• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

I was at Harris Teeter again today and picked up the tub of Green Bean Chips. I was wrong about them being Harris Teeter branded and about the size of the tub. It tapers radically at the bottom, is shorter and slightly smaller in diameter than the tubs of cookies at T.J.'s. So it's not as good a bargain as I initially thought for only 5.25 oz./149g at $5.99. The brand is Creative Snacks Co., which gives an address only of Greensboro, NC. The good news is that these are definitely whole beans with only canola oil, dextrin and salt added. They are crunchy, salty and have texture, but are not hard like the ones I got from the Asian store. They also have whole okra pods given this same dehydration or freeze dry treatment, which are on my radar for next time.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:21 PM, caroled said:

TftC,  A friend gave me some once but they seemed to have a texture of an extruded chip. more like a cheese puff. Do yours break open like  peas would...this I would be very interested in trying.

Ha! You are right, I think! I tried some more today in better light than my computer monitor, and it seems they are indeed much more processed than I thought and cleverly extruded. I'm not the only one they fooled though. "The green bean/snap pea (snapea) snacks caught my eye since they are recognizable vegetables in snack form." Here's a link to reviews of Snapeas and T.J.'s brand of the green bean snacks where the quote comes from. The Snapeas are made from 70% peas, though. I would buy both of these products again, although they are not as healthy as they first appear. I like 'em, though.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

TftC.   I am with you now. A friend had the ones in a chip bag that look like sugar snap peas. but are an extruded crisp. I now see the ones you are referring to are actual vegetables. I have not had the green beans, but have had the okra. I really like this... It is like my favorite fried okra...cooked so crispy it is practically brown thru to the center. I am not averse to eating nearly burnt okra... mmmmm!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Ah, okra!  Amazon doesn't carry them but nuts.com does:

https://nuts.com/snacks/fruit-veggie-chips/okra.html

These will almost undoubtedly be on my next order...and as most people know I make a meal from nuts.com essentially every night.  At the moment I'm enjoying a bowl of their mixed nuts with my Mississippi punch.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Okay, with all this new input, I am definitely getting the okra tomorrow! They'll still be good if Irma tears us a new one and I have no power. Nothing on the list that requires refrigeration.

The okra chips at Harris Teeter still have the stems attached. (No fringes, though).

@caroled,

These whole veggie chips I'm getting are not fried, burnt or even brown. The green beans and okra are still very green. I'm guessing dehydrated or freeze dried. When frying, I like veggies crisp, but not burned. There is no way you could get the texture of these veggie chips from frying. I love grilled, roasted and fried veggies, but for a lazy, no-cook, albeit expensive snack, these things are the bomb.

Edit: I accidentally "mentioned @chefmd instead of caroled above in reference to the fried okra perspective on these okra snacks. I apologize chefmd. You were probably thinking,  "What is this crazy woman talking about?" xD

I have obtained and tried the okra chips, and like others said above, these are the scrumptious, and my favorite out of the green bean and Snapea competitors. The green beans do have a sweet note when processed this way that is almost off-putting. None of that sweetness comes through on the okra ones, and they do taste quite like crispy okra. I like these the best. The green bean snacks were sold out at Harris Teeter when I picked up the okra ones, so they appear to be not as popular, which leaves more for me. I hope they restock these things, because, as y'all said above, they are seriously good.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes
Epic fail on a "mention"! (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my latest order from Nuts.com.  Gotta love their cashews!  Also got peanuts in the shell, dark chocolate nonpareils, red locorice bites, chocolate covered espresso beans, hot chocolate mix.

Plent of egullet snacks.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

I just got my latest order from Nuts.com.  Gotta love their cashews!  Also got peanuts in the shell, dark chocolate nonpareils, red locorice bites, chocolate covered espresso beans, hot chocolate mix.

Plent of egullet snacks.

But did you get the okra?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But did you get the okra?

No.  I didn't see okra nor would I have bought it...I'm a Northerner, therefore I do not eat okra, I,ve been taught that it is slimy and icky.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lindag said:

No.  I didn't see okra nor would I have bought it...I'm a Northerner, therefore I do not eat okra, I,ve been taught that it is slimy and icky.

I too am a northerner.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155163-snacking-while-egulleting-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2119039

15 hours ago, lindag said:

That's 'cuz y'all don't know how to cook it. Nothing better than fried okra.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

That's 'cuz y'all don't know how to cook it. Nothing better than fried okra.

Right.  iI've never eaten it except in a particular canned veggy soup.  

Maybe I would like it but probably will never know, it's not really a product seen much in these parts.

IMG_1963.thumb.JPG.886fe4006b2f1413d008f36e4bd7f200.JPG

I had to skin some chicken thighs  so the skin went into a cast-iron frypan with a little salt and a bacon press. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Anna, you are making the tried and true Jewish delicacy schmaltz and gribenes! A little onion added to pan is classic. Of course when my Grandmother did it she didn't use a bacon press. 

I have never used a bacon press before either.  I just got mine!  But perhaps if I were your grandmother I might need to call it something else. :D

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, shain said:

Coconut flavored loacker quadratini - this stuff is dangerous - it takes some will power to seal the bag and get far away from it.  

Yes, I could see how that could happen. 

Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes, I could see how that could happen. 

Here.

I don't think they sell the fruit flavored ones in Israel (shame, since the raspberry-yogurt sounds good. Not sure about the lemon though). I will look for one of the coffee flavors. 

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

I don't think they sell the fruit flavored ones in Israel (shame, since the raspberry-yogurt sounds good. Not sure about the lemon though). I will look for one of the coffee flavors. 

And I shall avoid looking for them at all!   I don't need any encouragement  to acquire new addictions. xD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/24/2017 at 6:45 AM, Anna N said:

And I shall avoid looking for them at all!   I don't need any encouragement  to acquire new addictions. xD

I know where they sell them!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I know where they sell them!

And you, my friend, are the worst enabler of them all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Found the tiramisu flavored, had to buy them, haven't opened yet.

Meanwhile I'm snacking on some good imported emmentaler. Had some last night with thinly sliced apples and caraway pumpernickel (the vacuum packed type). A good emmentaler is somewhere on the top of my favorite cheeses list, and annoyingly hard to get in Israel (lots of really bad versions - local "Edam" and "Emmentaler" are the default "yellow cheese" here).

• Like 1

~ Shai N.