• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

98EA3F37-500F-4384-A608-450DD8657EB6.thumb.jpeg.9692407c14142f08bcdf30b20b11d0d6.jpeg

Duck breast fillet that “fell off” while I was preparing the breast. 

Things "fall off" all the time when I cook!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Can’t believe this happened again!

D18A2698-32B5-43A0-97A6-DBBB25A595F8.thumb.jpeg.8a430e5b56514d4d72dd093cc5ad598c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, Anna N said:

Can’t believe this happened again!

:PD18A2698-32B5-43A0-97A6-DBBB25A595F8.thumb.jpeg.8a430e5b56514d4d72dd093cc5ad598c.jpeg

I can!  I'm only surprised it doesn't happen to all of us more often.

• Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

caramel mascarpone pistachio gelato...oh my. I'm lucky my office is next to the kitchen, I keep going back to the freezer to scoop more into my coffee cup. I went to ShopRite by my office to poke around at lunch time (they have different stuff than my local store) and this was on sale for $2.88, a small manufacturer from Maine. If it wouldn't melt on my 45 minute drive home I might grab 6 more pints, it probably is being discontinued.

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Currently snacking on Cadbury Dark Chocolate Mini Eggs left over from Easter. They aren't my favorite. I prefer the original milk chocolate version. 

I did discover this year that they have a "white" Mini Egg flavor (white chocolate), as well, which were very good. I'll have to keep an eye out for them next year.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Toliver - the milk chocolate ones are our favorites, too.  I adore Cadbury milk, but think they just don't have a good dark.  

I'm currently snacking on Necco wafers.  We are starting to hoard them and Mary Janes, in case the company truly folds.  :(

The same company makes the Valentine's Hearts candy with words on them. It would be sad to see them become a thing of the past. :(

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, Toliver said:

The same company makes the Valentine's Hearts candy with words on them. It would be sad to see them become a thing of the past. :(

Yep.  But I think those, at least, would be picked up by another company.  Maybe not the Neccos and Mary Janes.  I just received a 5 lb. bag of Mary Janes in the mail, thanks to Mr. Kim :x

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Yep.  But I think those, at least, would be picked up by another company.  Maybe not the Neccos and Mary Janes.  I just received a 5 lb. bag of Mary Janes in the mail, thanks to Mr. Kim :x

I once had a fondness for Necco wafers.  Not sure I still do but it would be very sad to see them go.  What is the situation?  I don't even know who makes them.

My teeth are not amenable to Mary Janes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I once had a fondness for Necco wafers.  Not sure I still do but it would be very sad to see them go.  What is the situation?  I don't even know who makes them.

Necco always tasted chalky to me.  Mary Janes are the enemy of crowns and caps...sadly 

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Here is the story.  It is really sad - a very old candy company that makes lots of special candies.  It is the oldest continuously operating candy company in the United States - since 1901. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

As a kid,  Sky Bar was always my pick on the rare occasion we were allowed a candy bar - like 4 candy bars in one!

I fondly remember Sky Bars.  Unfortunately the last one I had -- I believe from the Vermont Country Store -- was a little un-fresh.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

0CDA9CD5-E522-4111-AA77-AF15BE77898B.thumb.jpeg.38e46ee55410727a3f03496c6b40ffb2.jpeg

Breton (TM) garlic-parmesan bites with @Jaymes‘ Basic Red Table Salsa.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Currently snacking on simple walnuts. 

I buy the big-ass Costco bag that costs an arm and a leg and keep them in my freezer so they don't spoil/go rancid before the contents all get consumed.

Right out of the bag they have an almost sweet quality to them.

• Like 4

Tim Oliver