• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

Oh boy, do I have experience there.

I have had just about every kind of sink there is except for the farm style (which doesn't suit me).

The only sink I would recommend for me or for anyone else these days is the very, very best stainless type.  There are quite a few different qualities of stainless and the best (most expensive) ones are thicker and have a finish that is much less prone to scratching and scuffing.

I have gone thru Silgranite sinks, both black and white...won't do that again; they stain and scuff and never look good again.  Also, the enameled cast iron does the same, it just lasts a little longer before it gets looking bad.  So, that's what I'd recommend.  Believe me, it's worth it to spend a bit more on something that gets so much use.  Also, get an under-mount style, easier to contain spills and clean up.

Oh, and I forgot about the faucet.  I like Blanco, I'm on my third one now (different house), this is similar to the one I have:

Blanco 441181

lindag

lindag

I have had just about every kind of sink there is except for the farm style (which doesn't suit me).

The only sink I would recommend for me or for anyone else these days is the very, very best stainless type.  There are quite a few different qualities of stainless and the best (most expensive) ones are thicker and have a finish that is much less prone to scratching and scuffing.

I have gone thru Silgranite sinks, both black and white...won't do that again; they stain and scuff and never look good again.  Also, the enameled cast iron does the same, it just lasts a little longer before it gets looking bad.  So, that's what I'd recommend.  Believe me, it's worth it to spend a bit more on something that gets so much use.

Oh, and I forgot about the faucet.  I like Blanco, I'm on my third one now (different house), this is similar to the one I have:

Blanco 441181

lindag

lindag

I have gone thru Silgranite sinks, both black and white...won't do that again; they stain and scuff and never look good again.  Also, the enameled cast iron does the same, it just lasts a little longer before it gets looking bad.  So, that's what I'd recommend.  Believe me, it's worth it to spend a bit more on something that gets so much use.