• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce

ElainaA

I posted this recipe last year (or the year before?) in the dinner thread. I have been asked to re-post it here so it is easier to find. I'm glad so many people like it.

1/2 cup olive oil, divided            1 large red or yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced            18 basil leaves, sliced plus 1/4 c. basil, sliced

1/8 t. red pepper flakes            50 (or more) cherry tomatoes

1 t. salt                    2 t. sugar

Preheat oven to 250.

Heat 1/4 c.olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 18 basil leaves and red pepper flakes.

Place cherry tomatoes in roasting pan large enough to hold tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar and 1 t. salt. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with remaining  1/4 c. olive oil. Roast tomatoes in preheated oven 3 hours, stirring once. Serve toped with 1/4 cup basil leaves.

(This recipe is wonderful but, I think, overly precise. Exactly 18 basil leaves? 50 tomatoes? I use what amount looks good. I also like it with a mix of different colored tomatoes.)

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@ElainaA  at the risk of sounding like a total idiot, what do you use this tomato sauce for?  I like all the components and would think it would be a tasty sauce when local cherry tomatoes show up.  Would you just use it wherever a tomato sauce is called for?

@ElsieD  I use it over pasta. I could imagine other uses. Maybe with grilled chicken? Or fish? 

• Like 3

I use it over pasta, with and without a protein such as chicken or lamb. I also use it to fill out/spice up pilafs with said proteins. I think I've even used it with chicken and no rice or pasta.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I adopted this recipe last year and used it with Romas for a big batch of tomato sauce that I canned. I've been using it all winter and spring in assorted applications -- pasta sauce, pizza sauce, in soups and stews, pureed as a sub for tomato sauce in any recipe. I love it and will assuredly make more this year. I may perhaps have gotten overenthusiastic in my measuring of garlic in it, but then again, I have had no vampire visitations....

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I was looking through old posts to see how else I've used this sauce - it's great on polenta!  

I also found some photos I'd posted earlier and thought I'd repeat them here.

Everything ready to go into the oven:

post-55674-0-64486100-1440882332_thumb.jpg

All roasted:

post-55674-0-11509700-1440882342_thumb.jpg

On pasta with zucchini:

post-55674-0-91398400-1441141387_thumb.jpg

On pasta with broccoli, kalamata olives and sous vide chicken breast:

IMG_2627.thumb.jpg.9b78f829980eca49b3cb465e6e66d2c1.jpg

On toasted bread with white beans

IMG_3623.thumb.jpg.f0c4d528426415617c477709feb2b9dd.jpg

On polenta:

IMG_3633.thumb.jpg.9c6d29e9b0d7c1fa9a0817bec9c77df8.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to remove a wrong photo (log)
  • Like 13

All these comments are making me anxious for my cherry tomatoes to be ripe! (Right now I barely have a few blossoms much less tomatoes.)

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ElainaA said:

All these comments are making me anxious for my cherry tomatoes to be ripe! (Right now I barely have a few blossoms much less tomatoes.)

I can't wait for ripe tomatoes either.  I am SO making this.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited by ElsieD
Added the last line. (log)
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Do you have local tomatoes already? 

In my back yard! Not getting a lot yet, but the cherries are always the first to ripen.

We've had local tomatoes at the Farmers Market since early June. They were early this year.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

@kayb Sometimes I am so jealous of all of you in warmer growing zones!

Edited by ElainaA (log)

I've made this with all yellow cherry tomatoes and my boyfriend gardener loved it so much he planted 25 yellow cherry tomato plants this year.  Just served it over pasta with Parmesan.  It was incredibly delicious.  Over polenta is a great idea.

Edited by Jacksoup
Add (log)
  • Like 2

I went back and found my pictures, too :) .  I remember that I didn't measure precisely but it turned out soooo gooooooood.

Before baking

P8120415.JPG.e56f28503e77fd75552284724c179357.JPG

After

P8120436.JPG.3c3e3c1701143036b72b66a0cc9f4ea1.JPG

You can't tell from the picture, but this was a HUGE pot.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, ElainaA said:

@kayb Sometimes I am so jealous of all of you in warmer growing zones!

I love it from March/April until about early July. July and August are not quite so much fun. Fall is gorgeous, and winter is mild, which is key for me, as I do NOT do cold very well. We will have one decent snow every two or three years, and it only stays on the ground a couple of days before melting; maybe 10 days all told below freezing all winter, and those not all in a clump. There are, of course, exceptions to that average.

In the southern part of Arkansas, all my herbs except for basil, tarragon and marjoram would overwinter. There were growers who used greenhouses who had salad greens (and provided them to all the good restaurants in the Little Rock area) all winter, and used only minimal heat during January and February. And the Amish growers who started their tomatoes in "hoop houses" (big plastic Quonset hut looking creatures) would have ripe tomatoes starting in February. Just moving half the depth of the state north made a big difference; I hated to leave those tomatoes.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 6/26/2017 at 0:43 PM, ElainaA said:

I posted this recipe last year (or the year before?) in the dinner thread. I have been asked to re-post it here so it is easier to find. I'm glad so many people like it.

1/2 cup olive oil, divided            1 large red or yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced            18 basil leaves plus 1/4 c. basil, sliced

1/8 t. red pepper flakes            50 (or more) cherry tomatoes

1 t. salt                    2 t. sugar

Preheat oven to 250.

Heat 1/4 c.olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 18 basil leaves and red pepper flakes.

Place cherry tomatoes in roasting pan large enough to hold tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar and 1 t. salt. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with remaining  1/4 c. olive oil. Roast tomatoes in preheated oven 3 hours, stirring once. 

(This recipe is wonderful but, I think, overly precise. Exactly 18 basil leaves? 50 tomatoes? I use what amount looks good. I also like it with a mix of different colored tomatoes.)  

I don't have a garden so I'm just using the grocery store product but they'll be good anyway.

I have this in my CSO right now.  I got 30 ozs. ( well over 50, closer to 75)  of the tomatoes into the CSO pan.  They've been roasting for about an hour so far and the aroma is intoxicating!  

I'll use some of the sauce over meatballs with thin spaghetti for dinner and I'll freeze the rest for another day.

i don't have garden tomatoes, just the ones from the grocery but I'm sure they'll be good anyway.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

Summer's second batch of it is cooling on the stove as I type. A week's worth of Romas and cherries nets me about two or three pints, which get frozen.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, lindag said:

I have this in my CSO right now.  I got 30 ozs. ( well over 50, closer to 75)  of the tomatoes into the CSO pan.  They've been roasting for about an hour so far and the aroma is intoxicating!  

I'll use some of the sauce over meatballs with thin spaghetti for dinner and I'll freeze the rest for another day.

i don't have garden tomatoes, just the ones from the grocery but I'm sure they'll be good anyway.

I made up my dinner with the above mentioned sauce , meatballs and angel hair pasta.

I used about one third of the sauce and the total made up more than I needed for dinner.

I saved the rest in the fridge for the next day.  Well!!!  It was even more flavorful the next night! 

What a great dish.  I'm glad to have the rest in the freezer for another day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The aroma is, indeed, delightful. Doesn't hold a candle to the taste, though.

FYI: You can whiz it up in the blender and it makes FINE pizza sauce.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I was hoping to find tomatoes at a reasonable price at the supermarket but unless I was prepared to buy a whole bushel  they remained an expensive proposition.  Still hoping because I would love to make some more of that sauce. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog