• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

20200129_102435.thumb.jpg.e53f85941dec5244df6dd0e1df3990b1.jpg

20200129_104421.thumb.jpg.1805d3538cb40f169db0ef99b8108e7d.jpg

Ingredients: Minced Fish Surimi [Soy Protein Isolate, Water, Vegetable Oil, Starch, Edible Salt,Sugar, food additives (sodium glutamate, sodium pyrophosphate, gelatine), Edible flavor, Spice]  water, sugar, edible salt, food product additives (sodium glutamate, citric acid,5-taste disodium glutamate, D-sodium ascorbate), spices.

Allergen Information: This product contains fish and its products, soy and its products.

How to eat: Ready to eat.

(translated from the Chinese)

I'd change the last part to "How to eat: Cut out the middleman and despatch to the compost heap directly."

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'd change the last part to "How to eat: Cut out the middleman and despatch to the compost heap directly."

At least the salt is edible.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

20200129_102435.thumb.jpg.e53f85941dec5244df6dd0e1df3990b1.jpg

20200129_104421.thumb.jpg.1805d3538cb40f169db0ef99b8108e7d.jpg

Is it safe to compost?  

• Haha 5

Potato chips made with newly acquired Mastrad microwave chip maker.  It was 2 dollars at the thrift shop.  I could not resist.  Served with guacamole and blue cheese.

D7A1E670-208A-479B-8D48-D92B42742DC5.thumb.jpeg.fd71e3013b46cf984119938b000d698b.jpeg

image.jpeg.81bee50bbe7cef034fc9f7968171db22.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

So how were the chips?

Good.  Very different from the commercial chips.  You basically taste the potatoes and nothing else.  Perfect for strong tasting cheese and guacamole.

• Like 4

53BCFC5A-7A86-47E3-9828-D45D48F8AF2D.thumb.jpeg.ea07b56fe42a5ce95cfc2b6d8405982b.jpeg

Last evening my very talented granddaughter brought me this plate of tiny nori-wrapped smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber bites. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

53BCFC5A-7A86-47E3-9828-D45D48F8AF2D.thumb.jpeg.ea07b56fe42a5ce95cfc2b6d8405982b.jpeg

Last evening my very talented granddaughter brought me this plate of tiny nori-wrapped smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber bites. 

She made them?

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

She made them?

Yes, she made them!  Puts mine to shame. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering something the other day as I was perusing eG and noshing.  Is there anywhere else in the world besides the Southern US that a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter constitutes a reasonable snack?  This and @racheld's "things in dishes" are the items that come out when house guests arrive in the wee hours or when card games go on and on.  @caroled?

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I was wondering something the other day as I was perusing eG and noshing.  Is there anywhere else in the world besides the Southern US that a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter constitutes a reasonable snack? 

It is to me, though I've certainly received my share of odd looks.

At the end of the day a cracker is nothing more than a crisp flatbread, and why should anyone think it odd to put butter on bread?

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Is there anywhere else in the world besides the Southern US that a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter constitutes a reasonable snack?

That takes me back - when we were kids, mom used to give us buttered saltines for a snack all the time. 

• Like 2

as a 3 or 4 year old it was Ritz with a dab of Miracle Whip and a piece of blue cheese.   I was … and still am … a bit weird.🤪

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh Ritz! Plain though for us. A a kid I never understood the cup  of saltines (packed by 2's) on the table at some  diners, What?   They were to me matzo with salt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

as a 3 or 4 year old it was Ritz with a dab of Miracle Whip and a piece of blue cheese.   I was … and still am … a bit weird.🤪

...and then there's this stuff...

(from the "weird crap I legitimately find while working" dept...)

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/21/2020 at 5:08 PM, Kim Shook said:

I was wondering something the other day as I was perusing eG and noshing.  Is there anywhere else in the world besides the Southern US that a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter constitutes a reasonable snack?  This and @racheld's "things in dishes" are the items that come out when house guests arrive in the wee hours or when card games go on and on.  @caroled?

Are you suggesting that a whole sleeve and a whole stick is a snack for one?  Growing up we had saltines around for one reason, which is pretty weird: my mother used to eat saltines alongside chocolate ice cream. For years I never even thought about saltines, but then 32 years ago when I was pregnant it was the only thing I could eat. Now I'm rather fond of them, with or without butter. Unsalted butter, that would be. Last year I convinced my husband to MAKE saltines. They were pretty good the first day, but became completely stale overnight. Clearly what comes in a sleeve should stay in a sleeve.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Are you suggesting that a whole sleeve and a whole stick is a snack for one?  Growing up we had saltines around for one reason, which is pretty weird: my mother used to eat saltines alongside chocolate ice cream. For years I never even thought about saltines, but then 32 years ago when I was pregnant it was the only thing I could eat. Now I'm rather fond of them, with or without butter. Unsalted butter, that would be. Last year I convinced my husband to MAKE saltines. They were pretty good the first day, but became completely stale overnight. Clearly what comes in a sleeve should stay in a sleeve.

No, not a whole sleeve and a whole stick.  Just that a sleeve of crackers, a knife and a butter dish on a table makes a fairly complete snack for me that goes back as far as I can remember.  

• Like 1

A whole sleeve and whole stick is no longer a snack, it's a "light lunch." :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up slathering butter (margarine, really) on saltines as a snack. Sometime in my adulthood when I started thinking about fat, I stopped - but really, it isn't very different than cheese on crackers! I may have to try some today. Mmm.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown