• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I posted this recipe last year (or the year before?) in the dinner thread. I have been asked to re-post it here so it is easier to find. I'm glad so many people like it.

Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce

1/2 cup olive oil, divided            1 large red or yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced            18 basil leaves, sliced plus 1/4 c. basil, sliced

1/8 t. red pepper flakes            50 (or more) cherry tomatoes

1 t. salt                    2 t. sugar

Preheat oven to 250.

Heat 1/4 c.olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 18 basil leaves and red pepper flakes.

Place cherry tomatoes in roasting pan large enough to hold tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar and 1 t. salt. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with remaining  1/4 c. olive oil. Roast tomatoes in preheated oven 3 hours, stirring once. Serve toped with 1/4 cup basil leaves.

(This recipe is wonderful but, I think, overly precise. Exactly 18 basil leaves? 50 tomatoes? I use what amount looks good. I also like it with a mix of different colored tomatoes.)

ElainaA

ElainaA

I posted this recipe last year (or the year before?) in the dinner thread. I have been asked to re-post it here so it is easier to find. I'm glad so many people like it.

Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce

1/2 cup olive oil, divided            1 large red or yellow onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced            18 basil leaves plus 1/4 c. basil, sliced

1/8 t. red pepper flakes            50 (or more) cherry tomatoes

1 t. salt                    2 t. sugar

Preheat oven to 250.

Heat 1/4 c.olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 18 basil leaves and red pepper flakes.

Place cherry tomatoes in roasting pan large enough to hold tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar and 1 t. salt. Spoon onion mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with remaining  1/4 c. olive oil. Roast tomatoes in preheated oven 3 hours, stirring once. 

(This recipe is wonderful but, I think, overly precise. Exactly 18 basil leaves? 50 tomatoes? I use what amount looks good. I also like it with a mix of different colored tomatoes.)