• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

3 hours ago, heidih said:

They are light & airy to me.. I love the name o the serial as the two are the same era  Aqua Net & Funyuns - 

Oh man, yeah.  Aquanet was a staple.  Those were the days.  I also remember buying this candy where it had a white candy "stick" that you would lick and then dip into different flavored powders.  Like grape flavor and strawberry.  I can't remember the name for the life of me.

• Like 1

I kinda remember it - like this?   Kids like to lick and dip the candy stick into the candy powder! Lik-m-aid® Fun Dip is a fun choice for party treat bags and a sweet way to reward kids, too.   

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh man, yeah.  Aquanet was a staple.  Those were the days.  I also remember buying this candy where it had a white candy "stick" that you would lick and then dip into different flavored powders.  Like grape flavor and strawberry.  I can't remember the name for the life of me.

We had something very similar when I was growing up in the British Isles. We called it Kali but I know it was also known as sherbet. It came with a (closed) liquorice straw. You bit off the top of the straw and then sucked up the sour and fizzy powder.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

I kinda remember it - like this?   Kids like to lick and dip the candy stick into the candy powder! Lik-m-aid® Fun Dip is a fun choice for party treat bags and a sweet way to reward kids, too.   

YES Lik-m!  Thank you! Oh I used to beg my folks to buy me that at baseball games--my then "dad" played in a city league.

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We had something very similar when I was growing up in the British Isles. We called it Kali but I know it was also known as sherbet. It came with a (closed) liquorice straw. You bit off the top of the straw and then sucked up the sour and fizzy powder.  

Ohhhhhhh we had something similar.  It was just plastic straws filled with the same type of powder.  Horrible for you, but I loved it lol.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

YES Lik-m!  Thank you! Oh I used to beg my folks to buy me that at baseball games--my then "dad" played in a city league.

Ohhhhhhh we had something similar.  It was just plastic straws filled with the same type of powder.  Horrible for you, but I loved it lol.

Pixie Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Lik-a-made?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes sherbet - was it Bassetts that made it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yes sherbet - was it Bassetts that made it?

I think it might have been. But I do remember the yellow paper and black bold type on it. But also in my mind it was closely associated with plaster of Paris something I cannot explain!

at least I got the Kali part correct. Here.

Edited by Anna N
To add additional information (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Apparently not Bassets 

See here.

oh. But it is if you read the fine print!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think it might have been. But I do remember the yellow paper and black bold type on it. But also in my mind it was closely associated with plaster of Paris something I cannot explain!

at least I got the Kali part correct. Here.

I recall a flat rectangular package with the top corners turned back 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, rotuts said:

my father used to eat Ritz crackers w

1/4 " of butter  and 1/4 " ++  of liverwurst.

no sauce.

he made it to 86.

he did have some reconstructive work done , x 2. 

In my youth it was liverwurst/yellow mustard on a ritz.

It is now pate/fig jam on a slice of baguette.

• Like 5

I haven't eaten these - yet!

A friend in England sent me a picture of these yesterday. Liuzhou is China's capital of snail eating, so I'm thinking of replicating them and making a fortune! And eating them!

47651364_snailcrisps.jpg.c36ebea7fc57289ff66807d424a7947c.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

But snails are more texture not taste. I posted this long ago  

My favorite Madeleine Kamman story is from When French Women Cook. She was living in Paris with her grandmother. She was quite young. The live snails had been put into a clay pot and covered with a weighted plate to force them to "build their window".:

"One boring Sunday afternoon I succumbed to the temptation to remove the weight. By 7 o'clock when we came back from some venture the walls were decorated with the visible trails of climbing snails. I got spanked, hated live snails forever for doing me in, and felt vindicated when they appeared in soups or sizzling in pastry shells"

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, heidih said:

But snails are more texture not taste. I posted this long ago  

My favorite Madeleine Kamman story is from When French Women Cook. She was living in Paris with her grandmother. She was quite young. The live snails had been put into a clay pot and covered with a weighted plate to force them to "build their window".:

"One boring Sunday afternoon I succumbed to the temptation to remove the weight. By 7 o'clock when we came back from some venture the walls were decorated with the visible trails of climbing snails. I got spanked, hated live snails forever for doing me in, and felt vindicated when they appeared in soups or sizzling in pastry shells"

I admit I would rather snails find their purpose covered in garlic butter. I find them sort of gross when alive, but it is a sad environmental truth that the common variety of snail in our neck of the woods has all but disappeared in the last several years. It used to be you couldn't avoid crunching them after a night rain when you went out get the paper. Now I never see them. Sorry you got spanked. It was a science experiment, right?

Oh, and would you please explain "build a window?" I know snails need prep, but never heard that term.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I admit I would rather snails find their purpose covered in garlic butter. I find them sort of gross when alive, but it is a sad environmental truth that the common variety of snail in our neck of the woods has all but disappeared in the last several years. It used to be you couldn't avoid crunching them after a night rain when you went out get the paper. Now I never see them. Sorry you got spanked. It was a science experiment, right?

Oh, and would you please explain "build a window?" I know snails need prep, but never heard that term.

It was Madeleine Kamman that got spanked. The window is the thin protective casing over their opening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operculum_(gastropod) Yes less snails down here = drought I think. We had huge apple snails invasive non-native in our local lake - those were cool. Lake was dredged and cleaned - thank you 4 your crud Shell.

Edited by heidih (log)

I have not had snails

' in the manner of the French '

for some time.

I did see some videos 

where you collected your ordinary Garden Snail

then put them in a very large plastic container 

so they could ' purge ' them selves

then , on to the cooking.

all I can remember when I had them some time ago in

FR

and I do not suggest FR methods are THeBest