• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Currently snacking on BIGS Slightly Salted Pumpkin Seeds.

The shell is edible so I eat it all. Fiber! xD

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Currently snacking on BIGS Slightly Salted Pumpkin Seeds.

The shell is edible so I eat it all. Fiber! xD

I certainly munched on the Halloween pumpkin seeds after brining and roasting. The kids anxiously awaited Mrs. Keough's seeds. The guys at the pumpkin patch would give me free ones on Nov 1.  But green pepitas are hull-less by nature. I had no clue until a while ago. I like them in both forms. So yours had the hull?  https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/pepitas/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, heidih said:

I certainly munched on the Halloween pumpkin seeds after brining and roasting. The kids anxiously awaited Mrs. Keough's seeds. The guys at the pumpkin patch would give me free ones on Nov 1.  But green pepitas are hull-less by nature. I had no clue until a while ago. I like them in both forms. So yours had the hull?  https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/pepitas/

Yes. I suppose I could crack them open  (like a sunflower seed) and just eat the inner seed, but then I sometimes eat the entire sunflower seed, hull and all. I guess it depends on my mood.

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Yes. I suppose I could crack them open  (like a sunflower seed) and just eat the inner seed, but then I sometimes eat the entire sunflower seed, hull and all. I guess it depends on my mood.

That is what all the kids do at Little League with sunflower seeds. They look like they have chew in their cheeks. Love it when they spit out  stand back - don't stand so close to me.  https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/53234/when-did-baseball-players-start-chewing-sunflower-seeds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TdeV said:

What is it, @Kim Shook ?

It's a giant, crazy marshmallow.  And, no, I'm not 12.  I just was entranced with the look of it.  I didn't finish it, but wanted to know what it was like.  I'm thinking about lighting a candle later.  I'm thinking it would be tastier if weed were legal in VA.  😄

• Haha 8

Son and DIL were working from home and quarantined in (occupied) our beach house.  They are now back to their house in NJ.  My DIL is Chinese and I got a lot of Asian ingredients that they left behind.  And a few American staples.  So I snacked on pedestrian white bread and an umami bomb mixture of miso, Lao Gan Ma, mushroom sauce, kewpie mayo.  Cold beer not shown ;)

5FA755F9-8863-4073-BED0-9B547FD212D2.thumb.jpeg.4bbe8dd48ba2755d9030c942ed2b9121.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 Ritz crackers - 3 with a garlic and herb cheese, one of those with red pepper jelly, 2 with pepper jack topped with some of that red pepper jelly.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I baked cookies.  I ate them.

Speaking as a writer,  I can but admire such an elegantly economical narrative. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Snacking on Werther's Caramel Popcorn (click).

It surprised me...a lot of caramel popcorn just tastes like the caramel. With this, however, I can taste the popcorn, aside from the caramel, which I thought was unusual but good.

And yes, the caramel tastes EXACTLY like the Werther's Caramel candies. Two thumbs up.:B

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

7 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Snacking on Werther's Caramel Popcorn (click).

It surprised me...a lot of caramel popcorn just tastes like the caramel. With this, however, I can taste the popcorn, aside from the caramel, which I thought was unusual but good.

And yes, the caramel tastes EXACTLY like the Werther's Caramel candies. Two thumbs up.:B

You evil person, you!🙂

• Haha 4

@Toliver – I love Werther’s caramel and I adore caramel corn, so I’ll be looking for that!

I seem to be here more often than anyone else.  Hmmm. :blush:  Yesterday Mr. Kim and I shared an afternoon snack:

IMG_2251.jpg.9bc1d5c4c040d1a3d312975b83c10737.jpg

Crackers, fig jam, Brie, and mortadella.  The “crackers” in the very back are actually oatcakes and those with the Brie and fig jam are so very good! 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

• 2 weeks later...

Taiwanese iron eggs. Those are flavored with five spice and dark caramel. Those are quail eggs, which are cooked and air dried until the egg-white is chewy-elastic ("Q") and the flavor is concentrated. The yolk is very rich, more than a regular tea egg.

Goes well with beer.

IMG_20200524_163459.jpg

IMG_20200524_164228.jpg

IMG_20200524_164358.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.