• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

@Smithy 

i know exactly what your mean

not so much the Margarine

but  rather than a cracker

a decent bread w good crumb

before you turn that into soud

then : butter , and a good quality Jam / preserve / marmalade 

just saying

I use the TJ's    rolls that are 1/2 bakes

I cut them in 1/2 and toast them in the CSO

and let cool  , not so much crunchy 

but Bread Like.

delicious 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My new “crack”. Think of something that is half chicharrón and half frico. 

480DBCFB-FE2F-498C-9B40-4FEB20C13064.thumb.jpeg.9979d0f514c81bd0499aecfdeb6b70f9.jpeg

Baked parmesan rinds. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My new “crack”. Think of something that is half chicharrón and half frico. 

480DBCFB-FE2F-498C-9B40-4FEB20C13064.thumb.jpeg.9979d0f514c81bd0499aecfdeb6b70f9.jpeg

Baked parmesan rinds. 

How "CHEWY" or hard are those things?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How "CHEWY" or hard are those things?

Done right they are neither chewy nor hard. Very much like chicharrón. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Instructions?

I thought nobody would ever ask. These are amazing. You have to make sure they fully puff.

Here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I thought nobody would ever ask. These are amazing. You have to make sure they fully puff.

Here.

Looks simple enough...and I just happen to have a few rinds kicking around.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Looks simple enough...and I just happen to have a few rinds kicking around.

Hope you make them and let us know what you think.

My 2004 eG Blog

45F1BBB0-B54A-44B0-A2CF-9D9EA065E8BA.thumb.jpeg.2b4bcb577bf0cdd81237eb5ed537f3dc.jpeg

There was recently talk elsewhere on eG about Lipton‘s onion soup mix and sour cream as a dip. The first thing I learned is that it is no longer Lipton‘s. It is now Knorr’s. Second thing I learned or should I say re-learned is that with my dentition raw carrots are probably not the best choice. But damn that dip was as good as I remember it. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

45F1BBB0-B54A-44B0-A2CF-9D9EA065E8BA.thumb.jpeg.2b4bcb577bf0cdd81237eb5ed537f3dc.jpeg

There was recently talk elsewhere on eG about Lipton‘s onion soup mix and sour cream as a dip. The first thing I learned is that it is no longer Lipton‘s. It is now Knorr’s. Second thing I learned or should I say re-learned is that with my dentition raw carrots are probably not the best choice. But damn that dip was as good as I remember it. 

Still Lipton in the US.  I made some yesterday to have with subs we picked up.  Funny though - I hadn't made it in ages and didn't need to look and see what size sour cream to buy.  I think Onion Soup Dip directions are in my DNA.  Kinda like cocktail sauce is.  

• Haha 4

@Anna N - I was thinking of you the other night as I was grating cheese for my spaghetti!  I was eyeing my rinds to estimate when they might be ready!

RE: cracker snacks.  In my childhood, saltines (Premium ONLY) were an everyday snack, whereas Ritz (the GOOD cracker) was a little more special.  Of course, the raison d'etre of Ritz is cream cheese and pepper jelly. But, really, cream cheese and orange marmalade or apricot jam were good, too.  Not to mention fig or FROG (Fig, Raspberry, Orange, Ginger) jam, but that wasn't until I grew up.  

Classic snack:

IMG_1682.jpg.c4d0d840c34392cc00638733eca6ad8e.jpg

Premium saltines.  Top two are PB, bottom two just butter.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 8

Two major reasons for Premium saltines. The other two being cracker crumbs and eating with tamales covered with chili. And they must be Premium or Zesta saltines. A lot of stuff is fine with cheap knockoffs. Saltines are not.

A favorite steakhouse in Hot Springs, which burned to the ground just before I moved there 😒, brought a huge basket of Saltines and a large cup of its housemade French dressing to the table as an amuse bouche. I could regularly ruin my appetite with 'em. Never mastered the art of their house--made French, either.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another saltine snack in our family was a plate of American cheese (deli, not plastic wrapped) and all beef bologna cut in quarters, saltines (yes, only Zesta or Premium) and HOT cocktail sauce.  I've never met another person who did this, but in my family cheese is always served with cocktail sauce.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I indulged in locally made very spicy wasabi fried peas today. That box of Sees chocolate in the freezer dad's wife's accountant sent at Christmas is sending out "try me" messages. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@liuzhou - your chips snack took me back to when I was a young teenager and would go home with my stepsisters to their mum's home. (We were an odd family).  There was always a covered saucepan full of oil on the stove and seemingly endless boxes of frozen fries in the freezer.  This was the usual after school snack there and also dinner if no one felt like cooking.  A bowl full of fries on our laps, we'd watch TV and pass the bottle of malt vinegar back and forth (this was in the US, but they were British).  

Late night snack last night:

toast1.thumb.jpg.d773aae8694b61e8aea6ea3fe9e836bf.jpg

My white bread with Kirkland strawberry jam/butter. 

• Like 7

Lay's Taco Flavored Potato Chips. They're "meh".

They do have a taco-ish flavor (cumin-y) and a little tiny kick to them.

Their biggest fault is that they're not ridged/Ruffle-like chips. Just plain old flat potato chips. :(

• Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...