• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

I admit I would rather snails find their purpose covered in garlic butter. I find them sort of gross when alive, but it is a sad environmental truth that the common variety of snail in our neck of the woods has all but disappeared in the last several years. It used to be you couldn't avoid crunching them after a night rain when you went out get the paper. Now I never see them. Sorry you got spanked. It was a science experiment, right?

Oh, and would you please explain "build a window?" I know snails need prep, but never heard that term.

It was Madeleine Kamman that got spanked. The window is the thin protective casing over their opening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operculum_(gastropod) Yes less snails down here = drought I think. We had huge apple snails invasive non-native in our local lake - those were cool. Lake was dredged and cleaned - thank you 4 your crud Shell.

heidih

heidih

26 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I admit I would rather snails find their purpose covered in garlic butter. I find them sort of gross when alive, but it is a sad environmental truth that the common variety of snail in our neck of the woods has all but disappeared in the last several years. It used to be you couldn't avoid crunching them after a night rain when you went out get the paper. Now I never see them. Sorry you got spanked. It was a science experiment, right?

Oh, and would you please explain "build a window?" I know snails need prep, but never heard that term.

It was Madeleine Kamman that got spanked. The window is the thin protective casing over their opening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operculum_(gastropod) Yes less snails down here = drought I think. We had huge apple snails invasive non-native in our local lake - those were cool. Lake qas dredged and cleaned - thank you 4 your crud Shell.

heidih

heidih

18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

It was Madeleine Kamman that got spanked. The window is the thin protective casing over their opening. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operculum_(gastropod) Yes less snails down here = drought I think. We had huge apple snails invasive non-native in our local lake - those were cool. Lake as dredged and cleaned - thank you or your crud Shell.