• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

@gfweb, those are creative stuffings for the eggs. Are the yolks in there too, or did you use them for something else?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@gfweb, those are creative stuffings for the eggs. Are the yolks in there too, or did you use them for something else?

No yolk. I’ve found that the yolk so coats the tongue in a deviled egg that it becomes all you taste.  Perhaps I could’ve sprinkled yolk bits on top. ...

Henry got the yolks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

No yolk. I’ve found that the yolk so coats the tongue in a deviled egg that it becomes all you taste.  Perhaps I could’ve sprinkled yolk bits on top. ...

Henry got the yolks!

How interesting. Never a day goes by that I don’t learn something here. Devilled eggs without the yolks!   It actually makes sense to me.     

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

How interesting. Never a day goes by that I don’t learn something here. Devilled eggs without the yolks!   It actually makes sense to me.     

Heresy!  🙂

A few years ago I made lox deviled eggs,or tried-to. Mixture makes sense, right? Lox, yolks, onion.

Couldn't taste a bit of the lox or onion though. I took away the yolk and it tasted like it should've.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Henry got the yolks!

I retract my "like".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

57C55E0D-A98D-498A-9AB2-946A2DBF2049.thumb.jpeg.4c5ad3bbac19fea6e2692706df09aa2a.jpeg

Rehydrated and marinated dried shiitake mushrooms left over from a project. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

55614440-EEE9-4E1B-B271-706F5438D225.thumb.jpeg.d140065cbef0d30366365beda33c671f.jpeg

Now these are chicharron!  Serious porky goodness. @Kerry Beal dropped by with these. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

a small plate with two preparations of oven baked mashed potatoes. I was reading Tiffani  Thiessen's cookbook and she had a baked mashed potato dish with sour cream, butter and cream cheese.  No cream cheese for me - none in the house - but used Lactaid sour cream and some butter.  Added some onion jam to one dish; put some three cheese on the other and put into the oven for about 25 minutes.  Came out a little browned and crunchy around the edges -and top for the cheesy one.  The onion jam melted into the potatoes and I dolloped some Sun Gold tomato jam with ginger from Rea's Farm down in Cape May NJ on top of the cheesy one.

I think I need a bit more...….

Quality control, don't you know.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

57 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Don’t be surprised if you see me at your door ;)

You should’ve warned me! They’re all gone! I would’ve been happy to share but for something like this you’ve got to be faster than the wind.😂

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Ok Kerry, spill the beans...where did you get those!?

Rincon Paisa - Columbian store on Upper Wellington in Hamilton. Short drive from where I work on Friday mornings so a place I will often stop and get chicharron at lunch time. The lady behind the counter who serves them likes them as much as I do and is often found eating the crunchy skin bits when they fall out of the heated cabinet. 

• Like 4

I searched Amazon for some really good smoked salmon but what I found was exhorbitantly expensive with shipping.  I then  looked in my nearby grocery and found some Tony's wild sockeye (from Oregon) smoked salmon that is really, really good.

Crackers, a little thin sliced cheddar and the salmon...wonderful.  

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Rincon Paisa - Columbian store on Upper Wellington in Hamilton. Short drive from where I work on Friday mornings so a place I will often stop and get chicharron at lunch time. The lady behind the counter who serves them likes them as much as I do and is often found eating the crunchy skin bits when they fall out of the heated cabinet. 

Too funny.

Unfortunately, a bit far for me from Thornhill - regardless of how awesome those look.

There are a few places I need to check out around the Bathurst and Wilson area that I saw which specialized in Pork.  I believe they might have been Central American...

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I searched Amazon for some really good smoked salmon but what I found was exhorbitantly expensive with shipping.  I then  looked in my nearby grocery and found some Tony's wild sockeye (from Oregon) smoked salmon that is really, really good.

Crackers, a little thin sliced cheddar and the salmon...wonderful.  

For me, it's smoked salmon,  baguette, cream cheese, sweet onions and capers.

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Too funny.

Unfortunately, a bit far for me from Thornhill - regardless of how awesome those look.

There are a few places I need to check out around the Bathurst and Wilson area that I saw which specialized in Pork.  I believe they might have been Central American...

Perhaps Philippine?  Most of Wilson and Bathurst area is either orthodox Jew or Philippino these days I've noticed. 

On 12/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, Anna N said:

55614440-EEE9-4E1B-B271-706F5438D225.thumb.jpeg.d140065cbef0d30366365beda33c671f.jpeg

Now these are chicharron!  Serious porky goodness. @Kerry Beal dropped by with these. 

Down here, we'd call those pork rinds. Or, in the vernacular (for @weedy's benefit), "poke rines." And I can eat a bucket of them. In fact, my favorite barbecue joint serves them just that way, in a small tin bucket, as a complimentary appetizer. I regularly box up and bring home half my lunch or dinner because I've filled up on the pork rinds.

The little crispy bits to which @Kerry Beal referred upthread, we would call "cracklings." And they are the best add-in you ever put in cornbread.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps Philippine?  Most of Wilson and Bathurst area is either orthodox Jew or Philippino these days I've noticed. 

Could very well be.

There are a few Central American places too.  If you head West just past Dufferin, in one strip plaza is a good Vietnamese place and an even better El Salvadorian places (their papusas and coleslaw are awesome!) - and if you like Baklava - an excellent pastry shop - very diverse plaza!  But then again, such is our wonderful GTA.