• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

13 hours ago, helenjp said:

There are some types of food that only ever seem to be served in hospitals. In Japan I swear it is miso soup with bean sprouts AND cabbage AND onion AND sometimes slivers of fried tofu...and a lot less miso than usual. What's the equivalent in China?

A Chinese friend having a baby was moved to take the baby and run out of hospital earl,y because her mother in law would arrive every morning with the daily quota of TEN hard-boiled eggs...

Hope you will soon be on the run too!

Same scenario here but different ingredients. A protein stir fried with some vegetable or other. This is served with fried bok choy/pak choi/青菜 and rice. Every meal.

I've asked around about the eggs. Everyone seems to know the custom, but not the meaning. I'm told the number of eggs varies regionally and that the tradition is dying. I would die too on 10 eggs a day.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Unfortunately, I had no prior warning so nothing is prepared as such, although I'm dreaming of some seafood I know I have in the freezer.

Get well soon!  Bad hospital food knows no borders, I sampled it in Russia, Canada, and USA.  But you can do meal planning in your head for when you get out of there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Get well soon!  Bad hospital food knows no borders, I sampled it in Russia, Canada, and USA.  But you can do meal planning in your head for when you get out of there!

The few times I've been in the hospital I thought the food was actually pretty good.  Including one time I was not supposed to have been given any solid food at all.  They have ways of getting it out of you.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The few times I've been in the hospital I thought the food was actually pretty good.  Including one time I was not supposed to have been given any solid food at all.  They have ways of getting it out of you.

When our youngest was born...about 52 years ago...I was in the Jewish General in Montreal.  The food was terrific and it was here that I was introduced to that wonder of wonders: cheese bagels with sour cream and a bit of jam.  :x:x

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 hours ago, Darienne said:

When our youngest was born...about 52 years ago...I was in the Jewish General in Montreal.  The food was terrific and it was here that I was introduced to that wonder of wonders: cheese bagels with sour cream and a bit of jam.  :x:x

Yes, we still have great food in certain hospitals here. Wake Med is one. The trouble is, if there is anything much wrong with you, you'll be transferred to a more medically intensive hospital where food and service becomes of much less focus. I suppose that is necessary, within the context of our hospital culture. It still seems a shame to me that when people are really suffering the most, the food priority goes down so far when it could be such a comfort to the patients. 

Where the hell are you @liuzhou? Please tell us you are all right!

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Where the hell are you @liuzhou? Please tell us you are all right!

Sorry, I had a day of major tests and have been asleep most of the time.

I was delighted this morning when the doc came to ask if I am allergic to alcohol. I'm now being served a glass of drinking quality Chinese rice wine with each meal, including breakfast.

• Like 13

Some recent meals

20170626_112522.thumb.jpg.a8f3c193cd97be8924cfc63175195bf8.jpg

I was told this was fish. If you have to be told.......

20170626_182645.thumb.jpg.cdc6e72c57e7d17dd294486d092658c6.jpg

Pork and beans. Actually skin, bones and beans. The beans were good.

20170627_113649.thumb.jpg.21db66ed4754866c2820c5dec058b38e.jpg

Pork ribs, fish and tomato. Odd combination. But not bad.

• Like 6

Wow... alcohol!  I never knew hospitals allowed that - nevertheless administered it!  I hope it can make your stay there as pleasant as possible.  Any news of when you'll be able to leave?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

20170627_172402.thumb.jpg.142beba74e22710da1a8ae2ec31bc991.jpg

I'll  let you guess what this is. I'm still guessing and I had to eat it.

That protein looks unfortunately similar to some overcooked pork we had a couple of weeks ago.  There wasn't a bit of fat in that cut, and by the time it had been cooked it had the consistency of cotton.

I'm impressed with the rice wine.  Last year when I spent several days at the hospital, the food was surprisingly good and could be selected from the menu.  (I've forgotten the specific dishes, or I'd elaborate.)  However, there was no wine or beer to be had.  I was met with amused smiles when I mentioned that shortcoming. :-D

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

26 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That protein looks unfortunately similar to some overcooked pork we had a couple of weeks ago.  There wasn't a bit of fat in that cut, and by the time it had been cooked it had the consistency of cotton.

I'm impressed with the rice wine.  

The protein was supposedly chicken but as it came with a fish bone sitting on top, I was slightly confused. The "chicken" also tastes fishy and was as dry and overcooked as your pork.

Although there is a menu, your nutrition is considered part of the cure, so the doctors effectively set your choice. Similarly, the wine, welcome as it is, is prescribed on health grounds. First time I've had a doc offer me wine "on health grounds" and meaning it - no irony intended.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

May you get well fast and get outta there. The rice and some of the veggies look okay. Frankly it looks better than most hospital food in the states. Although, If I couldn't tell one protein source from another I would be a wee bit careful. Anything served with a decorative fish bone on top, especially if it isn't fish, wouldn't give me a whole lot of confidence. I am making the assumption, hopefully correct, that if you are that focussed on taking good pictures of your meals you are more bored than anything else. Boredom in the hospital is usually a good sign. Take care, rice wine bottoms up!

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

20170627_172402.thumb.jpg.142beba74e22710da1a8ae2ec31bc991.jpg

I'll  let you guess what this is. I'm still guessing and I had to eat it.

Am I the only one who sees a little face just above your wrist? 

The kitchen has accidentally discovered umami or the gods are on my side.for once.

20170630_172100.thumb.jpg.509f529866f1def59fd37a6bbd2b0a44.jpg

Pork ribs with shiitake. (And the compulsory Bok Choy). Some flavour for a change. The cook even waved the bottle of soy sauce in the rough direction of the wok for once.

20170630_113629.thumb.jpg.cd1cad89953a0154b6f1ac545addbd3c.jpg

• Like 12

I imagine the shitake helped. I buy large bags and run thru the spice grinder...use a bit of the resulting powder in soups, stews any braised meats, etc .

hope you are on the mend!

• Like 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

31 minutes ago, chefmd said:

@liuzhou When are you getting out?  I am missing the posts of the food that you cooked.  Hope you are OK!

I am worried, too.  It seems like he's been in there a long time!

• Like 2