• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

snickers.thumb.jpg.e16b6167600d595ee6ba76d6c5b91164.jpg

Chilli Snickers.

I bought these more out of curiosity than expectation. But they ain't too  bad.

Are these widely available? Anyone tried them?

I haven't seen them, but they sound like they could work!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 cocktail rye bread slices....miracle whip...1.5 slices of Shoprite executive turkey...3 small slices of fig and goat cheese log...3 dabs of Dickinson's cranberry relish( on sale for 1.98 with a 1.00 coupon each).

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

E65E7B6D-4583-4231-A5B7-E518AFD9084E.thumb.jpeg.e60b216664c748e91d2f690f7ebd0a1b.jpeg

3506458E-A343-4CD5-917F-9C772D7CC2BF.thumb.jpeg.b9cbf164d982fc7150ad95891560b182.jpeg

@Kerry Beal  brought this back from her trip to San Francisco. I believe it came from the Fancy Food Show.  I was absolutely sure that it was a fruitcake and was thoroughly looking forward to enjoying it bit by bit.  Nah.  Nothing like a fruitcake.  It was so soft it was almost impossible to pick up even a piece of it. While I enjoyed it,  it is definitely nothing I would ever seek out.  Obviously I jump to conclusions without any evidence to support my leaps.  I have quite a reputation for that.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

E65E7B6D-4583-4231-A5B7-E518AFD9084E.thumb.jpeg.e60b216664c748e91d2f690f7ebd0a1b.jpeg

3506458E-A343-4CD5-917F-9C772D7CC2BF.thumb.jpeg.b9cbf164d982fc7150ad95891560b182.jpeg

@Kerry Beal  brought this back from her trip to San Francisco. I believe it came from the Fancy Food Show.  I was absolutely sure that it was a fruitcake and was thoroughly looking forward to enjoying it bit by bit.  Nah.  Nothing like a fruitcake.  It was so soft it was almost impossible to pick up even a piece of it. While I enjoyed it,  it is definitely nothing I would ever seek out.  Obviously I jump to conclusions without any evidence to support my leaps.  I have quite a reputation for that.  

Well, at least you get some exercise with all that jumping.  I bought John one of those for a holiday present a few years ago when we were on a cruise.  He really liked the run soaked cake since he eats all of his food with a spoon.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

We tasted these for the first time in Key West.  We really liked them.  They come in all different flavors.  But we don't care for fruitcake much.  So this extremely tender cake was perfect for us.

• Like 2

DDC7C98A-630A-41A0-AC57-985CAC793959.thumb.jpeg.9ecd8d1e9a7736d47b9c3629538fed79.jpeg

It’s cold. It’s snowy. There are no suitable snacks in the house to feed my self-pity so I fried up a potato.

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing as elegant as chefmd is having, either in quality or presentation - but my, these are a wicked good discovery. Light, crisp, with a tart heat that puts taco-flavored chips to shame. I've never liked taco-flavored chips. These I can't leave alone. 

20190209_172148.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@rotuts, I think these would benefit from service in a chilled glass with some salty snacks. Actually, would be better home-made, but one makes do with limited resources during travel.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, BeeZee said:

Last full day in Austin, stopped by local supermarket for refreshment.

AF88A649-DA44-46E4-9539-BD85B98A1DF7.jpeg

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Don't come back home.   It is going to be a disaster for the next few days.   Stay there and drink and eat!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

One of the joys of eGulleting in this weather are my cozy fleece-lined moccasins.  This afternoon one foot was uncharacteristically uncomfortable.  This evening when I went to take my shower I found a cashew.

• Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One of the joys of eGulleting in this weather are my cozy fleece-lined moccasins.  This afternoon one foot was uncharacteristically uncomfortable.  This evening when I went to take my shower I found a cashew.

This topic is titled ”Snacking while eGulleting”, so I need to ask, ”What did you do with the found cashew?” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

This topic is titled ”Snacking while eGulleting”, so I need to ask, ”What did you do with the found cashew?” 

At the time I found the cashew I was not eGulleting.  But by coincidence the last time I was eating cashews at the computer (until, that is, just now) I was indeed eGulleting.  Nuts.com has $10 off at the moment and I am desperately trying to work down inventory.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At the time I found the cashew I was not eGulleting.  But by coincidence the last time I was eating cashews at the computer (until, that is, just now) I was indeed eGulleting.  Nuts.com has $10 off at the moment and I am desperately trying to work down inventory.

Just the facts ma’am, just the facts. What happened to the cashew that you found in your moccasin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Just the facts ma’am, just the facts. What happened to the cashew that you found in your moccasin?

You are cruel.  It's resting in the trash.

I know, as my father used to say:  "Willful waste makes woeful want."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1