• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

12 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

really tasty mango, it is the common Tommy Atkin variety which is often stringy, this one was perfectly ripe and tasty.

Lucky you. I had one of the common Tommy Atkin variety the other day and it was truly inedible. The pit seemed to take up much more of the space than it usually does, the flesh was stringy and seemed to be overripe in places and underripe in other places.  I will be giving mangos a miss for a while. 

• Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lucky you. I had one of the common Tommy Atkin variety the other day and it was truly inedible. IThe pit seemed to take up much more of the space than it usually does, the flesh was stringy and seemed to be overripe in places and underripe in other places.  I will be giving mangos a miss for a while. 

Having had the same experience, the only mangoes I buy now are atauflos.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Having had the same experience, the only mangoes I buy now are atauflos.

These mangos from Israel (via Costco) are the best I am ever had click.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

长沙臭豆腐 (cháng shā chòu dòu fǔ) Changsha Stinky Tofu.

We need a shudder emoji!  

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Currently snacking on Blue Diamond Gourmet Almonds: Garlic, Herb and Olive Oil (click).

They're an impulse item I bought at Costco this past weekend.

I was prepared to hate them....but they're really good. And the more I snack on them, the more I want to continue to eat them

The herb blend reminds me of the herb crust my family's yearly Christmas Prime Rib roast.

I was surprised the almonds were skinless. If only I had noticed the picture of the almonds on the front of the bag. xD

While the garlic flavor is subdued, I believe the herb in the forefront is Thyme. I'm not a fan of Rosemary which is what I figured they would taste of, but was happy to find I was wrong.

Two thumbs up for these almonds!

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 11/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, ElsieD said:

Are they Tommy Atkins?  They look too big to be atauflos.

Those are probably Maya mangoes. Those are a somewhat recent variety, very popular for export (farmers here export most of the best produce, the local market often gets the grade B :(, though I'm partial to our home grown mangoes, nothing beats fruit harvested when ripe).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:59 PM, ElsieD said:

Are they Tommy Atkins?  They look too big to be atauflos.

I believe so. But I am no expert on mangos. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I got a sourdough rye from a neighbor, and some rich ricotta style cheese from another. I toasted some bread slices and topped with cheese (not very spreadable) and home made mulberry preserves. The rye and berries both have chocolate like notes, and the cheese a creamy taste, I could have been convinced there's chocolate in there.

PXL_20201115_104602312.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

So ticked off by people ignoring restrictions that I have snarfled almost half a bag of the 
meant for green bean casserole" fried onions. And I do not stress eat. They are really nice once a year. People!!!  The onions not the people

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, managed to get out and buy some crackers to go with the chicken liver pâté I made on New Year's morning. With pickled gherkins. which cut through the richness of the pâté nicely.

1351248421_20210103_1406261.thumb.jpg.ef85dd299f7fb81cd08668a05bb4f0e0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...

I made some "dip" with labneh and furikake, a drop of toasted sesame oil would have been good. Ate with rice cracker and carrots/celery.

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@MokaPot 

looks good

no SnowBalls ?

I remember these from 60years ago

I do not and did not care for coconut shreaded

but on the very rare days SnowBalls showed up

0.5 times a year

I devoured them

one for me , one for my sister

w ice cold milk

I think the pink ere better

but I did not take the time to e concerned.

• Like 1

For @Kim Shook and others who are fond of saltines, I've just discovered a saltine-like cracker that ups the ante: It is Westminster Bakers Square Hearty Crackers. Apparently the brand is an old New England Company. They are a sort of like a saltine and an oyster cracker had a baby. I can't explain it, but I love them. Of course ordering from Amazon I somehow was in denial about the price and didn't realize when I started to re-order how ridiculous the mark-up is. It doesn't matter, because they are out of stock a week after my first order.

I'm sure that this brand can easily be found on shelves all over the northeast for about a third the price. The operation seems to specialize in oyster crackers. Anyway, I'm on a search for a more reasonable source while suffering from withdrawal. 

• Like 1