• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

34 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Or in the air fryer?

@kayb 

Hmmm. I think one could. Esp if you prebrown the bread crumbs. 

I didn't deep fry though. Just a skim of oil in the Darto. Maybe a mm.  Turned frequently. 

• Like 1

@Kerry Beal  is attempting to get me hooked on yet another snack: 

F4DA5A3F-D222-48A8-BF7B-2267D55B5481.thumb.jpeg.289abe1ccc5822879a79480b7e5b6afe.jpeg

385101DC-E3A4-4795-A2B8-149339A0B48F.thumb.jpeg.1fe9166a2d62321cd4d036585b3526c9.jpeg

I think she is well on her way to being highly successful. My saving grace is that only rarely do I get to visit an Asian store where these might be available.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Anna N  I can't see the actual name. Some kind of squid?  

Just rice crackers. Addictive little bastards!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well we have synchronicityin spades,. Today on our dear Abra's blog as she we cruises  Asia : "Perhaps you are thinking that Salted Egg Fish Skin doesn’t sound appetizing, but you have no idea. Daryl warned me not to eat them, “unhealthy, and addictive” he said. Right on both counts. I’m just glad I only bought one bag, because they absolutely impossible to stop eating. Trust me on this one."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6720D426-C0BA-4D6D-BA8C-86801DC299BE.thumb.jpeg.14703d5c54284845ead96bd1eb15788e.jpeg

I was cleaning out my pantry this morning when I ran across two long-expired boxes of Jell-O.  I was about to toss them but it occurred to me that they could hardly expire and that I used to enjoy a bowl of Jell-O.   And so raspberry Jell-O with a little cream.   I have snacked on worse. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I get that Jello hankering sporadically every few years. It's often consumed with the leftover half-can of sweetened condensed milk from some recipe or other.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I tad off topic but kinda of funny.  I had a question from an Amazon buyer about a container of specialized salt.  He/she wanted to know how long an unopened jar of the salt would keep.  I just told them it would last as long as the earth did but had no way to prove it.

32 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I cannot imagine hankering for Jello.

It crops up with other forms of childhood nostalgia, like Cheez Whiz on celery and certain indefensibly bad pop songs.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I cannot imagine hankering for Jello.

It’s a dominant trait in the gene pool. My sister in England who is fast approaching 90 told me that she too enjoyed some Jello today. Hers was lemon flavoured.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It crops up with other forms of childhood nostalgia, like Cheez Whiz on celery and certain indefensibly bad pop songs.

maybe without the celery ?

I like jello when its made with just a little less water so it becomes kind of chewy. As a kid I liked squishing it thru my teeth, and red was the preferred flavor. Whatever red was supposed to be in the “fruit” spectrum. When I was in my early 20’s and living by myself, my parents came to my apartment when I had the flu to bring me prepared jello. Very nostalgic.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde