• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

1472777704_20200607_1143201.thumb.jpg.81c7cbaca28a7c4d4f81b98d691de750.jpg

The picture of the finished cracker is attractive. I had never heard of coix seed before. Can you describe the taste? Did you like the crackers?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The picture of the finished cracker is attractive. I had never heard of coix seed before. Can you describe the taste? Did you like the crackers?

To be honest, the taste is minimal. A bit llike barley. They are mostly there for medicinal reasons. The crackers were rather nice, though.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Two to post...

Currently snacking on Cheetos Cheddar Popcorn (click). While not the same cheesy flavor as Cheetos, I think it's quite cheesy and good.

Yesterday I snacked on Stacy's Cheese Petites - Romano with Garlic and Pepper (click).

I was fooled by the picture on the bag. In the salad dressing section of the grocery store they sell Parmesan cheese salad "toppers" for salads (Costco seels the huge bag of cheese toppers). The toppers are basically melted cheese.

So I bought Stacy's thinking they were just like the cheese toppers. 

They're crackers. That being said, they taste exactly like the cheese toppers. Very tasty!

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Mostly I don't snack when on line. Maybe I just get absorbed and don't think about it. Another reason is that I don't want my greasy fingers on my keyboard. But recently I tried something new with one of my preferred snacks. I have a weakness for Cheetos, especially when drinking a bloody mary. But picture this: Cheetos has a new best friend-- a pair of chopsticks. No greasy fingers, no orange dust spoiling a cloth napkin. The height of elegance.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Mostly I don't snack when on line. Maybe I just get absorbed and don't think about it. Another reason is that I don't want my greasy fingers on my keyboard. But recently I tried something new with one of my preferred snacks. I have a weakness for Cheetos, especially when drinking a bloody mary. But picture this: Cheetos has a new best friend-- a pair of chopsticks. No greasy fingers, no orange dust spoiling a cloth napkin. The height of elegance.

Oh dear there is a whole meme about the chopstick/cheeto Have fun!  https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/eating-cheetos-with-chopsticks

Edited by heidih (log)

40 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh dear there is a whole meme about the chopstick/cheeto Have fun!  https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/eating-cheetos-with-chopsticks

Then you think I should withdraw my patent application? Geez, but really, no surprise lots of people figured this one out before I did. Like long, long before Cheeto dust rained down on Earth. A fork would so not work. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Trail mix:

IMG_2614.thumb.jpg.e3f40b7ea3e01d173c7dbd9797faafe5.jpg

Needs more nuts.  I think they have a nut heavy one - I should get a bag of that and mix them.  

Careful.  Have you watched Zombieland Double Tap, perchance?  "I thought trail mix was vegan."

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Miriravan said:

I am fighting the sudden very strong urge to make a batch of chex mix, for which I would have to deliberately go and buy the cereal, since I don't eat it any more.

They make snack bags of it for smaller cravings.  Chex Mix Savory Traditional Snack Mix - 3.75oz - image 1 of 4Chex Mix Savory Traditional Snack Mix - 3.75oz - image 1 of 4

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

They make snack bags of it for smaller cravings.  Chex Mix Savory Traditional Snack Mix - 3.75oz - image 1 of 4Chex Mix Savory Traditional Snack Mix - 3.75oz - image 1 of 4

Oh, but it's not NEARLY as good as homemade!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

35 minutes ago, Miriravan said:

No.  It really isn't.  I make mine with a lot more nuts and cheesy crackers and pretty much double up on the 'sauce'.

Yep. Lots of butter. Lots of Worcestershire. Lots of Tabasco. Lots of seasoned salt.

I make gluten free Chex mix. Corn chex, Rice chex, tons of pecans, the occasional pine nuts or cashews, and GF pretzels. I have been known to add Cheerios, but they tend to migrate to the bottom of the bag or bowl.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nothing very exciting here, but something I haven't had for awhile. Lots of things you can put on a piece of Wasa bread with cream cheese, but right now it's all about the produce. Cucumber and tomato is my usual topping, interesting to see what other people use. 

IMG_20200708_170703.thumb.jpg.cea6830cd80ffe5deca16144cca10da4.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:05 PM, heidih said:

I was just thinkin if you did not want to over indulge yet satisfy an itch

It was a good thought, but instead I finally caved and ended up with a gigantic tub of salty, buttery, slightly spicy goodness.  I am doing my best to not eat more than a handful at a time, at which rate it will last me some while.

• Like 2

3 slices of party pumpernickel (why 3?  I have no idea) smeared with some honey goat cheese then spread with some sour cherry jam.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

3 slices of party pumpernickel (why 3?  I have no idea) smeared with some honey goat cheese then spread with some sour cherry jam.

Oh now I want sour cherry jam to go with my first homemade ricotta. All I got is oranges so off to prep them for marmalade - I like it bitter. Maybe a few drops of balsamic.

• Like 2