• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

LOL Yeah, personally I don't get the appeal. Aye, well. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I bought a jar of Nutella for my nephew and niece when they visited. There is a lot of oil in it. There's nothing healthy about it, and the chocolate flavor doesn't come through over the oil to me. Don't get me wrong. I'm game for the trashiest food imaginable if it tastes really good to me. Nutella doesn't do it for me either. I hear the European formula is different, better and I'd love to give that at least a try sometime.

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I bought a jar of Nutella for my nephew and niece when they visited. There is a lot of oil in it. There's nothing healthy about it, and the chocolate flavor doesn't come through over the oil to me. Don't get me wrong. I'm game for the trashiest food imaginable if it tastes really good to me. Nutella doesn't do it for me either. I hear the European formula is different, better and I'd love to give that at least a try sometime.

The one time I tried Nutella it affected me the same way.  Kids love it but I don't.

Forget Nutella - If you can get your hands on some "Crema Spalmabile Alle Nocciole - Tonde E Gentili" - do so!  Italy's FAR superior offering to Nutella - produced by Baratti & Milano. 

I split a case of it with family members annually.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank goodness those aren't red anymore!  Everyone knew that you'd been gorging for days afterwards (what?  you mean not everyone gorges on pistachios?).

When I was little I used to like them, as it looked like you were wearing lipstick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank goodness those aren't red anymore!  Everyone knew that you'd been gorging for days afterwards (what?  you mean not everyone gorges on pistachios?).

Now made even easier by buying the already shelled ones!

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had, what an elderly relative would call, a craving flung on me for popcorn.   I knew my microwave had a setting

for it but had never used it.  I followed the instructions and placed the bag in the microwave and hit the button.  My

husband came into the kitchen to see what I was laughing at.  The display on the panel that should have read POPCORN

instead read PO   RN   Only the first two and last two letter were lit.  Maybe it was because I used the brand with extra butter?

It tasted just fine, X-rated or not.

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

I bought a tub of this, the sharp cheddar with horseradish.  OMG it's SO good!  The only crackers I had on hand were Ritz and some bagel chips.  Yesterday I went to the store specifically for another tub and for some Wheat Thins and Triscuits.  The stuff is amazing.

13437822?wid=1560&hei=1560&fmt=pjpeg

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

Currently snacking on Kroger brand Prime Rib & Horseradish potato chips. 

They're quite salty so I can't eat too many without feeling like I'm going to explode from the sodium.

They remind me of the classic Snyder's of Hanover's Steak and Onion potato chips (which, alas, are no more).

But that "Wow"-ness of the flavor lasts for only a short time before it wears off thanks to too much of a good thing.

At least the bag will last me a while! :B

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, lindag said:

I bought a tub of this, the sharp cheddar with horseradish.  OMG it's SO good!  The only crackers I had on hand were Ritz and some bagel chips.  Yesterday I went to the store specifically for another tub and for some Wheat Thins and Triscuits.  The stuff is amazing.

13437822?wid=1560&hei=1560&fmt=pjpeg

OHHHHHH!!!!  Saw that but my coupon was for Alouette  so picked up a container of crème de brie with herbs.   Ritz crackers with a handful of grapes and some Langer's cucumber lime with mint and plain seltzer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 weeks later...

I caught 1 (one) crawfish while walking on the beach in Chesapeake, MD.  Mini snack.  It also reminds me that we eat live creatures who deserve to be honored by our cooking and avoiding food waste.  It's not just "protein" on my plate.   

20180218_093627.thumb.jpg.72c431c6cf44d8079c18cee7f8463aa8.jpg

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.76a9c9e38f6f04252a8ce2deecbe4879.JPG

• Like 6

...and you can always point out that you ran the risk of the reverse happening, too. :P

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning