• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Bought some Hong Kong style egg tarts. 香港蛋撻.

They look delicious. Are they anything like Portuguese custard tarts (Pastéis de Nata)?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious. Are they anything like Portuguese custard tarts (Pastéis de Nata)?

They are very similar, but not the same.  I can get both, although I prefer the HK type. I see them in a similar way to thin and thick crust pizza!  HK is thinner and Portuguese thicker. Also, I'm told that the HK type use whole eggs, whereas the Portuguese use egg yolk only and are sweeter to my mind. Also the tops of Portuguese are usually slightly brûléed, whereas HK are never so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

They are very similar, but not the same

I could get behind these things and probably raise you six.😂

• Haha 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Bought some Hong Kong style egg tarts. 香港蛋撻.

573016706_20190914_1240531.thumb.jpg.1a7ed3ab7efaacd03a65a0af63ca7b7e.jpg

1903952075_20190914_1240001.thumb.jpg.88cf208bd673a74ba29138788a00d05d.jpg

Late in life, like about 2 months ago I had my first ever Portugese egg tart and wondered where it had been all my life.  Is this something like it?  I see them in some of the shops in our Chinatown.

Edited to add: never mind, I read your post first and then read the explanation you gave to Anna.  Please ignore my post.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

@liuzhou yes those tasty pretties are the top seller at out oldest Chinese bakery which is Hong Kong founded I think. Every  old guy outside playing cards and smoking (yes despite laws...) has one on a plate :)  Great & tempting images

Sausage balls - except super Southerned up with pimento cheese instead of just shredded cheese:

DSCN0059.JPG.5d0913ddfb3046998a6f2b2b5225e23c.JPG

Pretty dern good - much more tender and moist than the regular ones.  They are actually destined for the freezer to have when our company comes next week, but I'm doing a little taste testing right now.  😉

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Has anyone tried the horseradish dip powder that comes from Penzey's? I had some come as a bonus with an order. Had some "lightly salted" potato chips which had little flavor at all, and cried out for a dip. Didn't have anything, and remembered this was in the cupboard. It mixes with water, sour cream and mayo, and makes a quite creditable dip. I think it would make a decent horseradish sauce, mixed with just creme fraiche or sour cream. Wouldn't be a bad spread for a roast beef sandwich, either.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Anna N @ElsieD

Picked up both sorts of egg tarts this morning.

127338674_eggtarts.thumb.jpg.15644edc59d174727c438a603d514797.jpg

Top: Macao style; Bottom: Hong Kong style.

The Macao ones are closer to the Portuguese tarts (Pastéis de Nata).  Also, they use a flaky puff pastry shell whereas the HK syle use a shortcrust pastry.

1470988803_20190921_1204131.thumb.jpg.47db166066d3279bea5058bc47c0c712.jpg

Macao Egg Tart

2121239012_20190921_1204211.thumb.jpg.f827f44db86af25560062818f93ce2cd.jpg

Hong Kong Egg Tart

634391442_20190921_1204441.thumb.jpg.96135e0b82cac81f823850db7c549af6.jpg

Guess what I'll be snacking on this afternoon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Guess what I'll be snacking on this afternoon.

Aaarrrggghhh.  You are just cruel.

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Aaarrrggghhh.  You are just cruel.

Don't be cruel, @liuzhou!!!

I have to ask my friend, Sha (i.e. American named, Sandy) if there is someplace around here where I can get some.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

26 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Don't be cruel, @liuzhou!!!

I have to ask my friend, Sha (i.e. American named, Sandy) if there is someplace around here where I can get some.

Actually that was my sick mind attempt at humor playing off Ann's comment with an Elvis song.  I blame it on the amount of country music I listen to and Ken Burn's new documentary...

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

12 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Actually that was my sick mind attempt at humor playing off Ann's comment with an Elvis song.  I blame it on the amount of country music I listen to and Ken Burn's new documentary...

Off-topic, but I am loving that documentary.  It is so good that I watched 2 hours of it on MUTE in bed the other night because Mr. Kim was asleep and I was too lazy to go downstairs!  To bring this on topic, the only thing it is missing in the show is FOOD.  You know they had to be eating some good food traveling all around the country like they did in the early days. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Off-topic, but I am loving that documentary.  It is so good that I watched 2 hours of it on MUTE in bed the other night because Mr. Kim was asleep and I was too lazy to go downstairs!  To bring this on topic, the only thing it is missing in the show is FOOD.  You know they had to be eating some good food traveling all around the country like they did in the early days. 

Well, there was that bit about Felice and Boudleaux Bryant using Felice's Italian cooking to sell songs...

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Currently snacking on Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Pieces Limited Edition flavor Garlic & Parmesan. They're good though I think they should have more of the flavoring on the pieces. It needs to be a little stronger, IMHO.

But good enough for snacking.:B

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver