• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chipotle Mexican Grill

vengroff

I was in Old Town recently and I stumbled upon a Chipotle location. I'd never heard of the place before, but it seemed to be doing a brisk business, so I gave it a try. Judging from the decor, I would have guessed it was a small regional chain, maybe 10 stores or so. It's corporate, but in a funky Whole Foods kind of way, and even serves beer. I have since learned that Chipotle has 200 stores around the country and is majority owned by McDonalds. I might not have gone in if I had known that, but luckily, I didn't and tried it.

The menu at Chipotle is very simple. It's basically all burritos, but there is also a taco option and no-tortilla just-fillings-loaded-into-a-bowl approach. You choose beef, chicken, or as I did, Niman ranch pork carnitas. It's rolled up in a big tortilla with rice, beans, salsa, sour cream, and/or lettuce. I was very happy to see that they offered a choice of pintos in addition to the black beans that everyone but me seemed to be ordering. I'm a pinto man through and through. I just can't understand how or why black beans found their way into the Tex-Mex lexicon--maybe it was an Austin hippie thing. These pintos weren't refried mush either; they were the genuine cooked-once with smoky bacon, boracho-style article. The pork itself was tender, juicy and flavorful--not like the "lean as a chicken breast" garbage that has started to flood the market. I topped it off with a nice medium-hot (advertised as hot) tomatillo salsa. I was also impressed with the assembly of the burrito. It was properly sealed and rolled so that I could eat the entire thing without spilling a drop. My only complaint is that the default amount of rice seems like overkill. After seeing several other burritos assembled, I asked for a half-portion of rice. It ended up being just the right amount.

There are some better burritos out there, but the majority, especially at this price point, are in a league below what Chipotle is offering. Don't even get me started about the Sino-Tex-Mex takeouts that have spread like a plague across Manhattan with their scorched sawdust plus chili powder equals chorizo formula.

I'd generally rather not support McDonalds, but in this case, at least I'm getting a decent quick meal, and hopefully pointing them in the right direction.

So, what do ya'll think? Anyplace else I should try in the DC area when I need a burrito fix?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I'd generally rather not support McDonalds, but in this case, at least I'm getting a decent quick meal, and hopefully pointing them in the right direction.

So, what do ya'll think?  Anyplace else I should try in the DC area when I need a burrito fix?

I too was very surprised to learn that Chipotle was a MCDonalds-owned company. I don't think that McD's started the chain - just bought them when they started to become profitable. It isn't bad for fast food; we often stop there when we're out and we need to feed our daughter ASAP. I always order mine with no rice, but I was impressed that the cilantro-lime rice was made with actual cilantro and lime juice. The pork is the best option, but the beef isn't bad either, and I thought the salsa and guacamole were pretty good for fast food.

I used to go to a place called the Burro, but I think they are now defunct. Burrito Brothers is pretty good and offers all the standard fast-food burrito options. They have a location just north of Dupont Circle and a few others in the Wash DC area.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Has anyone eaten at a chain called Baja Fresh? Haven't seen one in these parts, but child in California says the food there is really not bad. Kind of sounds like Chipotles

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Perhaps this should be moved to a more general part of the board since it is a national chain.

I have eaten at one in Sacramento and enjoyed the burrito quite a bit. The worker who made my burrito was very enthusiastic about one of the meat selections. I guess that the chain allows each place to offer special dishes on the menu. Pretty cool.

Here in Washington, we have a similar place called Qdoba, I dont know how large this chain is though. Pretty tasty stuff, but I think Chipotle is a shade better.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Chipotle is much better than one would expect. I dropped in a SF location a while back. At first I was hesitant when I saw the "cilantro-lime" rice, but they made a pretty good burrito. (Is there any excuse for a bad burrito? It's not that difficult.) Not as good to me as the authentic Mexican joint, which is also closer to my office and doesn't have a long line out the door.

I second the recommendation for Burrito Brothers near Dupont. That was the first place I started eating "authentic" burritos (meaning -- not Chi Chi's). It was around 1991, and I remember thinking -- damn, these things are big, cheap, delicious and easy to make. I wonder why there aren't more places selling them?

I've been to Baja Fresh because it's one of the few options near my office on Saturday. (That and the horrible fake bagel place who's name escapes me.) It's not as good as any of the Mexican places. First, they seem to put sauteed peppers/onion/mushrooms in the burritos, which I just don't like. The meat isn't spicy enough either. Also, there's something too Californian clean about the place.

And FoodTV (I think) did a short piece on Chipotle recently. The usual "I wanted to open a burrito place that was completely authentic but also offered everything that no burrito place would offer."

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Chipotle was born in Denver in -- I think -- the early 90's and had about ten shops and a sometimes rabid following when McDonalds, looking for way to improve an increasingly grim revenue picture picked them up in '98 or '99.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Vengroff: I can't speak to their burritos, but there's a place on Mt. Vernon Avenue in Alexandria called Taqueria Poblano that has the best crunchy tacos I've ever eaten (bear in mind, though, that I'm a born and bred East Coaster -- I'm told this puts me at a disatvantage in proper taco-appreciation).

TP is not tex-mex, really, more Mexican by way of California, and it's a notch or three above fast food, but, whatever else you can say about them, their crispy pork tacos make me a very, very happy monkey and I've had very little else there that didn't taste great.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I've been to Baja Fresh because it's one of the few options near my office on Saturday.  (That and the horrible fake bagel place who's name escapes me.)  It's not as good as any of the Mexican places.  First, they seem to put sauteed peppers/onion/mushrooms in the burritos, which I just don't like.  The meat isn't spicy enough either.  Also, there's something too Californian clean about the place.

Comparable to but better than Baja Fresh is Poquito Mas. Unfortunately, there aren't that many of them.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I just had a Chipotle carnitas burrito for lunch. It was great. Contrary to my prior recollection, it is a bare-boned menu -- Burrito (meat, rice, beans, salsa, extras); Fajita Burriot (substitute sauteed peppers and onions for the rice and beans), Something-I-Forgot, and a Buribol (tortilla less burrito in a bowl). The meat choices were carnitas, spiced ground beef, marinted steak, chicken (I can't remember if there was a fish/shrimp option). There are four salsa choices (maybe five -- can you tell I was checking the cute blonde in the back of the line), two mild, one medium, one hot. And extras include sour cream, guac, shredded lettuce, and cheese.

Watching the building process, I noted that the rice was a little clumpier than my other place, and the beans looked a little overdone (the "water" they were in was much thicker). The rice/beans/meat portions may have been a little smaller, but not enough to complain about. I had the hot sauce (tomatilla/chilli), a dab of sour cream, lettuce and guac. They're guac was definitely better than what I was used to -- it looked fresh, thick and creamy as opposed to the soupy stuff most burrito places use.

At first bite I noticed two distinct differences: First, the hot sauce was actually hot. Not burning, sweating runny nose hot by any means, but there was an actual burn as opposed to just some chilli flavor. Second, and more important, was the smoked flavor, that I assume came from the chipotle. I've never noticed it in a burrito before, and it was very good. Initially, I worried that it would overwhelm all the other flavors in the wrap, but not at all. The pork was terrific, the guac as good as I expected, and the cilantro in the rice seemed to add something good to the mix as well. (After mushing everything together, there was no noticeable difference in the quality of the rice or beans.)

The only downside was that the tortilla wasn't steamed enough and had dried out by the end.

I'm not sure this is worth the extra two blocks from my usual burrito joint, but it was worth an excuse not to eat another salad for lunch.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Re: burrito places in DC.

The name escapes me, but it is on an alleyway off 19th (or is it 20th) between M and N. I used to go there when I worked on M. (I lived in Du Pont and now live in Chicago)

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I found the food too heavy for lunch--assuming I wanted to work competently and not pass out in my cubicle.

