• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Thought I needed to edit something but I think it’s fine so no changes

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Hmmm, out of curiousity, I wonder if you specified Kosher diet if the food would be any better, because it would likely come from an offsite facility. Of course, it would probably still lack salt, and you’d be denied a cheese snack!

When @Kerry Beal visited today we discussed something along those lines.  Just for the sake of argument and not to offend anyone at all what would be best declaration you could make about your dietary needs. Nobody asks you about your dietary likes and dislikes! Nobody asks you if you keep kosher. Nobody asks you if you are vegan but I guess such people don’t need to be asked.  They make their preferences clear.   But on further thought it is not a matter of food preferences but of the taste or lack of it. I don’t think vegan or kosher or halal would fare any better.  We are a multi ethnic nation so I wonder how  our non-WASP hospital population does. I am suspecting it is far worse.  Oakville is largely an enclave of WASPS. I am guessing their families feed them while they are in hospital. And perhaps we should consider that as an option to solve the whole problem. There are countries I believe where the feeding of patients is not the responsibility of the hospital but of the family.  Now there is a thought!   In the back of my mind something is niggling  and suggesting that perhaps hospitals took over the feeding of patients to ensure that they had nutritious food which they were not getting it home. Nutritious food was at one time  considered vital  for recovery from an illness. 

Anna N

Anna N

15 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Hmmm, out of curiousity, I wonder if you specified Kosher diet if the food would be any better, because it would likely come from an offsite facility. Of course, it would probably still lack salt, and you’d be denied a cheese snack!

When @Kerry Beal visited today we discussed something along those lines.  Just for the sake of argument and not to offend anyone at all what would be best declaration you could make about your dietary needs. Nobody asks you about your dietary likes and dislikes! Nobody asks you if you keep kosher. Nobody asks you if you are vegan but I guess such people don’t need to be asked.  They make their preferences clear.   But on further thought it is not a matter of food preferences but of the taste or lack of it. I don’t think vegan or kosher or halal would fare any better.  We are a multi ethnic nation so I wonder how  our non-WASP hospital population does. I am suspecting it is far worse.  Oakville is largely an enclave of WASPS. I am guessing their families feed them while they are in hospital. And perhaps we should consider that as an option to solve the whole problem. There are countries I believe where the feeding of patients is not the responsibility of the hospital but of the family.  Now there is a thought!   In the back of my mind something is niggling  and suggesting that perhaps hospitals took over the feeding of patients to ensure that they had nutritious food which they were not getting it home. Nutritious food was at one time  considered vital  for recovery from an illness.