• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

And when you finish it, are you rewarded with a chocolate Arc de  Triomphe?  That is classy snacking!

Marshmallow Jeanne d'Arc.

• Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

As iverywun sensubul noes, the word c*rn  should only ever be used as a verb and even then, only in the sense below.

II. 3.II.3 trans. To sprinkle with salt in grains; to season, pickle, or preserve with salt; to salt.

Today, I picked these up.

20191027_130412.thumb.jpg.8f1e76fddc2d1a1eea52902ebc5f1786.jpg

20191027_130655.thumb.jpg.6922e409efca0a530b75fa186dd34f7e.jpg

Salt preserved quail eggs. Despite the Japanese on the packaging, the small print indicates they are processed in Hunan, China.  The company selling them is Japanese, though.

Spicy hot, but delicious.

ETA: Despite being fully aware of the meaning intended, I did check the list of ingredients carefully, to make sure they hadn't sneaked some c*rn in. They often do! It's a communist plot!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, demiglace said:

Where's the Awesome button and where do I buy a chocolate Tour de Eiffel? other than in France?

Our next door neighbour gave us each one.  She was recently in Brussels and I suppose she may have gone to France while there.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IowaDee said:

And when you finish it, are you rewarded with a chocolate Arc de  Triomphe?  That is classy snacking!

That would be nice.  It's a wider building so more chocolate!

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a plain version of these here a few weeks back, but when I went shopping yesterday, I found these.

20191107_150444.thumb.jpg.d5a6d3eba5d4bf0b372df97a3fd14a93.jpg

Not as spicy as my jaded taste buds would have preferred, but certainly spicier than the not spicy variety.

So, I'm all set for an afternoon of eGulleteering while snacking.

20191107_150406.thumb.jpg.d10954e2445c465bb904cedc6e1b01d3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I finally got to a store that sells Asian baked goods and I picked up one Portugese egg tart and one Hong Kong egg tart.  I cut each one in half and we shared them.  We both much preferred the Portugese one, we found the Hong Kong one too eggy.

20191110_000321.jpg

20191110_000137.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I finally got to a store that sells Asian baked goods and I picked up one Portugese egg tart and one Hong Kong egg tart.  I cut each one in half and we shared them.  We both much preferred the Portugese one, we found the Hong Kong one too eggy.

20191110_000321.jpg

20191110_000137.jpg

Which is which?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8B44FA27-EC5B-44A2-9653-9BB0ECEAA012.thumb.jpeg.20460450a690ce0df87d8719e71dab32.jpeg

A pear and a little Bleu de Bresse.  

• Like 2
  • Delicious 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

紫苏杨梅姜 (zǐ sū yáng méi jiāng) means "purple perilla, bayberry, ginger" and that's what we have here.

紫苏 (zǐ sū), known in Japanese as "shiso", is Perilla frutescens. 杨梅 (yáng méi) is Myrica rubra and (jiāng) well, you know what ginger is. The yangmei are slightly, but pleasantly tart, the ginger is spicy and the perilla adds a herbal note.

20191206_133731.thumb.jpg.960c69e208daefdf1d857f27945eed0f.jpg

20191206_133801.thumb.jpg.4f8bdb194ac6cc5978f8f6025a5481bd.jpg

yangmei.thumb.jpg.e70817d6887d4edbaf95e058a70d4124.jpg

Fresh Yangmei

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

I live in now  and have often lived in Korean heavy areas. Perilla or shiso is a constant. Love it. My local independent garden center sells the plants as well. Usually the green but often the purple.  Now have  craving...

Edited by heidih (log)

I always loved Loacker wafers. I appreciate them not being overly sweet.

This flavor is new to me, and it's good, though my favorites are still the coconut, and the chocolate flavors.

IMG_20191125_113018.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, shain said:

I always loved Loacker wafers. I appreciate them not being overly sweet.

This flavor is new to me, and it's good, though my favorites are still the coconut, and the chocolate flavors.

well that was a double flashback. As a very young child I thought the berries were named for me (Heidi)!!!  My favorite sweet was a multi layer of the Oblaten with a not too sweet chocolate thick custard.  Thanks for the memories :)

• Like 1

not sure snacking or lunch ...

butter crackers

Pub President cheddar cheese on half

Miracle Whip with a roll up of Black Forest ham and Finlandia lacey swiss on the other

just enough for right now.

the last of the French onion soup with a light sprinkle of gruyere and some croutons.  Then for dinner  buccatini  and red sauce and a small side salad.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

very busy at work today so all I did was snack on office junk (after having my healthy yogurt for breakfast), plenty of stuff due to hitting my snack drawer and the pre-holiday food showing up in the office. Philly soft pretzel. Buttery caramel corn with nuts. Dried fruit. Mini Reese's cup. Handful of pea/bean/grain crisps. So bad when I see it in writing, definitely stress eating. I better eat some veggies when I get home.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

A friend sent me a belated birthday present of homemade caramel popcorn (I swear I could smell the butter before I even opened the package) along with 2 dozen of her Oatmeal Raisin cookies. Yes, I like raisins, so there!xD

I am in seventh heaven munching on the popcorn.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

On the road in the Princessmobile, @Smithy's been trying her hand at some bacon-wrapped, grilled jalapeño poppers.

In that same discussion,  @FauxPas shared this link for a baked version and I gave it a try, using Trader Joe's Red Chili Brie instead of the cheese mixture in the recipe. 

IMG_1808.thumb.jpeg.173b688ddcdf2b11cdd7dccc24c52189.jpeg

The buttered panko topping nicely simulates a breaded and fried version.  Nice little happy hour treat.

I'll try the bacon-wrapped, grilled version next. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3