• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

Kalebanzo? I just about lost it.

I would likely be ordering pizza or Chinese delivery. Do they have Uber Eats in your part of the world?

Seriously, I know hospitals have budget problems, but it seems to me that if you're trying to get people well, it's counterproductive to starve them.

Many good wishes for your speedy recovery. I'll say a prayer.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Anna N, I truly hope this is a very short hospital visit!

Also hope you have lots of good things to read and decent TV to watch and some good company to chat with now and then. And if you have roomies, I hope they are either very quiet or very entertaining.   🙂

• Like 1

When my late wife was in the hospital, they brought her a "turkey dinner" in which the turkey was two slices of deli turkey roll, and not even the better-quality stuff at that.

I brought her meals from home every day, after the first day.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Oh  my goodness, we need to send you something to eat rather than these "meals"! 

Do they surprise you with this pretend food or do you order from a menu?

Let's send take out to Anna's room; what is near you that you'd like? 

Hope you are better soon and out of there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Now for dinner: 

Good LORD and I am looking up to our LORD.  I can't believe this.

My mother-in-law and my father-in-law both have been in the hospital for extended times.  At the very least they can order off of a menu!  However, it wasn't good most of the time.  I remember one lunch was beef stroganoff.  UGH.  My father in law wouldn't  take a bite.  And , when I walked out of his room to go to the bathroom, I discovered that no one in the whole ward wanted it either.   

• Sad 3

When I started this topic two years a go, the last thing I wanted was for anyone else to suffer what I did. Your food looks a lot worse than what I got. At least mine looked like food and I could choose what variety of unseasoned, overcooked sludge I preferred.

Get out out of there ASAP, please!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's my sense that hospital dieticians chart every prescribed (or should that be proscribed) diet that patients might require, then combine them into one daily menu.     I.e, low salt, low fat, low fiber, low acid, bland      And the result is just that.   

Our hospital does let you order off a menu and call in your order to the kitchen three times a day, to be delivered when you choose.    Smart money orders off the back third of the menu which caters to Asian patients.    Not Dragon Palace caliber, but mediocre dim sum, pork buns and chow mein trump gruel and seagull.   

eGullet member #80.

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

so

SW  Salmon Salad WW

can't make much of SW  nor of WW.

ask for seconds , and open the sand.  and lets see what's  inside

im sure eG's here will figure it out.

My best guess: SW is Sandwich. WW is whole wheat.  Salmon salad, although that's troubling given the caveat below indicates a seafood allergy. Best to you @Anna N May your stay be as short as humanly possible. Not that the hospital is helping much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayb said:

I would likely be ordering pizza or Chinese delivery. Do they have Uber Eats in your part of the world?

Thanks for your good wishes! There are people on the floor ordering in pizza but I’m in isolation and the pizza delivery people don’t seem to think they want to mask and gown and glove just to deliver me a pizza!  Wusses. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@IowaDee

exactly.

What wouldn’t I give for a bowl of red Jell-O? They can do so little to make it other than what it is. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@Anna N, I truly hope this is a very short hospital visit!

Also hope you have lots of good things to read and decent TV to watch and some good company to chat with now and then. And if you have roomies, I hope they are either very quiet or very entertaining.   🙂

Thank you for your good wishes.

I gave up TV some months ago and I’m not paying the prices they want for me to watch TV here! I am grateful for no roomies. Almost all rooms in this hospital are private rooms.  Ontario was badly unprepared when the SARS epidemic hit.  This hospital design is a direct result of the deficiencies found then.  All rooms can be made isolation units to some extent and there are rooms like mine which is sort of isolation and can be made even more isolation. Then there are super isolation suites I believe. They have done away with wards which existed in the old hospital. There are some rooms which have adjoining bathroms or something  but for the most part they are fully private and fully self-contained. The bathroom has toilet and shower and sink.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Not that the hospital is helping much.

Thank you for your kind wishes.

Aside from the food, I have been given exemplary care by all of the doctors nurses and support staff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The vegetable mixture was truly horrifying.

Damn we should have smellovision!   Then you could’ve told us how you really felt.

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna, couldn't you have arranged to fall ill on Manitoulin?

How awful would that be? They would’ve shipped me down to Sudbury. 

The link is broken so here is the first verse from Stomping Tom’s “Sudbury Saturday Night:

Da girls are out to Bingo and the boys are gettin' stinko,
And we think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.
The glasses dey will tinkle when our eyes begin to twinkle,
And we'll think no more of Inco on a Sudbury Saturday night.

Edited by Anna N
Broken link (log)
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...   Actually I didn’t. I dreamed that I ate two sheets, a blanket and half a pillow so breakfast had better be edible this morning.

• Haha 13

My 2004 eG Blog

361C1411-A911-4FD7-8551-361FA41E7C50.thumb.jpeg.649af6594e568bca410c62dd56b4264e.jpeg

I couldn’t quite believe my eyes when I opened this!   I thought there were bits of mould in it.  I don’t eat breakfast cereal. Never have. These things are a mystery to me so I had  to read menu to find out what it was that  I was not about to eat.

C857F090-F62F-44AC-86E5-0081B611C88A.thumb.jpeg.79fcd52b0f78f47bd10de7623f827ca6.jpeg

And there it is — Fibre 1 —  epic failure on the part of the marketing team. 

AB9FDE1F-F378-4497-B2B5-E867AF733E1A.thumb.jpeg.6e536d7b4b2aaa71e358bb6136433143.jpeg

The cheese, bland and hardly worthy of the name, was at least a hint of protein on my breakfast tray. I ate the cheese. The muffin was just tolerable but I ate it and that was breakfast.

Oh there was an apple juice. I snatched that for my daughter who enjoys a little taste of apple juice without having to buy a whole lot of it.  She will drink it next time she visits.  

And there is that egregious water again!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Sadly it looks like a breakfast put together from vending machine raids. Does the hospital have a functioning kitchen? Maybe they only reheat institutional food in microwaves. So glad to know your doctors and nurses are good. With this food, people will be running out the hospital doors as soon as they are well (and some will try to escape sooner than that)!  Anna, I'm wishing you strength and some contraband meals.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1