• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

On 7/7/2018 at 12:59 AM, liuzhou said:

Fresh 毛豆 (máo dòu) or edamame boiled in sea salted water for five minutes, drained, let cool and sprinkled with more sea salt (because they needed it).

edamame1.thumb.jpg.23a456c683724098a5ebcb4be940ecce.jpg

edamame.jpg.e3083cf9c919a31844c3dde980511caa.jpg

I could eat my weight in these things.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream, on sale.  Maybe it's just me but I think they've seriously watered down the formula since the olden days.  Haagen-Dazs used to be hard and creamy.  Now it's icy and melts fast.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Debating here or Dinner.....

Fritos scoops, chopped black olives, leftover taco sauce and green chili sauce with some grated aged Cabot cheese.

Listening to D& D on NJ 101.5; my Friday 6 pm indulgence.   Name 5 tonight....

next time spray the plain foil...or use non-stick

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, kayb said:

I could eat my weight in these things.

I grew up in the MS Delta. Abutting our acre  on one side was a field of soybeans (the other 3 were cotton). If we'd known how delicious these were then, we'd have been our stripping those plants on a daily basis! 

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

6 hours ago, caroled said:

I grew up in the MS Delta. Abutting our acre  on one side was a field of soybeans (the other 3 were cotton). If we'd known how delicious these were then, we'd have been our stripping those plants on a daily basis! 

It's my understanding the edible soybeans are a different variety. There are some Delta growers that grow them, though.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

It's my understanding the edible soybeans are a different variety. There are some Delta growers that grow them, though.

So what's been raised with the intent of becoming soybean oil and soy meal is not edible in it's green, undried state? I never knew.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

3 hours ago, caroled said:

So what's been raised with the intent of becoming soybean oil and soy meal is not edible in it's green, undried state? I never knew.

I suppose it's edible. I'm told the edible varieties are preferred.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

13 hours ago, caroled said:

6 hours ago, kayb said:

I've walked our soybeans many times and snacked.  They are good to me :) and they are made into oil etc.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2018 at 5:35 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream, on sale.  Maybe it's just me but I think they've seriously watered down the formula since the olden days.  Haagen-Dazs used to be hard and creamy.  Now it's icy and melts fast.

It seems many (though Ben & Jerry's has not totally fallen flat) companies have introduced more and more 'aeration' into their processing to increase volume of the product while keeping costs down.

My beloved Kawartha Dairy, while direct from the large tubs in their outlets is still fantastic, their retail packaged 1-2L have been hit by the same greed stick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

It seems many (though Ben & Jerry's has not totally fallen flat) companies have introduced more and more 'aeration' into their processing to increase volume of the product while keeping costs down.

My beloved Kawartha Dairy, while direct from the large tubs in their outlets is still fantastic, their retail packaged 1-2L have been hit by the same greed stick.

Sadly to my taste Ben & Jerry's is over sweetened and over flavored.  I confess I have not tried Ben & Jerry's in years.  Maybe they are due another chance.  Particularly since they once bought one of my company's cameras for research back in the last millennium.

If I could source good cream locally I'd be making my own ice cream.  The Shoprite ultra pasteurized cream I can obtain is stringy and gross.  Reminds me of blood clots.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sadly to my taste Ben & Jerry's is over sweetened and over flavored.  I confess I have not tried Ben & Jerry's in years.  Maybe they are due another chance.  Particularly since they once bought one of my company's cameras for research back in the last millennium.

If I could source good cream locally I'd be making my own ice cream.  The Shoprite ultra pasteurized cream I can obtain is stringy and gross.  Reminds me of blood clots.

Send 'em a letter. Tell them they need to do a special run of "Blood Clots" ice cream for Halloween, using Shoprite ultra pasteurized cream. :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Every couple of years I get a slight craving for these. I hear they are mostly a Canadian thing, and maybe Lay's make the best ones. I had a small bag today and definitely don't need to do it again for another year or two. 

IMG_20180723_124627.thumb.jpg.fa718170a9d963f5c4bcbdfb40d4109d.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Every couple of years I get a slight craving for these. I hear they are mostly a Canadian thing, and maybe Lay's make the best ones. I had a small bag today and definitely don't need to do it again for another year or two. 

We appear to be in the land of old Dutch as we see the truck going from place to place!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

prawns.thumb.jpg.86a45735e19d1915ea331030c3382c2a.jpg

Salt and (Sichuan) Pepper Prawns

As ever, I choose my nomenclature carefully. They are prawns, not shrimp. There is a difference. Whatever, they were alive when they hit the wok. Cooked shell on and with the tastiest part - the heads. You know it makes sense.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Are they crispy enough to crunch shell and all? My family looks a me askance when I eat the ends ( swimmerets ) whenever I happen to have fried shrimp if we are dining out. I only like them if they are really crispy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caroled said:

Are they crispy enough to crunch shell and all? My family looks a me askance when I eat the ends ( swimmerets ) whenever I happen to have fried shrimp if we are dining out. I only like them if they are really crispy.

Yes, you can eat shell and all, although I tend just to bite into the heads, then discard. But the body, I eat all. Most people here do the same.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, FauxPas said:

We took our (then 7 year old) daughter to a factory tour of Herr’s potato chips.  They had ketchup chips for sale and she wanted to try them.  She fell in love with them, sadly they are as scarce as hens teeth around where we lived, and live.  Friends of ours took their grandchildren to the same tour recently.  We asked them to get us a bag.....and when we saw her two weeks ago, as she was presented with a bag of Herr’s potato chips, well, let’s just say that her inner 7 year old came bounding out.....

• Like 8

You have to be careful buying eggs round here. These make look like regular eggs to you.

pidan1.thumb.jpg.ad1b637d17a385ea10e97e1b0d5f3c6c.jpg

but shell them to find these - 皮蛋 (pí dàn) aka century eggs, preserved eggs, hundred-year eggs, thousand-year eggs, thousand-year-old eggs, millennium eggs, skin eggs orblack eggs.

pidan2.thumb.jpg.65997b56977a0bbcf4671aef23b8327f.jpg

Here served with chilli sauce.

pidan3.thumb.jpg.c309b68395ff6750969f9dd263ff50b0.jpg

Delicious.

P.S. The easiest way to tell if they are pidan or fresh eggs  (assuming you can't read the Chinese on the signs) is that fresh eggs are sold by weight, whereas these are sold by the unit. ¥1.50/个 (¥1.50 each ) or 22 cents US; 17 pence UK.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

蛋 (pí dàn) aka century eggs, preserved eggs

For some reason I was thinking about these overnight. No idea what brought them to mind. Can you describe their taste and texture? I know that’s probably asking a lot.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

For some reason I was thinking about these overnight. No idea what brought them to mind. Can you describe their taste and texture? I know that’s probably asking a lot.

Not asking a lot. I've been asked a thousand times, so the answer is well rehearsed.

They simply taste like very eggy eggs. Supercharged eggs. The texture is slightly gelatinous like what I understand is known as "Jello" in your part of the planet. These were duck eggs, but they are also made from chicken and quail eggs.

I like them a lot. With chilli as here, or with a soy-vinegar dip or straight.

• Thanks 1