• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

Since I am the eternal optimist (and I know you are too, @Anna N!), just think of how much pepper you'll have at the end of your stay.

And get the heck outta there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It's appalling as @gfweb says.  Almost unbelievable.  

I'm delighted to report that I have spent very little time over the decades as an hospital in-patient.  But the time which I have never forgotten was in the Montreal Jewish General when our third was born.  The food was delicious and nutritious and it's where I was first introduced to that wonder of wonders, the cheese bagel with sour cream and jam.  No, I don't mean a 'cheese bagel'...it was a soft bagel, filled with cream cheese.  Rather like a cheese blintz or blini.  

Sorry for your miserable meals, Anna, and along with everyone else, wish you all the best and out of there in jig time.

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The cavalry is coming! The cavalry is coming! @Kerry Beal  to the rescue. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, curls said:

Does the hospital have a functioning kitchen? 

Minmal.  There is something called, surely with an ironic sense of humour, Room Service.   I did try it once when I was here. The food was not one jot better than what they bring up from their assembly line, the choices were very limited and it cost me every time I ordered it.  They do not charge you for the food,  they charge you for the phone call. Go figure! 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

402D35CF-A4BA-47FB-9BB1-6DB7D124B7C2.thumb.jpeg.276ab3e40653a80ac4689e6d4cf82a3e.jpeg

2B04E67B-23AC-4110-B5CC-D17B80093DE8.thumb.jpeg.ba128a2e7b7166aba3ecad7044240b2b.jpeg

Once again it looks and smells as if no broccoli was harmed in the making of this broccoli soup!

BC001D9D-CC4C-4965-BCDF-169828D37864.thumb.jpeg.79a0e93ec9a6323d47918a6ab9bab158.jpeg

C2A07D2E-28CE-4D41-95A0-822DD64AECF4.thumb.jpeg.cbf4373a71ee1279d5af956adbef8a3a.jpeg

Look me hearties – – fresh fruit.

What do you think? Should I eat this or should I hold out for Vietnamese beef noodle soup that is on its way?

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Hippocratic oath excerpt:    "Practice two things in your dealings with disease: either help or do not harm the patient"

Maybe show this to the practitioners in that Hospital?

I see no evidence of that oath on the trays of your meal table.   Ick, ick, double ick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Since I am the eternal optimist (and I know you are too, @Anna N!), just think of how much pepper you'll have at the end of your stay.

And get the heck outta there!

I have some terrible news for you. I knocked my pepper collection on the floor and the cleaner cleaned it up!

Edited by Anna N
Is there an echo in here? (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

I knocked my pepper collection on the floor and the cleaner cleaned it up

😵

Also, I feel sad for the person that gets a batch of those chicken sandwiches on 8/21.  How in the world would the bread hold up that long???

• Haha 1

Anna, please get out of there before they starve you to death! Even ignoring all the plastic packaging (and the packaged water, which is absolutely egregious), this looks to qualify as cruel and unusual treatment. They really expect people to get better when they have to (not) eat that stuff???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

361C1411-A911-4FD7-8551-361FA41E7C50.thumb.jpeg.649af6594e568bca410c62dd56b4264e.jpeg

And there it is — Fibre 1 —  epic failure on the part of the marketing team. 

Well, the fibre-heavy cookies tradenamed as "Bowel Buddies" set the bar pretty low.

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Anna, please get out of there before they starve you to death! Even ignoring all the plastic packaging (and the packaged water, which is absolutely egregious), this looks to qualify as cruel and unusual treatment. They really expect people to get better when they have to (not) eat that stuff???

But you gotta look at the other side of it.  Only the food is an issue and that will be remedied in due time by my friends and family. Other than that I am getting expert medical treatment, caring and considerate nursing staff, friendly and obliging support staff and I would like to be better before I go home !  Otherwise I would be out of here AMA. And I’ve done it before.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😵

Also, I feel sad for the person that gets a batch of those chicken sandwiches on 8/21.  How in the world would the bread hold up that long???

Oh my God I missed that best before date!  But don’t they say Twinkies never die? Maybe the bread uses the same formula.

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

well  

what you need is a 3D- '''   Printed - i.e. assembled ""

sandwich.  Im not going to agonize you with what the Sandwich is

but , we really have a failure of the Trillion-Air

Silicon Moguls.

not for the C***R****A***P that they hide

but the 3-D printer Ive seen at my local library and so many others

seem to make rubber Dinos.

I remember some time back , way back , when in the Comic Books

Dick Tracy had a watch , TV like etc

now you can get that watch at Apple

but  why can't those Nooobs

make a 3-D Printer

that can take the perfect Sandwich

and send that anywhere ?

to @Anna N ?

and no 

I haven't hit the MR just yet

but TJ's has another 4.99  dry white w no oak nor benzene 

Im currently evaluate.

my point is simple :

Put a Smile on @Anna N

face.

• Like 1

Every time I see that "SW" my professional training kicks in to read it as "Solid Waste".

• Haha 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Oh my I can't believe you're full of "sheets".  You just don't strike me as that sort of person.  I agree,  you deserve a huge, wonderful breakfast.

Three sheets to the wind...nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hey Anna do the hospitals out there have a Timmys in them? A lot of them here do and I've seen patients who have lived off of the food while in Hosp. Not everyone's cup of coffee but the sandwiches aren't bad. 

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I hope, Anna, that it was you who took a bite out of that orange!

Not me. That’s the way it arrived.   I don’t think it’s an actual bite.  Perhaps the angle or the lighting?  Anyway it was quite a horrible orange and I only did take two bites of it before  saying bye-bye. 

• Sad 3

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Dick Tracy had a watch

I have the Dick Tracy watch!   Watch your PM for incoming. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Hey Anna do the hospitals out there have a Timmys in them? A lot of them here do and I've seen patients who have lived off of the food while in Hosp. Not everyone's cup of coffee but the sandwiches aren't bad. 

This hospital has a virtual food circus and the food there is extremely good. It’s not cheap. The problem is that I can’t leave my room and the only way I can get food like that is if someone visits and I ask them  to go down there.   Which I have done on other occasions.  I quite enjoyed Timmys Thai soup on my last unfortunate encounter with this institution.  There is even a sushi bar down there much better than you find in supermarkets but not a real sushi bar of course.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog