• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

12 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

For @Kim Shook and others who are fond of saltines, I've just discovered a saltine-like cracker that ups the ante: It is Westminster Bakers Square Hearty Crackers. Apparently the brand is an old New England Company. They are a sort of like a saltine and an oyster cracker had a baby. I can't explain it, but I love them. Of course ordering from Amazon I somehow was in denial about the price and didn't realize when I started to re-order how ridiculous the mark-up is. It doesn't matter, because they are out of stock a week after my first order.

I'm sure that this brand can easily be found on shelves all over the northeast for about a third the price. The operation seems to specialize in oyster crackers. Anyway, I'm on a search for a more reasonable source while suffering from withdrawal. 

Those are the best!  They used to be available at Cracker Barrel, but the website doesn't list them anymore.  

Just happened to discover that Sichuan peppercorns work well with dark chocolate. Might try to pair them further with orange zest, toasted sesame or chili.

Also, remember to wash your hands between cooking and snacking :P

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

“Have a break! Have a Qiqiao!“

I could buy KitKats (奇巧 - qí qiăo - literally “exquisite“) in China 20 years ago, then they disappeared. Looks like they are relaunching them. 

20210201_205744.thumb.jpg.6392733f192e1ecec542d3b8c8e65eb4.jpg

I am amused that they come with instructions!

325667267_20210201_2046381.thumb.jpg.fc299ec6b20646824944664457d45297.jpg

Inside that box are three of the smallest KitKats you ever saw!

20210201_203536.thumb.jpg.df3855dbe18c0051049fcdf946a4cae2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Haiyuan (海渊) is a small town in Ningming County, China right beside the border with Vietnam. One of my friends lives there and sent me this gift. (It is traditional to send a small food gift to people who have just moved house.)' The manufacturing company belongs to my friend's cousin.

20210204_205500.jpg.92382e13a60325a98303b6dbf12e2f2c.jpg

海渊沙糕 (hăi yuān shā gāo)

It reads 'Haiyuan Granulated Cake - Sesame (Flavour). Each package (I received 5) contains these small cakes made from Glutinous Rice, Peanut Oil, White Sugar and Sesame.

20210204_224445.jpg.401b4e733a783d2c9d5021bbc049744b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

You gave all the details except the most crucial one...how are they? (taste, texture, etc)

Sounds like it might almost be a cousin to halwa/halvah.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

56 minutes ago, chromedome said:

You gave all the details except the most crucial one...how are they? (taste, texture, etc)

Sounds like it might almost be a cousin to halwa/halvah.

Well I didn't think it necessary to describe the taste of somethng with only four ingredients, two  of which are almost tasteless. Yes, it is similar to halva, at least in texture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled upon these at Walmart. I had never seen the brand before.

Cazo de Oro Tortilla Chips Fire Roasted Hatch Chile flavor

CazodeOroTortillaChips.jpg.8f1ab77627c1e92263a60ef52010c383.jpg

I thought they might have a little kick to them but nope. Instead they have just the slightest sweetness to them. 

The main reason I like these tortilla chips is because they're thick...much thicker than, say, comparatively wimpy Doritos Tortilla Chips. 

The bag says they're made from fresh tortillas and I believe them.

These chips would make really good nachos and would stand up to the thickest dips around. Really good!

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A friend gave me, as an early St. Patrick's Day gift, these See's Scotchmallows (dark chocolate, marshmallow, & caramel). The 6 on the left are the regular Scotchmallows. The 6 on the right are St. Patrick's Day Scotchmallows (mint flavor). I like the original flavor better but was glad to receive these as a gift.

IMG_0826.thumb.jpeg.5ab03189ecf91381cdf4fa653d403ab3.jpeg

Before I received the Scotchmallows, my sweet tooth was acting up and I got these mini frosted vanilla cupcakes.

IMG_0830.thumb.jpeg.396d48ef883e1d7d9be5d1fca0d5f937.jpeg

• Like 6

I was shopping and thinking of the recent eel topic, so looked in to see if they had any, but not today. However, where they usually have the eels they had these. So, I bought some.

20210304_134308.thumb.jpg.e5ed7b899ce4d5399661ef223f5e3b58.jpg

They are a bit slimy and can live for days out of water, so long as they don't dry out completely. And they are lively! I spent a while chasing some around the kitchen!

The ony realistic way to kill them is to put them into cold water, then bring that to a boil. This also causes the skin to slip from some.

20210305_124010.thumb.jpg.5d62f9791404c54531785ae8c29cfbe6.jpg

Boiled

Once they cooled down and dried a bit, I gutted them. Left heads, fins and tails on. Too much trouble. They are still sticky.

Dredged them lightly in flour seasoned with Sichuan peppercorn, chilli flakes and salt and deep fried them until crisp. Delicious hot or cold.

So what are they?

Loach. There are many varieties of loach. These ones are small - some are much larger.

20210305_122345.thumb.jpg.e9953fb0f2780058d3f02c3c289edf3f.jpg

20210305_183438.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

I first encountered those in the pages of "Lorna Doone," when I was a kid. From the description of young John stalking them I drew the conclusion that they were some sort of crawfish, and it wasn't until a few years ago that a chance mention sent me to Google to see what they actually were.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

My favorite candy bar in the world:

IMG_5281.jpg.2a17806e6f66eda93b05670e7bb6d331.jpg

With a Mt. Dew chaser. 😁

How similar is it to the Australian Violet Crumble? Which one has better sponge and which one has better chocolate? I've never had a Crunchie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😳

I had no idea it existed!  

Damn it I just ordered some off Amazon.  Spent too much $ but I had to have it.  

Where were you on Feb 7th ;)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Soy braised silkworm pupae with chillies. Apologies for picture quality.

Not gonna happen. The picture quality is more than adequate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog