from Costco. They were better in my pre-purchase imagination, but they’re fine. 

BDBAA1E8-D3C5-4CE6-B59F-C8362F68828F.thumb.jpeg.1834639aacf26a444462882b6896dabc.jpeg

• Like 3

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

23 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@patti, maybe try freezing a few of those peanut butter pretzels (and then eat them frozen). There may be more potential ...

Thanks, I’ll try that!

@rotuts I have no idea what the association is between these pretzel nuggets and something Spanish.🤷‍♀️

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I don't know why I know this---one of those weird random things that has stuck in my usually Swiss holed brain.  Valencia is a type of peanut.  It has red skin on the nuts.

That will be the one thing that I know  for the whole rest of the year 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know why I know this---one of those weird random things that has stuck in my usually Swiss holed brain.  Valencia is a type of peanut.  It has red skin on the nuts.

That will be the one thing that I know  for the whole rest of the year 🤣

Sister I had same thought

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, patti said:

Peanut butter pretzel nuggets from Costco. They were better in my pre-purchase imagination, but they’re fine. 

BDBAA1E8-D3C5-4CE6-B59F-C8362F68828F.thumb.jpeg.1834639aacf26a444462882b6896dabc.jpeg

Mr. Kim loves PB pretzels, so we always have some on hand.  The Costco ones are pretty good, but, to our taste, the Trader Joe's ones are excellent.  You know how you can shake the Costco (and other brands) nuggets and hear the little PB pellet shift back and forth?  The PB inside the TJ's ones are a sticky blob rather than a firm pellet.  That all sounds a little repellant, I know, but PB should be sticky and blobby, I think 😄.  So, if you have a TJ's near you, you might want to give them a try.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim loves PB pretzels, so we always have some on hand.  The Costco ones are pretty good, but, to our taste, the Trader Joe's ones are excellent.  You know how you can shake the Costco (and other brands) nuggets and hear the little PB pellet shift back and forth?  The PB inside the TJ's ones are a sticky blob rather than a firm pellet.  That all sounds a little repellant, I know, but PB should be sticky and blobby, I think 😄.  So, if you have a TJ's near you, you might want to give them a try.  

John would agree.  We aren't anywhere near a Trader Joe's but when we were, we always bought some.  The Costco ones "will do" but TJ's are better.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

John would agree.  We aren't anywhere near a Trader Joe's but when we were, we always bought some.  The Costco ones "will do" but TJ's are better.

Has he tried the ones from Superstore?

I haven't had the ones from Costco or TJ's (or the ones from Superstore, for that matter) but President's Choice would be readily available for pretty much anyone in Canada.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning