• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Caint spel

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Thanks for the Crepes, I understand the challenge, for sure.  I usually cook a whole pound of beans at a time, sometimes half a pound.  I scoop some out to eat within a few days or include in other recipes. Some usually goes into a bean dip/hummus-type thing which gets portioned into refrig or freezer containers.  The remainder gets frozen in zip-lock bags.  I like to have portions of white, black, brown/other and garbanzo beans at the ready so I keep an eye on what's in the freezer in order to decide what to cook up next. I don't have a lot of freezer space but I don't eat much meat either so I prefer this route over using canned beans.

*Sigh* I thought there was a magic solution. Both my freezers are above fridge frostless models, so go through that heat up, cool down cycle which is so destructive to the quality of food. To add insult to injury, one of them even accumulates, not frost, but ice. Leave an ice tray a week, and it has noticeably sublimated. Leave it more and it can disappear. I am also overly sensitive to "freezer taste" and repetition. I'll figure this thing out eventually though. Thanks for the information. :)

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Thanks for the Crepes, I understand the challenge, for sure.  I usually cook a whole pound of beans at a time, sometimes half a pound.  I scoop some out to eat within a few days or include in other recipes. Some usually goes into a bean dip/hummus-type thing which gets portioned into refrig or freezer containers.  The remainder gets frozen in zip-lock bags.  I like to have portions of white, black, brown/other and garbanzo beans at the ready so I keep an eye on what's in the freezer in order to decide what to cook up next. I don't have a lot of freezer space but I don't eat much meat either so I prefer this route over using canned beans.

*Sigh* I thought there was a magic solution. Both my freezers are above fridge frostless models, so go through that heat up, cool down cycle which is so destructive to the quality of food. To add insult to injury, one of them even accumulates, not frost, but ice. Leave an ice tray a week, and it has noticeably subliminated. Leave it more and it can disappear. I am also overly sensitive to "freezer taste" and repetition. I'll figure this thing out eventually though. Thanks for the information. :)