• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Wow! I didn't expect my Branston Pickle to attract so much attention.

Growing up in Britain, Branston pickle was a daily condiment. Particularly with cheese or ham. Essential in a 'ploughman's lunch'. That was the original recipe, then the only recipe.

A few days ago I came across it here in China and as I haven't had it in about 30 years, decided to buy some. I could only get the small chunks version. Would have preferred the original.

It tastes just as I remembered it. I don't think it is sweeter than the original and from their website and the ingredients list on the jar, it seems to be exactly the same apart from the cut of the vegetable component.

I don't know what American 'sweet pickle' is so I'll leave that aside.

One thing: it appears that the version sold in the USA uses high-fructose corn syrup in place of the sugar used elsewhere. Don't know why.

Scrubbed that. It appears to be false.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Growing up in Britain, Branston pickle was a daily condiment. Particularly with cheese or ham. Essential in a 'ploughman's lunch'. That was the original recipe, then the only recipe.

A few days ago I came across it here in China and as I haven't had it in about 30 years, decided to buy some. I could only get the small chunks version. Would have preferred the original.

It tastes just as I remembered it. I don't think it is sweeter than the original and from their website and the ingredients list on the jar, it seems to be exactly the same apart from the cut of the vegetable component.

One thing: it appears that the version sold in the USA uses high-fructose corn syrup inplace of the sugar used elsewhere. Don't know why.

liuzhou

liuzhou

One thing: it appears that the version sold in the USA uses high-fructose corn syrup inplace of the sugar used elsewhere. Don't know why.