• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Could very well be.

There are a few Central American places too.  If you head West just past Dufferin, in one strip plaza is a good Vietnamese place and an even better El Salvadorian places (their papusas and coleslaw are awesome!) - and if you like Baklava - an excellent pastry shop - very diverse plaza!  But then again, such is our wonderful GTA.

True that - just wish it was easier to get around in quickly like it used to be when I was a child. If I'm heading there prime time - I need to allow 2 hours to get anywhere.

• Sad 1

OK... anyone with a delicate stomach and sensibilities turn away.  A piece of rustic rye bread smeared with some blue cheese then heated for about 30 seconds in the microwave then topped with the last of the sour cherry jam.    

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, suzilightning said:

OK... anyone with a delicate stomach and sensibilities turn away.  A piece of rustic rye bread smeared with some blue cheese then heated for about 30 seconds in the microwave then topped with the last of the sour cherry jam.    

I don't see a doggoned thing wrong with that. Though I might have toasted the bread and foregone heating the cheese.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Snacking on some fresh salted-in-the-shell peanuts washed down with a Michelada!

Snacking on Planters dry roasted peanuts washed down with a mai tai.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

One of our neighbours makes a very tasty beef jerky. He's in his 80's, but still makes it regularly and gifts it to the people around him. I made him a quilt in return and still feel like i got the better deal! He just dropped this off today:

IMG_20181219_175107.thumb.jpg.13bbdfec514bcfebc6736281a38fcdc8.jpg

• Like 11

I may have to prompt my dad to make jerky again though his wife would freak at the bit of mess in the oven. As a classically trained sausage maker he was great with seasoning. I still remmember that smell as it was in the super low oven overnight. He is 96 so I guess time is "a-wasting". 

• Like 6

No photograph because there’s nothing left to photograph unless you consider the sheepish look on my face as photo worthy. I was slicing a baguette to freeze and decided that the ends would make great croutons to freeze for later use. I cut the bread into small cubes and slowly browned it in some oil with the only seasoning being salt and pepper. As a required quality control measure I tried one ..........  

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Currently snacking on Blue Diamond Wasabi & Soy Sauce almonds.

It's a test of my restraint. I could eat the entire can in one sitting...but won't. :P :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks to the most accomplished and unconscionable enabler, @Kerry Beal,  I am enjoying these. 

4FE10DA4-A1E6-4FF2-B0A7-B5A71A506A6D.thumb.jpeg.f962c02dd09bc843fc036bbf99d5b221.jpeg

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I was going to eat an apple but the two apples in my fruit bowl were looking a little long in the tooth when I inspected them. So

F32EFF7B-F3F7-467A-A266-DCA0B28A1E56.thumb.jpeg.2a762ed24efc4216fcbf935e581059bb.jpeg

81CD6EA3-7571-4FC7-9D83-8E3C7D52EE2F.thumb.jpeg.c8fc6b514fb9667929775d5012efcfb6.jpeg

A small apple crumble pulled together quickly with topping from my freezer.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Not being much of a fan of Cheezies I have no idea why I picked these up.  Now there are two things I’m not a fan of!  These are faintly reminiscent of cheese and strongly reminiscent of some chemical that I can’t identify. I will pass them along to my adult son if he wants them!

EDC3E8A7-F093-4CED-BF27-AD146763AE1A.thumb.jpeg.2e205c2fb0ae8a350f23424da515ddfa.jpeg

21CBC23E-9AD9-4637-8702-1A0C4835F926.thumb.jpeg.202de2cea06cc69dffe17c98e916bd45.jpeg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Is it tart? Method?  Remi nds me of buttermilk cheese Ethiopian woman does.

Well, it’s actually what  Russians call творог.  It is labeled Farmers cheese in Russian grocery stores in the US.  You boil milk, this time it was 1/2 lifer, add same amount of cold buttermilk as soon as milk comes to boil, drain it well.  It tastes like ricotta, may be a little more tart.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chefmd said:

Well, it’s actually what  Russians call творог.  It is labeled Farmers cheese in Russian grocery stores in the US.  You boil milk, this time it was 1/2 lifer, add same amount of cold buttermilk as soon as milk comes to boil, drain it well.  It tastes like ricotta, may be a little more tart.

Sounds like a plan - Thank you