• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

On 9/16/2020 at 2:39 PM, Kim Shook said:

A few weeks ago, a co-worker of Mr. Kim's made a quick loaf and left it in the freezer for the people still working on his floor.  No one else would touch it, so he brought it home.  When she heard how much I loved it, she sent us the recipe and made us another loaf – Crumb-Topped Cocoa Banana Bread:

IMG_3488.jpg.2bfd1307ae52616c9ec6cee82d214de1.jpg

Looks lovely, Kim. Just add a couple of tablespoons cocoa to regular banana bread?

I always made sure to keep the big bag of them on the top layer of chest freezer where the microwaveable teen boy snacks were. They kinda stopped shrieking after a while. Arranged them in the bag curled claw up so it was obvious ;) 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

When I buy chicken paws (that's what they are called on the package) for stock, I always chase Jessica around the house with one.  

The two most common terms in Chinese are 鸡爪 (jī zhuǎ), literally chicken's claw, and 凤爪 (fèng zhuǎ), literally phoenix claw.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Currently snacking on Blue Diamond almonds, Spicy Dill Pickle flavor.  O.o

To quote Phoebe from the TV series "Friends": "This is what evil must taste like!" :o

I didn't mean to buy them. They were right next to the Blue Diamond Almonds, Wasabi & Soy flavor, which also come in a green can. Now those I like.

The Spicy Dill Pickle flavor are pretty bad. But I discovered that if I get past the initial dill part, the almonds are actually sweet and the dill flavor goes away. And they have absolutely no spiciness to them, the lying liars.

I've learned my lesson...look at the label on the can in your hand before it goes into your shopping cart. ¬¬

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

These X-5 bars are a Korean chocolate bar which I buy in a Japanese store in China, I am guessing they might be Asian.

360316947_20201015_1546051.thumb.jpg.0086874827bae1e5f9f27296e82fa963.jpg

But if you see any, buy them. They are so good I'm surprised the Geneva Conventions or some such international treaty didn't ban them.

However, only buy the ones in the white wrapper. They are peanut flavoured. There is also a version in yellow wrapping which they gratuitously describe as "banana" flavour. Only if bananas taste like rancid, leprous, gangrenous socks which haven't been changed in months. Truly horrible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

However, only buy the ones in the white wrapper. They are peanut flavoured. There is also a version in yellow wrapping which they gratuitously describe as "banana" flavour. Only if bananas taste like rancid, leprous, gangrenous socks which haven't been changed in months. Truly horrible.

That may perhaps be the finest description of "tastes nasty" that I ever read. Well done.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Oh yes fake banana flavoring sends me to the regurgitation bin. What I notice in the US is more a sickly sweet vomit smell like the front lawn after a frat party.  

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Confused 1

Crackers with "marinated seafood salad" from the supermarket's olive/antipasto bar* or, as I like to think of it, "tentacles on Triscuits."

*sold prepackaged in the Covid era, rather than in bulk.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I often snack on peanuts.  Tonight I had a dinner of pasta and pumpkin, and put out a bowl of Parmesan.  When it came time for my mai tai I mistakenly thought the Parmesan was salt so I filled the bowl with peanuts.  It was quite a unami bomb but then I had no grated Parmesan for my pasta.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

G

B687A720-E882-4B43-A440-BE9413D63535.thumb.jpeg.7d3fc61a7d1b7c39af6578e708b191d2.jpeg

Oven “fries”. Was an experiment (failed).  Used ghee as the oil. Still ate them. Hey — they’re fries. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oddly, I couldn't find a corporate web site for the maker of these...

Open Nature Pita Chips with Sea Salt

I think they are much better than Stacey's Pita Chips. These chips are quite sturdy and don't break if you're using them to eat a rather stiff hummus.

Plus, they have a wee bit of fiber, as well.

Win-Win:D

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver