• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

On 2/26/2017 at 9:17 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Toasted ciabatta, rubbed with garlic, drizzled with olive oil and topped with Rancho Gordo Marcella beans tossed with pesto.  Thinly sliced pecorino Romano.

IMG_4475.thumb.jpg.f6b3f2da48fb521549ba795fa0a61707.jpg

Washed down with a glass of pinot gris.  Could be dinner....

Looks good

• Thanks 1

http://igodl.com/blog

Make it a great day, put a smile on your face

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled a small loaf of honey goat cheese out of the fridge.  I'm going to top some party pumpernickel with it and some sour cherry jam and the last of the yellow cherry tomato jam from down in south Jersey (Rea's Farm).

...and now the tiny crumbs fr0m the bottom of a bag of Utz's dill pickle potato chips with a spoon.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Currently snacking on Piller's Old Forest Salami Whips (click).

Last year, my sister-in-law bought them at Cost Plus World Market for Christmas stocking-stuffers. They have a nice BBQ-ey smokey taste to them. 

I've found them on Amazon but they're quite a bit more expensive there.:(

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, sartoric said:

A thick slice of whole wheat bread with lots of butter and rosella jam.2688F327-C52E-49FB-81D7-08CB86167F9A.thumb.jpeg.0ffabb7405602f3d18f83d946bdf6395.jpeg

Please tell more about rosella jam. My Google search simply says rosellas are a type of parrot!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about rosella jam. My Google search simply says rosellas are a type of parrot!

That doesn't sound right...I'm pretty sure I remember reading that parrots are blue when cooked. :P

• Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ha ha, I got a bit sick of DH making jokes about finding feathers in the jam.

@Smithy try searching under rozelle plants. They are a type of hibiscus, native to Africa but grow well here in frost free climates. 

We stopped last Saturday in a small town called Rathdowney, there’s a bakery which makes excellent pies and also a lone junk shop where I found a tripod for taking astral photos. Outside the shop a few people were clustered around a table with four pots of jam for sale....adding a pot of jam to my tripod purchase saved them from having to find change. The lady explained she had made the jam yesterday, went into great detail about peeling the rosellas (DH chuckling at the imagery) and said it was a good batch. She was right.

Rosella is also a popular brand of tomato sauce here, the bottle features the distinctive red and blue parrot. Again though, no actual avian rosellas are contained within.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Aha, @sartoric - that helps! In this country we get dried hibiscus. I learned it in Egypt as "karkadeh" but here it's known as hibiscus, or the Mexican equivalent, "jamaica". I never thought of trying to make a jam or jelly from it. The color is beautiful. I'm relieved that you aren't picking out feathers. :D

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently snacking on Roasted Garlic Triscuits:x

Now I am jonesing for a nice slab of cheese or sausage to go on top.

Next time, I guess...

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

14 hours ago, Toliver said:

Currently snacking on Roasted Garlic Triscuits:x

Now I am jonesing for a nice slab of cheese or sausage to go on top.

Next time, I guess...

Triscuits are a weakness of mine. I like the roasted garlic, but favor the black pepper variety even more. Usually have the original on hand, too.

Bought a box of the cinnamon variety out of morbid curiosity, and the box (minus those first two crackers) remains in my cupboard. I theorized that they might work with a suitable cheese melted onto them and a thin slice of pear (or something like that) but haven't yet bothered to make the experiment.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 6/20/2019 at 9:19 PM, liuzhou said:

Found these about an hour ago - deep in southern China!

crsps.thumb.jpg.15f3d611db809587e1e3a6a906f1efc4.jpg

Tried these. Not pleasant. First of all, they look strange. These are the "naturally flavored" variety on the left of the pic above.

crisps.thumb.jpg.f09167e882613be11e599118f7862d78.jpg

They have this peculiar surface, unlike anything resembling a fried slice of potato!

I check out the ingredients list:

Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Yeast Extract Powder, Buttermilk Powder, Sugar, "Natural Flavors", Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Rice Flour, Salt, Barley Malt Extract Powder, Cream Powder.

Presumably, all that muck is to give them the Guinness Flavor they claim to be selling. They taste nothing like Guinness. Or potatoes.

They also note that they are not suitable for vegans. They don't mention not being suitable for anyone with the slightest Irish ancestry or taste!

And they are 28.57% fat.

And cooked by Felix!

The chili variety have almost the same ingredients, but drop the buttermilk and cream to be vegan while adding Onion Powder, Paprika Powder, Herbs, Naturally Sourced Color: Paprika Extract, Chili Extract.

Jake cooked these ones.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto