• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Bought these frozen mandoo dumplings. Vegetable filling. Extremely tasty. Would buy again.

IMG_0840.thumb.jpeg.3d64a7196c3c91603bc8d4ca315a2323.jpeg

Made these gyoza dumplings, below, with pre-made, round wrappers (labelled "wonton" wrappers). Tofu, chive, ginger, & garlic filling. I need to buy larger wrappers; these wrappers were too small and I couldn't get enough filling inside. Good, though. The frozen ones tasted better.

IMG_0844.thumb.jpeg.f8207865ccea8f43c8a6d5f3f4393059.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Not that we can get them here, but @MokaPot what brand are they?

Shoot, @ElsieD, I knew I should have taken note from the packaging (now discarded). I plan to purchase them again. The people at that store are helpful, so I'll ask them what I got last time. I'll take note & post when I find out.

• Thanks 1

Had to share...

I will admit one of my (few) guilty pleasure snack are potato chips.

Recently I have found my new all time favourite brand - Covered Bridge.  Dark russet potato chips - super crunchy, fantastic flavours...oh these will be dangerous...

https://coveredbridgechips.com/en

So far I have tried their Home-style Ketchup, Creamy Dill Pickle and Crinkle cut All Dressed.

Oh boy.  If you like potato chips, do yourself a favour and track these down!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I used to buy their lobster-flavored potato chips as a novelty for visitors from out-of-province. Haven't seen them for a while, though, so they may have stopped making them.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Oh now you have my mind on lobster chips. Thick little discs with good taste. Like the Moricho ones here  https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/taste-test-asian-shrimp-lobster-crab-chips.html They have squid also. BUT can't get to Asian markets so no dice. Oh and Calbee wasabi shrimp chips...

• Like 1

FA1B5E0C-C1DC-4B7D-BB40-DD96653D47DA.thumb.jpeg.8988d02d017e9669496e8e6499352e6d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

So what were they like?

Well I really hate to admit this but they actually grew on me. They don’t taste much like onions but they have a texture that I find very appealing. I suppose the best description would be crispy chemicals!😂

Even so I would eat them again if they arrived in my house unexpectedly as these did. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

As  kid - like Ding-Dongs or Ho-Hos they represented play options in how to eat them. Eat around circle without breaking or? The other two- layers or bite through.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well I really hate to admit this but they actually grew on me. They don’t taste much like onions but they have a texture that I find very appealing. I suppose the best description would be crispy chemicals!😂

Even so I would eat them again if they arrived in my house unexpectedly as these did. 

I'll keep an eye out for them.  I'm not much of a snacker unless it's sweet but every now and again I love to chomp down on some crispy, salty, chemical bits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well I really hate to admit this but they actually grew on me. They don’t taste much like onions but they have a texture that I find very appealing. I suppose the best description would be crispy chemicals!

16395953_OishiOnionRings.thumb.jpg.45519f11043f507ad8cc42179bf84237.jpg

A few years ago, I went through a short but irrational phase of eating these. I may even have posted them here. I guess they still have them; I never go down that aisle anymore. Crisp chemicals sums it up.

(Sorry. I have a rational linguistic objection to 'crispy'.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

31 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

(Sorry. I have a rational linguistic objection to 'crispy'.)

Don’t apologize. I bow to your linguistic credentials. 

No doubt I will come to my senses after a few bags of Funions. But for now I refuse to apologize for my brief flirtation with chemical crisps.

• Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

FA1B5E0C-C1DC-4B7D-BB40-DD96653D47DA.thumb.jpeg.8988d02d017e9669496e8e6499352e6d.jpeg

They also come in "Flamin' Hot" (quite popular with the young crowd) which means they took the orange powder they use on the Flamin' Hot Cheetos and doused the Funyuns. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

OMG, my sister!  Funyuns and Mt. Dew!  What a perfect snack.  Afterwards there is no part of your mouth and tongue that isn't raw and scoured.  But it's like pizza burn - so worth it. 🤣

When I was in sixth grade or so, the community swimming pool would open at noon.  All the kids would wait in line, get their prime spot that they wanted and then hoof it to the concession window -if you had allowance money.  When I did it was always FunYuns.  The heavy smell of chlorine, suntan lotion, Sun-In  and chemical onions.  Good memory 😁

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

On 3/31/2021 at 6:06 PM, Anna N said:

Never tried them, don't think we see them in stores here though I probably saw them in the US. But I'll always remember them from an early episode of Breaking Bad, when they are first setting out in the meth lab RV and Walter White asks Jesse to bring some food for their time out in the desert. Jesse brings Funyuns, it's a funny little exchange, as I recall. 

• Like 3

For one brief shining moment, wasabi Funyuns existed. Yes, they were good (IMO).

For those on the fence about trying them, the Funyuns texture is like the Cheetos puffs texture. The Funyuns flavor, IMO, is onion-y.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2021 at 6:06 PM, Anna N said:

They are light & airy to me.. I love the name o the serial as the two are the same era  Aqua Net & Funyuns - 

• Like 1

So, I had to make a Target run yesterday.  I'd put together Easter goodie bags for the grandnieces and grandnephew.  I forgot that I needed to do something for the new little guy (5 months and I hadn't met him until today).  I thought an Easter board book would be perfect.  And these damn things just leapt into my cart:

IMG_5480.jpg.508aa5981cf3bfda80a7cf817eb5a239.jpg

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6