Oh, yes. The Well-Dressed Burrito. How could I have forgotten about them? They're run by the same good people who run CF Folks (and the kitchen for Well-Dressed Burrito also functions as the catering kitchen for CF Folks). If I ordered from Well-Dressed I'd have to cut whatever I ordered in half and put it away so I wouldn't eat it until the next day...the food was so filling yet addictive that I'd eat it all if I sat down with it. I really liked their pinto beans, which are silky-rich on the tongue yet are not completely mushed...there's some whole beans in there with them. Good quesadillas too. Thanks for mentioning them. They are indeed in the alley running between 19th and 20th Streets, NW, just north of M Street.

has anyone mentioned the free range pork from Niman Ranch Chipotle uses?  I found mine a bit dry tho.  The shredded beef I had the previous time was better.

mike

The pork I had was very tender and juicy. It had just been brought out from the back kitchen. I can imagine that if it sat out for a while on the steam table during a not-so-busy time of day, it might dry out.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

My brother lives in Colorado where both Qdoba and Chipotle (I like that website!) are very well-established. When he used to live in Golden, there was a fantastic little mom and pop breakfast burrito shop about five minutes from his house. Then he moved to Boulder and wound up trying these chain places. He tells me they're decent for fast food, but I believe he prefers Chipotle to Qdoba. Of course, he still misses the place in Golden.

I won't be able to formulate an opinion for myself any time soon. There IS a Qdoba in Hoboken, NJ... but the nearest Chipotle would be in the D.C. area.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd revive this thread to pay tribute to my favorite cheap and easy meal. Though I'm sure it will just dissolve into sniping about McDonald's or similar based on the kind of posts we've had this week!

My favorite Chipotle burrito

Chicken

Light on the rice

Extra black beans

Hot salsa, but not too much because it destroys my stomach

Cheese

Sour cream

NO LETTUCE EVER (I hate lettuce :angry: )

All washed down in two sittings with a Sprite (or a 50/50 if I have some on-hand).

<burp>

I prefer the soft tacos - 1 each of chicken, barbacoa and carnitas - with sour cream and a little pico de gallo and corn "salsa". And I like the lettuce as a filler. I also add some Cholula hot sauce when I get them home.

Those burritos are just too big to manage - they fall apart too easily.

Bill Russell

I go with:

A steak bowl

No rice

Black beans

Peppers and onions

Pico de gallo

Hot salsa

Sometimes cheese

Lettuce.

If I'm really hungry, I'll get the above but in a tortilla.

In any case, doused with green tabasco.

Edit: stupid prepositions.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Four posts, four fans of Chipotle and no sniping. I'll be the fifth to toe the emerging party line--we hit the Rosslyn and Tysons Mall locations when it's convenient. I think that might be because Chipotle does a pretty good job--not a great job--but a good job: have it your way, don't over-promise, fairly-priced, consistent, efficient, sanitary, convenient. Fresh lemons and unsweetened iced tea year-round. It's a terribly well thought out concept and stylishly conceived. We need more efforts like it that at least meet its level of achievement if not surpass it.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I agree that the soft tacos at Chipotle rock - I'm not a big fan of over-stuffed rice burritos so I haven't tried those. I love the carnitas and always get a side of guac.

Good, fairly fresh ingredients and a limited menu seem to be a winning combo at Chipotle. Steve captured it exactly. Service is really good too - the people there have always been nice and more on track than other fast food spots.

Not enough edge to this thread.

Ten years ago, I used to mail order my coffee beans from Starbucks in Seattle, and they were pretty darned good, too.

What will happen when there's a Chipotle on every streetcorner? Dilution of quality? Inconsistency? Dumbed-down fare?

And yet for the time being, they blow the doors off of Baja Fresh.

Worth noting the long-term trends for an exercise in sociology?

Rocks.